PDA

View Full Version : 45LC revolver pawl ?

Changeling
11-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Dale53 mentioned having this modified in another post. I'm not quite sure of what the pawl does.

Is this what controls the revolving of the cylinder?

If not, is there anyway to "STOP" the cylinder from getting so scratched up?

Is there anyway for me to polish out the cylinder marks on a stainless Ruger 45LC .

Dale53
11-15-2009, 04:13 PM
The pawl rotates the cylinder (and refuses to let it rotate backwards to alighn if you have "overshot the runway"). The new Ruger Pawl on the .44 Lipsey Special, 50th Anniversarys, and the New Vaqueros have addressed this problem in a very neat way (allowing you to load and unload in the dark, if need be).

Power Custom makes a Ruger Free Spin Pawl that allows you to rotate the cylinder either way to line up for loading and unloading:

http://powercustom.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=133

There is also a modification to your existing pawl to allow you to rotate the cylinder backwards to align:

http://rugerforum.net/showthread.php?t=17014

scroll down to the Iowegan's post for a picture of a modified pawl.

I understand that some pistolsmiths can tune the revolver to eliminate the cylinder "turn mark" but I am not familiar, specifically, with the procedure.

Dale53

captaint
11-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Changeling, Those marks on the outside of the cylinder are just drag marks from the locking bolt. Don't worry about those. Even if you did polish them out, they would just be back again anyway. Let it be. Enjoy Mike

Changeling
11-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks guys. I was hoping there was a way to stop those marks, guess not!

Dale53, that would be nice, I'll give it some thought. Like that "missing the runway" remark, says it all.

Dale53, that reamer you bought to fix your cylinder throats, did you need any special equipment to use it? Interesting.

targetshootr
11-16-2009, 06:15 PM
There is a way to fix the cylinder line, I think it involves adjusting the length of the hammer plunger. Do a search on the Ruger forum to find out for sure.

It looks like you can adjust the cylinder latch too. Both ways require some know-how.

Dale53
11-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Changeling;
I did not buy the reamer. My good friend and shooting buddy bought it for his Rugers. He offered the use of it to me. It is a Manson Reamer from Brownell and it comes, in a set, with several different diameter pilots. You use the pilots as "pin gauges" to check your cylinder and use the one that fits. This perfectly aligns the reamer as you cut.

You use the reamer by hand, driving it with a "T" handle tap handle of the appropriate size. You DO need a good cutting oil, and need to go slowly and carefully. It is an easy job - no more than ten minutes.

Incidentally, my pistolsmith did the pawl modification on my Ruger SS Bisley .45 Convertible and it works like a charm.

Dale53