PDA

View Full Version : Spanish '93 & Turk Compatibility?

Bug
05-09-2006, 10:53 PM
I have a spanish Oviedo mauser. The barrel is in poor shape. Will a small-thread (.980 X 12 tpi?)turk barrel fit this action? Is it likely to headspace close enough to be able to fireform without having to have it re-headspaced? I.e., set back, and rechambered? It would sure be a quick & easy fix, if all I have to do is switch barrels. First-hand experience appreciated, but I'll take opinions, too! Thanks.

CaptDave
05-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Bug,
It might work. The turk has the same thread as the 93-96 mauser action. I have a friend who installed a Swead barrel on a Turk action with no problems. BTW, I am looking for a Spanish short rifle rear sight, if your poor shpe barrel is of the short rifle variety, I'll buy it from you to get the sight.

Capt Dave

Antietamgw
05-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Bug,

Were you looking to just fit up the barrel and then fireform brass to that chamber? Works on my 7X57 Rolling Block and '93.

As far as fitting the barrel, thread form and size are the same. There were some variations in shank length. A friend has noted that he was amazed at how little difference there is in headspace dimension when mixing and matching parts. That's probably so and you can probably safetly fit a Swede barrel to a Swede reciever, etc. without needing a lathe or reamers. It might work with Spanish/Swedish/German combinations without machine work. I don't know as I always true them up first. I've grafted a bunch of small ring barrels on various Turks, Swede's, '93-'95's. I set up the shank length for .002 clearance to the extractor after trueing the front reciever ring. I also like to set the barrels back 1/2 a thread and ream to SAAMI minimum. Usually makes for easier resizing of brass/longer brass life. Neck diameter is still whatever it was from the factory.

biggome
05-11-2006, 04:12 AM
CaptDave,

I have the rear sight you need if you can use one that has had the V cut squared off. I have a Spanish 1916 short rifle that I cut the severely worn from cleaning end of the barrel off and then fitted the original front sight onto the larger OD portion of the barrel that remained, I then filed down the now way too high front sight and matched the rear sight to it (thought I used it elevated quite a bit for cast bullet use).

Don't let the general opinion of the old Spanish rifles being made of soft steel scare you. Sure, they don't wear so well, but in my case softer steel was in my favor, I survived a 100,000+ PSI (a case full of WST) boobytrap load though my old Mauser didn't.

Paul

Bret4207
05-11-2006, 07:15 AM
You'll find a few lovers of the old Mauser designs here. Just 'cuz it's a "91, "93,4,5" and not a "98" doesn't means it's no good. Public opinion works in our favor gentlemen, as the prices stay lower that way!

swheeler
05-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Bug; the turk bbl probably has a thread shank length of .775" and the 93 around .625" meaning you'd have to face off the chamber end .150" and rechamber to headspace. The small ring 93 (and clones) torques up on the shank shoulder, if you screwed the turk bbl all the way in you couldn't close the bolt.