PDA

View Full Version : ar15 9mm

milltownhunter
11-17-2009, 09:05 PM
ar15 9mm colt or rock river witch is a better gun ? will they feed hollow points?

Gee_Wizz01
11-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Which is better? The one can you get the cheapest. My RR feeds HP's without a glitch, and I have used Golden Sabers, old Winchesters and Star bullets. Mine loves the Lee 356-120-TC boolits which shoot extremely accurately at 50yds (1 1/2" 32 rd groups). I would stay away from the "dedicated receiver" Rock Rivers, as I don't think they are as versatile as the ones built on a standard receiver.

G

12glocks
11-17-2009, 10:59 PM
I have a RRA 9mm CAR. It is a factory built 9mm. It does run great but does not like the C-product mag I got for it. Colt, of course, does built a great AR in general, one of the top tier.

I think mags are the week link in the 9mm AR platform.

BarryinIN
11-18-2009, 11:00 AM
I've only had one 9mm AR, a Colt. It was fine, but I'd suggest you watch the mag quality. Mine took what amounted to a modified UZI mag, which were sold by lots of people...some of whom were better at modifying them than others.
It was easier for me to buy UZI mags and cut the mag catch notch myself than to fix bad ones someone else did.
I know it's the rule with most semiautos that you should try a different mag if you have trouble, but I thought the 9mm AR was more sensitive to it than most. From what I hear, that may be typical of the breed.

I haven't owned that gun in a while, so can't tell you much more about it now. Nothing against the gun. I just found I didn't shoot it near as much as I thought I would, so off it went.

I do want to add that I like Colts. I always have, but something I noticed in the last few years reinforces that: I try to take at least one defensive shooting class each year, usually more, and have had a few Carbine classes in there... and I notice all the instructors use Colts. Full-time instructors see every brand there is, see more rounds fired in a month than most do in a lifetime, and see what lasts and what doesn't. The fact they all have Colts makes an impression with me.
(For whatever reason, classes are hard on guns and make just about any potential problem show up. Maybe it's the number of rounds fired in a short time and/or the heat that brings it on, but it happens and seems to be a good way to weed out problem guns. People bring guns that have been fine for hundreds or thousands of rounds, then crash and burn in a 3-day/800-round class.)
But does that high opinion of .223 Colts carry over to 9mm ARs? I have no idea.

Russel Nash
11-18-2009, 11:55 AM
DISCLAIMER: I don't have a 9mm AR.

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Seriously, I think whatever 9mm platform that would work the best is the one that gets the 9mm round closest to the chamber. So, in my opinion that is the one that has the mag block closest to the muzzle end of the gun.