PDA

View Full Version : Slugs through a Mossber 835?

Rick N Bama
11-17-2009, 05:26 AM
With my CRS disease I may be bad wrong, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that slugs should not be fired in the Mossberg 835 due to the overbored barrel. Am I right in thinking that? Also, what choke should be used for firing slugs through a smoothbore shotgun barrel (not the 835)?

Thanks guys,

Rick

ETA: Never mind, I just answered my own question by visiting Mossberg's website. thanks anyway!!

woody12
11-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Not familiar with the gun in question so can comment. On the choke front give your cylinder and imp cylinder a try. Althought you can use choke up to full there is little point as few guns groups well beyond improved.
David.

Gunfixer
11-19-2009, 06:56 PM
In the instructions, it says DO NOT use slugs in any 835 barrel EXCEPT the slug barrel. They do not say why, but I suspect that a hollow base forster type could start sideways and collapse the sidewall enough to get it completely sideways and maybe split the barrel or at least cause a bore obstruction. I don see how a Lyman, or any other sabot type or a brenneke with the screwed on wad could. That being said, I have 2 835's and I went ahead got the slug barrel too. 24" rifle sights and ported(fooey) still havent shot it yet

Johnch
11-20-2009, 01:18 AM
835's vent rib barrels are back bored to almost 10 gauge bore dia
Not the best for accuracy
Also some slugs that use a hard over powder card will loose lots of velosity

Maybe they are afraid of a stuck slug if one of the well under sized slugs looses to much pressure

John

Rick N Bama
11-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Maybe they are afraid of a stuck slug if one of the well under sized slugs looses to much pressure

John

That's exactly what happened to the 835 in question (no, it wasn't my gun), then the next shot caused the barrel to split almost back to the receiver.

Rick