PDA

View Full Version : sub - caliber device question

Ivantherussian03
11-15-2009, 01:12 PM
What would be the advantage of using a sub-caliber device when hunting?

I read about them in a book about poaching and did not see the point the author was making. I kinda figure it is just more bunk the author passed off.

MtGun44
11-18-2009, 09:48 PM
I presume you mean one of those inserts that let you shoot a pistol cartridge in
a rifle. My guess is that it would be a lot quieter than a full power rifle load.

Bill

jhalcott
11-19-2009, 12:48 AM
I tried a couple of these devices where you can load certain pistol rounds in rifle chambers. As a rule ,they aren't all that accurate. They CAN be used to dispatch wounded game from close shots. Thus preventing LARGE nasty wounds and meat loss. The shots would be quite a bit quieter also. I had them in .30, 35 and .22 caliber for testing some years ago. Some states didn't allow their use as a killing tool. So you better check the reg's where you plan on using one!

Bullshop Junior
11-19-2009, 01:00 AM
I think that it would be inaccurate because of free bore. Think about a 22 LR in a 223 case. That is quite a bit of free bore before it is slammed into the rifling. Same thing with one for 32 ACP to 7.62X54R, or the 22 LR ones for single action revolvers. They are not rifled so I just do not see now it could be accurate.
That's my 2 cents

ETG
11-19-2009, 01:43 AM
I think that it would be inaccurate because of free bore. Think about a 22 LR in a 223 case. That is quite a bit of free bore before it is slammed into the rifling. Same thing with one for 32 ACP to 7.62X54R, or the 22 LR ones for single action revolvers. They are not rifled so I just do not see now it could be accurate.
That's my 2 cents

Well a shotgun with a rifled choke is more accurate than a straight bore and that is a hellofalot more free bore.

DanWalker
11-19-2009, 02:04 AM
WAAAAAAAAAY Back in the 20th century when I had a jar head and used to dress up like a tossed salad, we used sub caliber training devices. The AT4 antitank rocket was our standard issue tank buster in those days. Thanks to President Clintons bone deep budget cuts, we couldn't afford to shoot these things very often. They came up with a sub caliber insert for it that fired 9mm tracer rounds. They were quite accurate out to around 400 meters or so. They were pretty quiet too. I even met a guy who'd been accidentally shot in the throat with one by his platoon sergeant.
Don't know how well the inserts work in rifles, but you can probably work up a very effective cast boolit load that will be just as quiet, if not quieter. It'll also probably be more accurate to boot.
I have loads for my win 94 trapper in 45LC that use a 320 grain hammer boolit, and are quieter than my airgun. They've been used with great success to kill backyard bunnies intent on decimating our flowerbeds.

waksupi
11-19-2009, 03:47 AM
You can make an insert for a Sharps rifle fairly easily. Get a section of rifle barrel, turn it to fit into the chamber, with rim cut. Use an O-ring on the forward part to keep it in position. Cut the chamber to accept a shotgun primer, and find the appropriate size buckshot to fit the barrel. Good for grouse and rabbits at close range, and nearly silent.

Cactus Farmer
11-19-2009, 04:12 AM
"WAAAAAAAAAY Back in the 20th century when I had a jar head and used to dress up like a tossed salad......" DanWalker

Please hand me a handy-wipe to clean the buggers off my keyboard........it's way too late to laugh that hard!

45 2.1
11-19-2009, 08:58 AM
For those of you who don't know and haven't tried these, they are quite accurate to the limits of the smaller cartridge used. I have a couple. The one I use most is the 32 ACP cartridge in a 30-06 body. The 32 ACP cartridge is forward and sets where the neck of the 3006 does. It shoots to battle sights and will place all its shots under your thumbnail at 25 yards if you do your part. A pinch of powder and the proper size buckshot will do very nicely in all the rifles i've tried them in also. Try it out, you'll like it.

What would be the advantage of using a sub-caliber device when hunting? Replace the hunting in this statement with poaching and the answer is a large noise level reduction.

richbug
11-19-2009, 10:20 AM
That's my 2 cents

No different than my Ciener conversion for my AR. It will shoot 2 MOA with Walmart ammo.