PDA

View Full Version : Vibrate clean loaded rounds?

nonferrous
11-16-2009, 07:04 PM
I have seen reference made on this site as to cleaning loaded rounds in a vibratory type cleaner.
As much labor as this would save, it does not seem like a safe and sane process. I would never do it, unless the brain trust here would say that it has been done and without the obvious problems.

I have been told that there is no such thing as a dumb question, I have a feeling that this stretches that old saying.

Thanks

mold maker
11-16-2009, 07:25 PM
I've done it for short periods of time to remove sizing lube from the cases. Never over 15 min, and usually less. Thats less vibration than powder gets during shipment in loaded ammo. Don't use mineral spirits in the media.

Casting Timmy
11-16-2009, 07:27 PM
There's another thread on this one......see if I can do this right or not.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66453&highlight=tumble+loaded+rounds

Actually a good discussion going on with it.

flinter62
11-16-2009, 07:46 PM
There is a military surplus not far from me that would clean surplus ammo in a cement mixer.I shot it with no problem.

nonferrous
11-17-2009, 12:37 AM
After all that has been said in the 2 threads, it looks like cleaning loaded rounds like this is ok. It will take some of the hand work out of the project and I think the loaded ammo will be a lot cleaner to handle and shoot.

After reading the article by John Pride, I think I will go to the range tomorrow.

Thanks

mdi
11-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Two schools of thought on this subject. Yes, do it; Ammo manufacturers do it and it is entirely safe. No don't do it; tumbling can "grind" up the powder and change the burning charistics, unsafe.

I don't do it, but for no other reason than it isn't necessary for my reloading style.