PDA

View Full Version : Case Tumbler/cleaner question, Thumbler vs Lortone

omgb
05-10-2006, 08:27 AM
I've been thinking of switching from a vibratory case cleaner and dry media to a tumbler-type with wet ceramic media. For regular shooting, the vibratory type works well except that I have to constantly clear fragments of walnut/corn cob from the primer pockets. Now that's a major PITA I could seriously live without. However, for BPCR, case cleaning is a two step process that involves washing, drying and then tumbline and primer pocket clearing. I was thinking that switching over to a tumbler-type and wet ceramic media just might be the better deal. The question is, is this really a better method than vibratory cleaning?

The other question is, if tumbling with wet ceramic is better, which machine? RCBS makes a machine but at what, $250 its at least $100 more than the other top two competitors. Thumbler makes the Model B which at 16 lbs capcity and $150 plus $20 shipping means a $170 cash out lay. Lortone makes a 12 lb. capcity machine for about $30 less. Of the last two, Thumbler and Lortone, which machine is the quieter, bettr made, most efficient etc. ? Also, who carries either at the best discounted price? I did a search and the afore mentioned prices seem to be about the best I could find. Have any of you seen any better prices?

OK, that's it. I'm all ears.

powderburnerr
05-10-2006, 10:20 AM
I got a thumblers model B and it works fine for small lots of brass but I have a small plastic tub cement mixer that works even better it cost less than the thumblers and does way more cases . I use 25 # of media in it . It will do the same job in almost 1/2 the time .. I did play with pully size a bit to slow it down . It is outside so the noise is a mute point. the insides if the cases are as clean as the out and the primer pockets are clean as well ...the diagonal cut media is way better than the round and the directions say to run it for 12 hours first . this is a good idea as it takes the tiny edges off the media and keeps it from sticking in the cases . Dave mauers media doesnt do this . ..you want to find the shortest diagonal cut media you can get , also be aware there is polishing media and burnishing media ... one wears down brass the other just polishes it . . when using it keep the water level to a minimum as it will float the media off the brass and also use the additive as directed if you use too much it doesnt help ... Dean