PDA

View Full Version : Herter's 45405 - ID Please

LET-CA
05-09-2006, 09:39 PM
I came across this mould the other day (see photo) On the sprue plate it is marked 45405. There's no markings on the mould blocks themselves. Is anyone familiar with this, or know where I could get some information on it.

Thanks in advance.

Flash
05-09-2006, 10:05 PM
I looked in my Herter's reloading manual but couldn't find a reference to their bullet moulds. My guess would be a 405 grain slug for the 45/70 or 458 Winchester in addition to a few others.

Bent Ramrod
05-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Let-Ca,

Herter's used the nominal diameter and the nominal weight as its numerical designation. It's .45 caliber/405 grains weight. Looks like a copy of Ideal 457124.

My Herter's catalog #80 (1970) just has a copy of Lyman's catalog pictures, with their designations. Maybe they got the cherried blocks at a discount, added their sprue plate (should have a little flange on it that hits the block and acts as a stop, rather than a pin in the top of the blocks), numbered and sold the mold for a princely $5.65. (Lyman molds were $7.50.)

LET-CA
05-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Let-Ca,

Herter's used the nominal diameter and the nominal weight as its numerical designation. It's .45 caliber/405 grains weight. Looks like a copy of Ideal 457124.

My Herter's catalog #80 (1970) just has a copy of Lyman's catalog pictures, with their designations. Maybe they got the cherried blocks at a discount, added their sprue plate (should have a little flange on it that hits the block and acts as a stop, rather than a pin in the top of the blocks), numbered and sold the mold for a princely $5.65. (Lyman molds were $7.50.)

Yep, the sprue plate has a little flange that hangs down as a stop. Any idea if a Lee handle would fit this or do I grit my teeth and hold it with my bare hands?

Bent Ramrod
05-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Let-CA,

As far as I know, Lee handles only fit Lee molds. I only have the single cavity ones, and most of them are round ball, so maybe the larger ones have different handles. The Herter's were made to fit Herter's handles, but they are indistinguishable from Lyman handles. At least the one Herter's mold I have fits Lyman handles fine.

Bent