PDA

View Full Version : Yard sale shotguns

BD
11-15-2009, 12:08 PM
We were off to take the dogs for a walk yesterday when we found a yard sale down the road. On one of the table was a pair of shotguns, a "western arms branch" Ithaca long range double in 20 guage and an Ithaca M 37 featherweight in 12. Both in good shape with bright shiney bores. The little 20 SxS looked just right for my wife, and in the end I walked away with both of them for $350.00. The SXS has a 5 digit serial number and the M37 is a six digit. How'd I do? Anyone know how to research the serial numbers on these?
BD

WILCO
11-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Sounds like you done good.

troy_mclure
11-15-2009, 12:34 PM
ive always wanted a feather weight.

Ricochet
11-15-2009, 01:50 PM
You done good.

oldhickory
11-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Here's a list of sr#s for Ithica Gun Company. Mine is 531xxx, made in 1953.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=226627&SearchTerms=ithaca

I hope the link works.

BD
11-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks, It looks like the model 37 was made in 1966. My wife would like me to sell it to offset the cost of "her" SxS, but it sure handles a lot nicer than my mossberg. I might need to shoot it a bit before I make up my mind. Are these older M37's able to handle any of the non-lead shot? Most of my use for a 12 gauge would be waterfowl.
BD

oldhickory
11-15-2009, 05:01 PM
I really don't know about using steel as I've never shot any myself, I only use mine for upland game. Google Ithica Gun Co. they have a phone number on their website and ask them.

My M37 Feather Lite handles a whole lt better than my Remington 870...You may want to reconsidder selling it. They really do handle very nicely!:smile:

OldBob
11-15-2009, 05:10 PM
You done GOOD !! My model 37 has killed a boatload of ducks and geese in the days before steel shot........ I refuse to ruin it with that garbage.... but better yet, find yourself a slug barrel for it, mine shoots like a rifle and has accounted for a bunch of deer ( makes a nice house broom too !), only drawback is it will shake yer fillings loose so don't plan on a nice day of benchrest shooting......:smile:

troy_mclure
11-15-2009, 08:22 PM
when i was in the army we trained with a bunch of ithaca featherweight 12's. they were beat all to heck, but soo smooth, and handled great.

when we deployed we got 500's, and 870's. i was disappointed.

Buckshot
11-16-2009, 02:06 AM
Are these older M37's able to handle any of the non-lead shot? Most of my use for a 12 gauge would be waterfowl.
BD

............I sure wouldn't shoot steel shot through it. When it was made it was made for lead shot as who in his right mind would intentionally shoot steel shot? :-) Maybe somebody makes a "Steel Okay" replacement barrel for it?

.............Buckshot

oldhickory
11-16-2009, 05:42 AM
............I sure wouldn't shoot steel shot through it. When it was made it was made for lead shot as who in his right mind would intentionally shoot steel shot? :-) Maybe somebody makes a "Steel Okay" replacement barrel for it?

.............Buckshot

Being made in 1966 his gun would have the interchangeable bbls. No problem to get bbls. for steel shot, or anything else for that matter.

Bret4207
11-16-2009, 08:08 AM
You thief you! You did real good. That Ithaca is a fine shotgun. My 16 ga 37 is about perfect. You'd have to ask around to find out about steel. It's a great upland gun and for waterfowl too back before this steel foolishness. We used then at work for decades until psrts just became impossible to find and they didn't meet the "cool" factor.

fixit
11-16-2009, 09:19 AM
this reminds me of a 37 i let get away when i was a teenager...16 guage 'trunk gun'. could'a had it for 40 dollars. that was a steal even in the late 70's...i've kicked myself on a regular basis ever since then!!!

BD
11-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Well it looks like Ithaca is making M 37s again so a new barrel shouldn't be a problem. I just need to convince my wife that I need to keep them both, after selling her on the idea based on the premise that I could sell either one and come out near even. I looked up the little SxS, made in 1936. It's a beauty, shiney bores and tight as the day it was made.
BD

Hardcast416taylor
11-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I wouldn`t try shooting steel shot loads thru that Ithaca unless you want the barrel to wind up cylinder bore from the non-compressing steel shot charge. With every shot fired it will be forcing the steel barrel wider at the choke to alloy its passage. Don`t try it until a gunsmith has looked at it first.Robert

257 Shooter
11-16-2009, 02:01 PM
As said several times above Steel is out for the orignal barrel but bismuth can be. I have a Model 12 w/30" barrel and it is still a duck buster delux with bismuth shot.

azrednek
11-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Some of my best buys have come from yard sales. A Charter Arms revolver I bought in the early 90's for a whopping 35 bux turned out to be hot. My X-wife was a cop, when she ran the numbers it came back as stolen. Had to turn it over to the cops where it was never claimed and eventually destroyed. I tried to recoup my 35 bux from the yard seller by taking him to small claims court but he never showed up.

donstallman
11-25-2009, 01:32 PM
BD, you have done wonderfully, esp. if the wife is happy. Your find at the yardsale is FAR FAR superior to what I encountered lately using the auction house, Kull Auction in Kansas. Ever since Jim Supica left this business, I have had serious problems with them finding and/or delivering longguns won there at auction. First... you wait, then you call and email ... no response .... later the office informs you " they're probably lost " then a month later after you have stopped payment at VISA to Kull Auction ... the guns are found and delivered; after that bidders are informed of being "blacklisted" because Kull Auction has problems. ..... so a yardsale is far better. Congrats!

threett1
11-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Great find!! I think if you play with the 37 a little, you won't let it go. Yardsales can be great. Found an old Remington 22 bolt action one time with super nice tiger striped stock on it. Cost me $20.:bigsmyl2:

DLCTEX
11-25-2009, 03:54 PM
I once found a nice Win. 94 for $75.Lady from a local motel had been holding it for room rent for three years as the guy had said he inherited it from his grandfather and would definately be back for it. She just wanted her rent money back. His loss, my gain.