PDA

View Full Version : More Bullets!

Cadillo
11-17-2009, 10:21 PM
I ran into an old friend today. He's about 80 YOA age now, and I hadn't seen him in about 2 1/2 years. I told him that since I had last seen him, I had taken up bullet casting. I went on to tell him that I had cast a batch or 200 grain .45 SWC's last week and was looking for some more lead as the .45's really use up a lot in a hurry. He told me to come by the house and he would hook me up.

I went by his place and he gave me 300lbs of WW's. I had never before been to his place and didn't even know that he had ever done any casting. I tried to pay him something, but he refused. I offered to give him some centerfire ammo in the caliber of his choice and he said that he only shot .22lr these days. I gave him all that I had in the truck; about 700 rds. I'll take him a lot more here in a few days.

I'll be smelting again next week! :-D

docone31
11-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Not many friends like that anymore.
I wonder if he will like it if you bring him more 22LR.
He sounds like a real treasure.

dolang1
11-18-2009, 10:45 AM
This thread reminded me of an old friend that I lost 6 years ago. He gave me lots of things over the years, including a Walther PPK WWII bring back, but the best thing he ever gave me was advice. Later Don

Ricochet
11-18-2009, 11:23 AM
That's awfully nice of him!

I once had a friend who was getting old give me an Ideal #358432 2-cavity, an Ideal mould for .38 caliber Harvey zinc washer boolits (forget the number), a #452460 2-cavity, a #45 lubesizer, a bunch of cast, sized and lubed #358432 boolits, a couple of Dixie ball moulds made in the old hair crimping irons (.375" & .725"), a bunch of bar solder and some shot for blending alloys. A wonderful, generous gift I'll always remember!

One of these days I'll be unable to carry this hobby on, and I'll pay it forward to some younger fellow.