PDA

View Full Version : TL452-230-2R and XD's

d_striker
11-17-2009, 02:37 AM
I was planning on getting this mold from Midway but then read a review by a guy that said he couldn't get his XD to run these reliably...

He says that, "The fired brass catches on the exposed edge of these bullets."

I'm wondering if he just didn't seat the micro groove portion deep enough into the case.

Have any of you guys used the above mold in an XD 45? I use the TL356-124-2R in my XDm w/o any problems.

sagacious
11-17-2009, 03:12 AM
I have definitely seen what your guy describes with that mold, and in that caliber.

In my experience, the solution you propose is actually the cause of the malfunction. If the bullet is seated deeply, the case-mouth edge is prominently exposed right at the edge of the leading microband edge, and during extraction the fired case rim can contact and catch on the exposed case-mouth of the topmost cartridge in the mag.

The fix is to seat the bullet such that the case-mouth is located just behind the leading edge of the first microband, by say, .010" or so. Adjust the seating depth for your individual firearm. I can say from experience, that .010" or .020" longer OAL can make all the difference in this situation. Slightly longer OAL should not pose any problems with increased pressure, and as long as the rounds stack easily in the mag, you're set.

Occasionally, one will encounter this same situation with a traditional semi-wadcutter in the 45ACP-- deep seating with the case-mouth right at the very leading edge of the forward driving band or bearing surface. The stoppages due to this condition can often be diagnosed by finding small semi-circular "chinks" or "bite marks" taken out of the case mouths of ejected brass, caused by the fired case rim contacting the case-mouth edge of the next-to-be-loaded round, as described above. Seating the bullet slightly longer can be the fix, although this solution may seem counterintuitive at first.

A very slight taper crimp can also be helpful here, and inadequate case-mouth tension and too-small sizing diameter can also cause stoppages as described by your guy. That mold-- which drops a 2R 230gr slug-- should be shootable from any and all 45ACP's. It's not a problematic profile, but like all bullets, needs to be loaded and seated properly. Awareness of these factors should lead to high-quality handloaded ammo with that bullet.

Best of luck, hope this helps! :drinks:

Marlin Hunter
11-17-2009, 03:16 AM
I was planning on getting this mold from Midway but then read a review by a guy that said he couldn't get his XD to run these reliably...

He says that, "The fired brass catches on the exposed edge of these bullets."

I'm wondering if he just didn't seat the micro groove portion deep enough into the case.

Have any of you guys used the above mold in an XD 45? I use the TL356-124-2R in my XDm w/o any problems.

That is interesting. I am not sure quit what is being claimed, but I think he means that after the round is fired and the slide comes back, the rear of the empty case hit's the ridge of the 2R boolit at the top of the magazine.

He might have seated it too deep.

I don't have an XD, but I have that boolit and fired it out of a S+W 645 and few dozen different 1911's (friends guns). I never had a problem. I suggest the truncated cone TL 230 grain Lee boolit. I think you will be happy with it.

d_striker
11-17-2009, 03:23 AM
That is interesting. I am not sure quit what is being claimed, but I think he means that after the round is fired and the slide comes back, the rear of the empty case hit's the ridge of the 2R boolit at the top of the magazine.

He might have seated it too deep.

I don't have an XD, but I have that boolit and fired it out of a S+W 645 and few dozen different 1911's (friends guns). I never had a problem. I suggest the truncated cone TL 230 grain Lee boolit. I think you will be happy with it.

Thanks for the info...

Why do you recommend the truncated cone over the 2R boolit? The 2R has a higher BC (.189) than the TC (.146). Is this even a significant difference?

RobS
11-17-2009, 03:30 AM
That could have been me concerning the shoulder of the bullet being caught up on the ejected case coming out creating a jam. You can make the bullet work in the XD as I did, but I had to seat the bullet deeper than what hardball type bullets call for. I figured that if I was to seat shorter then I would instead use a truncated bullet as I like flat meplats better anyway. Not a big deal if..........and only if you start at the minimum charge or slightly less to make sure you do not have a kabooom with your gun.

d_striker
11-17-2009, 03:39 AM
That could have been me concerning the shoulder of the bullet being caught up on the ejected case coming out creating a jam. You can make the bullet work in the XD as I did, but I had to seat the bullet deeper than what hardball type bullets call for. I figured that if I was to seat shorter then I would instead use a truncated bullet as I like flat meplats better anyway. Not a big deal if..........and only if you start at the minimum charge or slightly less to make sure you do not have a kabooom with your gun.

Looks like a Roger Tucker left that review.

I've never shot any TC boolits. Why do you like these better?

timkelley
11-17-2009, 11:52 AM
As I suggested on the other thread, try sizing your boolit at 0452.

Someone else also suggested a medium speed powder such as Unique instead of a fast powder like Bullseye. I cannot vouch for this.

d_striker
11-17-2009, 12:57 PM
As I suggested on the other thread, try sizing your boolit at 0452.

Someone else also suggested a medium speed powder such as Unique instead of a fast powder like Bullseye. I cannot vouch for this.

Ummmm, I don't have the mold yet....

Marlin Hunter
11-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the info...

Why do you recommend the truncated cone over the 2R boolit? The 2R has a higher BC (.189) than the TC (.146). Is this even a significant difference?

I like the TC boolit because it leaves a bigger and slightly cleaner hole in the paper. The flat face (meplat) seems to be better at stopping animals (according to other people; I didn't test it myself). I have heard of some people having feed problems with TC bullets (not Lee's), but of all the 45's that me and my friends have, I have never personally seen a misfeed.

The Ballistic Coefficient by itself has nothing to do with accuracy. It only changes the rate at which velocity changes. The lower BC boolit slows down faster and takes longer to reach the target. The longer it takes to reach the target the more time it has to react to external forces like wind. There are some ballistic programs available on the internet for free. Put the 2 different coefficients in the program and see what the difference is. My guess is about 1/3 to 3/4 inch drop @ 25 yards, maybe 2 inches @ 50 yards.

The 45 ACP round is not designed for long range. I think 30 yards is max useful range although it will have reasonable accuracy a little over 50 yards. (you could hit a torso size target that is standing still).

bigboredad
11-18-2009, 01:39 PM
d striker i tried those exact bullets out of my xd and even when sized properly I could not get them to run reliably. I switched to the 230gr tc tl which actually drops 240 from straight ww and sized to .452 as noclue recommended and they ran perfectly out of my xd