PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP - Lee Molds, 6 vs 2 cavity, TL vs Conv.

azshtr
11-17-2009, 11:24 AM
I am now getting ready to seriously start thinking about bullet casting and need some guidance on the following.

If you are using or have used Lee molds I would appreciate your input as to quality, tumble lube type vs conventional lube type and 6 cavity vs 2 cavity.

I would cast for most of the popular pistol calibers but at this point am still unsure about spending the extra to purchase a few rifle molds as I don't shoot rifle that much any longer.

Also which mold design is best suited for .45 ACP as I have a couple of Colt's model 70 and 80 which DO NOT like SWC profiles.

44man
11-17-2009, 11:38 AM
I get better results with TL boolit by using Felix lube or Lar's lubes then I get with LLA. Just because the grooves are small does not mean you need to TL. Boolit design is more important.

blaster
11-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Get the 6 cavity and you will be ruined for 2 cavity molds. The only bad thing about the 6 cavity mold is that if you use it hard for a day or two you end up with so many boolits that you don't need to cast that design for a year. I have had good results with the tumble lube boolits.

Check out the lee precision web site. They have 1/2dzn or molds for the 45acp.

mike in co
11-17-2009, 12:32 PM
if you get the 6 , which i do reccommend, get a 20 lb pot. consistant temp and pour stream produce consitant boolits.

get some sample boolits from people here prior to buying the mould. you will be able to see how well they fit and function in your gun.....(dont ask me how i know about this...lol)

mike in co

mdi
11-17-2009, 12:53 PM
For your 45 ACP just use the round nose 230 gr. .451" (TL452-230-2R). I've read but can't confirm that the "1 R" nose shape doesn't feed properly is some guns, but the "2 R" feeds well in most everthing. I believe a tumble lube bullet mold is good for starting out; no costly luber-sizer to buy. Check out this good tutiorial on tumble lubing. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654

2 cavity vs. 6 cavity is mostly personal choice. I like casting boolits and I have no quota to make, and I'm in no rush to make 10,000 boolits in one or two sittings. A couple hundred at a time is good for me so I just use 2 cavity molds (I've even got a couple single cavity Ideal/Lyman molds). Sometimes I'll only cast up a couple dozen if I'm experimenting. Sometimes I'll use two molds during a session, casting two different boolits. So, if you want to cast up a lot at one time, go for a 6 cavity mold.

sqlbullet
11-17-2009, 02:32 PM
I have 6 cavity Lee molds:
175 gr .401 SWC TL
158 gr .358 FRN

I also have a 2 cavity Lee molds:
175 gr .401 SWC TL
240 gr .430 SWC

I am spoiled by the 6 cavity molds. They cast great bullets.

My 6-cav .401 had an issue with one of the alignment pins falling out, but a set screw fixed that up.

Leftoverdj
11-17-2009, 05:29 PM
The Lee six cavity moulds are far better quality and longer lasting than the two cavities. I prefer conventional lube groove designs except for wadcutters. I shoot very large quanties of WCs and tumble lubing is a significant time savings.

putteral
11-17-2009, 05:44 PM
I have 2 Lee 6 cavities in .45 auto. Their 200 SWC and their 200 RNFP. Tumble lube both with great results. I started out with a couple of 2 cavity molds and changed to the 6's. Can sure crank out a lot of boolits in no time at all.
:drinks:

jack19512
11-17-2009, 06:53 PM
I can only comment on the two cavity as that is all I have. Around 15 of them now. I have never had any problems with any of mine and really have had no desire for the six cavity ones. Now I will admit if I shot a lot more than I do(a thousand instead of a hundred a month) and had to cast a lot of boolits I might think about getting the six cavity molds.

Another reason I stick with the two cavity molds instead of the six cavity ones is that I have tried boolits that didn't work out for me for whatever reason or found one I like better and I would much rather have a two cavity mold sitting on the shelf unused rather than one of the more expensive six cavity ones.

mooman76
11-17-2009, 09:06 PM
I'd start out with a 2 cavity mould. It's easier than the 6 cavity for someone starting out. Then you can deside later after you get into it more if you want to jump to a 6. You really only need the 6 if you know you will be shooting one particular bullet allot. Another thought is you can buy more 2 cavity moulds because they are cheaper and if you take care of them they will last a long time. Do get the big pot though. It works better and if you switch to 6x you will already have it.
As far as TL vs regular I don't pay to much mind to it. I get the bullet design I like. You can TL either design. If you will be getting a lube sizer some time soon you might not want to get the TL bullets. They will still work but don't hold as much lube. A round nose design does best in the 45 or even a TC bullet of your's doesn't like SWC.

docone31
11-17-2009, 09:10 PM
I am a biggee for, and I use, Lee 2 Cavity 200gn RF in my ACPs.
Never looked back.
Water dropped wheel weight, sized to .452.
I make my lube.
Never looked back.

lwknight
11-18-2009, 12:02 AM
Only think better than a 6 cavity would be a 10 cavity. LOL

JIMinPHX
11-18-2009, 01:03 AM
If you think that your gun can't feed wadcutters, then you might want to try a magazine with a different type of feed lips. Post #5 on this thread will show you what I mean.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=42221

MT Gianni
11-18-2009, 01:11 AM
I use a lot of 2 cavity molds. Most of mine are Lyman and RCBS. There is a reason they cost more and it's more than marketing.

nonferrous
11-18-2009, 10:28 AM
I find the Lee 6 cavity molds are easier to use than the double. Something about the balance and that they work better with the rest that is built into the 4-20 pot.
Also, once it gets up to temperature and the boolits start dropping, it doesn't take long to cast 1000 boolits.

Ricochet
11-18-2009, 11:31 AM
For a .45, no question you should go with the 6 cavity mould. The production capacity will spoil you. They're also better made.

I use Lee's TL452-230-TC and have never looked back. It feeds like a champ in my Series 70 Government Model and Rock Island Armory 1911, both unmodified. Tumble lubing lightly with LLA is quick and easy, works perfectly in the .45, and no sizing is necessary.

fredj338
11-18-2009, 02:51 PM
I find the Lee 6 cavity molds are easier to use than the double. Something about the balance and that they work better with the rest that is built into the 4-20 pot.
Also, once it gets up to temperature and the boolits start dropping, it doesn't take long to cast 1000 boolits.

I find the 6cav easier to casst w/ better design, better alignment than the 2cav. They also don't seem to overheat as quickly as the 2cav. JMO, I would buy the 6cav. Remember to buy handles, they are not included. Yes a 20# pot is almot mandatory for 6cav molds.

mpmarty
11-18-2009, 07:02 PM
I've got four six banger LEE molds, three two cavity LEE molds and some Lyman/Ideal two cavity rifle molds as well as a single cav. RCBS mold for 405gr 45/70 boolits. By far the best molds to work with day in and day out are the LEE six bangers. I can get great boolits out of them first time and every time. The LEE TL230 TC is my newest as the 200gr semi wad cutters don't work at all in my XD45 and the reason is the straight line extraction where the rim of the extracted case strikes the shoulder on the wad cutter and causes all kinds of problems including stripping the fired case off the extractor and driving the top round in the magazine into a nose down jam. This boolit works fine in all my other 45acp pistols but I still like to use the 200 gr semi wad cutter for the nice clean holes it makes in targets. Back to the original question, the six hole LEE is a better, easier to use and longer lasting mold than their two holers.

epj
11-18-2009, 11:44 PM
While the 6 holer is a better quality mold than the 2 holer, the double cavity will work fine if you keep the alignment pins lubed. They are, after all, less than 20 bucks from many vendors. Try the bullet design with a 2 cavity and make sure it's what you want. If you get into casting in a bigger way, spring for the 6 cavity and dump the 2 cavity on eBay. You'll get most of your money out of it. I vastly prefer the traditional grooves and lubes. In fact, I really like the really harder lubes that require heat, such as Lars Carnauba Red. I use a Lyman 4500 with heater. I don't want to deal with sticky boolits while loading.

azshtr
11-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks everyone. Some really GOOD information given which I would have never thought of as a newbee regarding casting.

Getting a few sample bullets before purchasing molds seems like a great idea.

Another was the failure to feed SWC in my Colt MK4 '70 & '80 replies a great one from JIMinPHX and a couple of PM's.

Appreciate it and again THANKS.

XWrench3
11-23-2009, 09:50 AM
i have a 6 hole lee tumble lube 230g round nose mold. it works great for me. i do not size them. i just double tumble lube them, and shoot them. no problems what-so-ever with them. if you are going to do much shooting, get the six hole mold(s). you can make a big pile of boolits in not much time. also, keep a damp, damp towel right next to your pot to cool the mold off with. you will need it! i also have six hole molds for 44, 40, & 38. if they made them for rifles, i would sell off my 2 hole molds and re buy 6 hole molds for my rifles as well!