PDA

View Full Version : Mec 9000.... stuck in the middle...

acemedic13
11-16-2009, 01:36 PM
I just picked up a mec 9000 for absolutely free. It was just one of those things, and i'm glad i got it. I brought it home and cleaned it and set it up. After loading about 300 rounds with it, it started getting stuck in the "half down" stroke. It would eventually free up and index, but it's hit and miss. With it being more and more fequent with it sticking. It seems as if it is hitting something and hanging up, not allowing to bottom out full stroke. I checked in the manual and made all adjustments to each station as it states in the trouble shooting guide, and it's still not going full stroke. I can't see where it is getting stuck. I ran it through the motions with no shells on the indexing plate, and still have the same issue. What the heck am, I missing?!?? I am sure it is something super easy. If any of you guys out there know these machines well and know of the hang ups and short cuts I would really appreciate the input. Thanks......

AJ Peacock
11-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Mine does that occasionally. I think it happens when some shot get's 'loose' around the center post/spring assembly. Don't know a good way to clean it out, but that's what I've deduced after a lot of looking/cussing. I don't know how many 10's of thousands of rounds I've loaded on mine before it ever started doing that.

AJ

acemedic13
11-16-2009, 03:09 PM
I did find some shot around the machine in cracks and crevices. I cleaned what I found and It is still sticking. Taking this thing apart is sorta scary to me. It reminds me of that old timey game "mouse trap". I am gonna get back to it this evening and see what I can make happen. Thanks for the input.

powderburnerr
11-16-2009, 04:01 PM
might try and turn it upside down after emptying it and cycle it some and see if something falls out..............Dean

Patrick L
11-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Make sure spent primers aren't piling up under the deprime station and creating a "tower" that hangs things up. Happened to me once with a Grabber.

SWIAFB
11-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Take the collett sizer out and clean real good. Same thing happened to me last time I ran my 9000. It had a couple of small pellets that got between the pedals of the collett.

acemedic13
11-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys! Will do. I am gonna get on it in the morning.

Rockydog
11-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Mine sometimes sticks on the way up. It's always the collet sizer. It opens with a "pop" hard enough to flip the primer over in the seating cup. A little Rem Dry lube seems to free it up for about 500 rounds and it needs a spritz or two again. RD

HeavyMetal
11-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Take the sizing collet out clean it and the area it goes in then very lightly put a small amount of antsize on the outside of the "petal" area this will keep it from sticking in the future provided no shot gets in it.

acemedic13
11-17-2009, 08:42 AM
I thought I had all the shot out of the collet sizer.....That was the first thing I looked at, (because that was the first thing the manual said to check). Well I thought wrong. 2 small pieces of #9 shot were trapped between the "petals". The first time I cleaned it out I neglected to clean the intrernal area around it. They must have been lurking in there, and ambushed the collet when I put it all back together.

This has brought me to another area of concern.........Have any of you taken the shell plate off in order to clean under it? I have been wiping it down as best I can between use. But a lot of grime builds up under it. I have the manual, but any helpful advice would be appreciated. Ya' know, stuff like "hold the lever a quarter down, slide the bolt halfway before".......

Thanks again guys. This thing is a lot of fun and the price was definately right!

HeavyMetal
11-17-2009, 10:35 AM
A spray of simple green and then a little compressed air after it sits a moment has been my best cleaning process so far.

Thought about brake cleaner but figured it would remove the paint as well!

lurch
11-17-2009, 12:37 PM
What hangs mine up:

Collet sizer or the wad hanging in the fingers as it is just entering the hull. The wad thing is a little unnerving as when it lets loose and finally gets into the hull, the wad pressure spring puts out a nice loud pop.

To clean under the shell plate, I THINK (the thing's not in front of me right now, going from memory) there is a hole in the center column that you can use to slide a pin through and hold the spring up. The shell plate should slide up after that is done and you can get at it.

acemedic13
11-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks lurch, worked perfect!

lurch
11-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Anytime.

acemedic13
11-22-2009, 08:20 PM
I had another issue!! This sucker started doing it again! If I worked the lever down slowly with a slight "hop" when i pushed down on it, it would not stick. I finally found the culprit on that. A small piece of shot had wedged between the spring and the spring post. It had sheared slightly and would still allow some movement. I cleared it out and went through that thing again. Works like a champ again........Live and learn.... Thanks guys!