PDA

View Full Version : Great news!!!

jdgabbard
11-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Ok, as has been brought up numerous times before, people hate the so-called shortages of primers. While not really having had too much of an affect on me, and others like me. The guys/girls who have only stocked a minimum amount of primers have felt it hard over the last year or so. And I have felt you're grief, I cut back to shooting only what I needed to shoot to stay proficient in my carry piece...

However, I do bring good news. I attended the gun show in Tulsa today. And I was able to sit down with one of the major suppliers of powder and primers at the show. This vendor is always there, and they always bring a LOT of goods...until the past year....

In my conversation with this gentleman, I brought up the subject of the shortage. And this is what he told me. Over the last year when he would go to various shows he would have guys come to his booths and tell him they need a kazillion primers and a 400 tons of powder (sarcasm). And when he would ask what kind they wouldn't have a clue as to what he was talking about. In other words, people just buying to try to turn a buck. And he told me that for the longest time he just wasn't hardly able to get any primers, and his powder arrivals started falling off too. And when I asked him if the scare was almost over he replied,"We're getting more, faster, every time we order."

What does this mean you might ask... Well to me it says that yes there is a light at the end of the tunnel. HOWEVER! It also means that this is a time when we have to be very careful. You see, if we all think that the primers are back for good, and run out and buy a couple of flats, then its going to just kick start this whole situation. Buy what you need, but just remember that its not just you buying the primers. Its every other reloader/handloader, along with the ones trying to get into it, and the guys that are still out there trying to cash in big off others' gullability.

Now I haven't been to a storefront operation that sold reloading supplies in quite some time. So I can't speak for how the stores around here are looking. But I will say that I had no problem finding primers or powder at the show. And most of the table with a small amount had prices on them that were just flat out ridiculous. $45-$60 a 1K... While the larger operations, that are obviously run by people that specialize in reloading components, were selling them for $30-38 for 1K, depending on brand of course...

I, like others will do, bought some. I bought 1K of Wolf SP, and 1K of Wolf SPM. I paid $61... So they are coming back... But lets all be responsible, and leave plenty for the other guys...

armyrat1970
11-15-2009, 06:34 AM
I have been hearing primers and powders are slowly coming back. Hope the greedy hoarders that bought them up to turn a buck lose on their investment.
jdgabbard. As you stated, we should buy what we need and leave the rest for others.
Haven't been to a gunshow in a couple of years but I will check with some of my local shop suppliers for a few hundred.

jack19512
11-15-2009, 08:16 AM
What does this mean you might ask... Well to me it says that yes there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

That light hasn't reached my tunnel yet. I was just at my reloading store two days ago, still no primers. Still no idea when they would get any. [smilie=b:

dale2242
11-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Unless I totally misread your post,paying $61 a thousand for primers is hardly good news to me. There are primers showing up in S. Orygun for $30-$40 1k. Any primers selling for over $40 1k were not moving at local gun shows...dale

Hickory
11-15-2009, 09:02 AM
I have been hearing primers and powders are slowly coming back. Hope the greedy hoarders that bought them up to turn a buck lose on their investment.

I'd like to be a greedy hoarder. I got caught with my "pants down" so to speak and no money to buy extra.
And my seasonal job just ran out for the year and I'm not ahead yet.[smilie=b:

roarindan
11-15-2009, 09:30 AM
sorta like the gas situation, need it??pay what we're askin!!

Guesser
11-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Was in Big Bear Sports in Great Falls Montana the other day. Good supply of Winchester primers for $28.95 K. People were shopping for loading components but no one was grabbing large quantities and running. Powder, bullets and brass on the shelves too. Altho, they were out of H4831SC.

kelbro
11-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Powders have been showing up around here for the past couple of months. Primers for the past month. $40-45 per thousand on primers is the average now.

I am one who stocks up and some might consider the size of my stash a hoard but I have fired over three thousand rounds this year and will probably end up shooting four thousand by the end of the year.

mrbill2
11-15-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't buy primers for resale. That said, I won't be left out in the cold again.

Marvin S
11-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Ill bet he meant $61.00 for two K of em. I just went to the KC-MO show and bought 4K wolf primers @ $30.00 a thousand. I kind of see this like the Harley Davidson motorcycle thing, once everybody gets one and does that, some will drop out and the market will be flooded especially with all the imported ones coming in. I can see prices for primers coming down in price in a year or two. There where even PMC primers at the show. This is what my Chinese made crystal ball says.

ghh3rd
11-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Glad to hear things are looking better. This isn't the first good news report that I've read lately.

I went to Wally World for some .22's, and was shocked when I saw the ammo case. I was FULL of ammo. Too bad they don't sell primers.

On the other hand, the owner of my reloading store said he hasn't seen any difference in primers yet. I paid $40 for a box of Federal 150 Large Hangun primers, and was glad to get them.

Randy

Gohon
11-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Ill bet he meant $61.00 for two K of em.

That's the way I read it.......

chris in va
11-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Plenty of primers and powder at my local gun store. $39/1k for primers though. Now that I cast my own bullets, it'll offset the expense. Maybe.

Charlie Sometimes
11-15-2009, 11:59 AM
I saw some CCI magnum rifle primers at a gun show yesterday for $42 per thousand! The fella would only sell them by the brick, and another fella was fussing because he only wanted a few hundred, and the guy wouldn't bust his bricks. (I'd say he was in it to make a few extra dollars.) I told the guy who only wanted a few hundred to buy the brick and he'd be set for a while and never have an issue again, even thought the price was high (they were the only ones available). He wouldn't do it- kept saying over and over "I only need a few hundred." I think he was really upset about it. :-(

dragonrider
11-15-2009, 12:53 PM
At gun show yesterday here in New England primers were selling for $70/1000 at one table and $25/1000 at another.

squid1230
11-15-2009, 01:11 PM
What does this mean you might ask... Well to me it says that yes there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Just remember: the light at the end of the tunnel might be the light of an oncoming train ;)

rwt101
11-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Just remember: the light at the end of the tunnel might be the light of an oncoming train ;)

Yea and BamBam is the engineer.:rolleyes:
Bob T

jdgabbard
11-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Ill bet he meant $61.00 for two K of em. I just went to the KC-MO show and bought 4K wolf primers @ $30.00 a thousand. I kind of see this like the Harley Davidson motorcycle thing, once everybody gets one and does that, some will drop out and the market will be flooded especially with all the imported ones coming in. I can see prices for primers coming down in price in a year or two. There where even PMC primers at the show. This is what my Chinese made crystal ball says.

Yes, that was the combined price. 2K of primers for $61... Or essentially $30 a piece...

lwknight
11-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Several other local reloaders and myself uses to buy 10K and split it up every few months.
We bought the 10K to keep the hazmat and shipping from eating away the savings.

Then we all ran out and could not get anymore and like everyone else and their dogs, started keeping several Ks in reserve because there was a 2 to 4 months waiting/backorder.

My last back order of several weeks stands for 15K LPS and small are expectd in April 2010.

Eventually everyone will get their fill. Its just that the shortage was an eye opener and no one wants to get caught without supplies again.

Several people that have actually gotten through to CCI and Federal and Remington (not each to everyone) all say that the manufacturers are running 24/7 and adding on to the lines.
We reloaders are a small minority. The ammo hoarders are the cause of primer and powder shortages because all manufacturers will fill their own ammo orders first and sell componans secondary.

Recluse
11-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Couple of days ago, I ventured over to my regular gun/reloading supply store. They had every powder I use in stock, and all primers except for Winchester pistol primers (small or large). Bought some Wolf primers. Not crazy about them, but will use them for the plinking ammo until I get the opportunity to test and compare them with Winchester/CCI.

Good news was that there was no shortage whatsoever (at the store) of large or small rifle primers, or magnum pistol primers (large or small). Likewise, no shortage of powders by any manufacturers or sizes--he has one pound, four pound and eight pound kegs in stock for the really popular powders.

Prices are up a bit, but that too did not surprise me. The shop stuck with us and did everything he could to make sure none of us went completely dry during the worst of the component shortage, and he definitely lost some money during the drought.

I have no problem paying the slight markup to help him recover financially. This guy takes care of his customers. Only fair that the customers take care of him. As supply continues to return to normal, prices will level out.

:coffee:

Buckshot
11-16-2009, 02:25 AM
............Heck, I'll bet a good portion of production getting to retailers is STILL going to fill backorders.

...............Buckshot

WILCO
11-16-2009, 02:37 AM
He wouldn't do it- kept saying over and over "I only need a few hundred." (

Can't fix stupid.

VintageRifle
11-16-2009, 02:48 AM
I picked up 1000 Winchester LR primers at a gun show for $25 the first part of Nov. 2009. Would have gotten a few more, but the guy in front of me decided to buy the lot minus the 1000 I had my hand on.

Would rather have had CCI, but any LR will do right now.

The rest of the dealers had LR primers (various manufacturers) for over $45/1000. I still saw a few asking $60/1000. Its getting better. At one point earlier in the year I saw people plunk down $90/1000. Still could get them for under $30 at the first tables at the show, but by the time people got to the other side, the prices had gone up and people actually bought them.

lwknight
11-16-2009, 02:59 AM
I will never buy from hoarding gougers at gunshows or anywhere else. These are the people that bought everything in the store then try to resell it at 3 times the price.
I hope that everyone gets their fill and the gougers are stuck with warehouses of primers that they cannot sell without taking a loss.

So far being patient has paid off. My last order of 10K CCI 500 was $289.00 delivered. That was last month.

armyrat1970
11-16-2009, 04:13 AM
I'd like to be a greedy hoarder. I got caught with my "pants down" so to speak and no money to buy extra.
And my seasonal job just ran out for the year and I'm not ahead yet.[smilie=b:

Hickory, kilbro and mrbill2. Meant no offense to any that stock up for their own use. We all do or at least try to. I was referring to the ones that hoarded primers and then began selling them at jacked up prices because the demand was there and the supply was not. I still have about 2k mixed primers for my needs but would rather shoot my 22's than pay $60 per thousand for primers right now. Got to make a trip to one of the local suppliers to see what they have in stock. I only have two shops that I know of around me that sells handloading supplies and haven't called either of them in a couple of months. I have a Cabellas about 60 minutes away but have never dealt with them. Might be worth the trip sometime. I would rather buy local than from a gunshow. I am with recluse in supporting your local shops.

jdgabbard
11-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Bought some Wolf primers. Not crazy about them, but will use them for the plinking ammo until I get the opportunity to test and compare them with Winchester/CCI.

Recluse, I'm happy to report that my experience with Wolf primers (as far as the pistol primers go) is right on par with Winchester. I rate them above CCI, because I've had horrible experiences with CCI. And I won't use CCI again. Over 200 FTFs due to the primers in a 1k lot. It wasn't my doings, as I make sure I seat every primer very well. In many cases slightly flattening the primer while seating it. This was Speer's fault, and because of that for just about any ammo I load I go with Wolf if I can, and Winchester second. I would use more Federal, but I don't like the way they pack them ( they're too bulky ) and I don't really buy them because of that. Although I do have some of the Match Small Pistol Magnum Primers set back....

truckmsl
11-17-2009, 01:04 AM
Recluse, I'm happy to report that my experience with Wolf primers (as far as the pistol primers go) is right on par with Winchester. I rate them above CCI, because I've had horrible experiences with CCI. And I won't use CCI again. Over 200 FTFs due to the primers in a 1k lot. It wasn't my doings, as I make sure I seat every primer very well. In many cases slightly flattening the primer while seating it. This was Speer's fault, and because of that for just about any ammo I load I go with Wolf if I can, and Winchester second. I would use more Federal, but I don't like the way they pack them ( they're too bulky ) and I don't really buy them because of that. Although I do have some of the Match Small Pistol Magnum Primers set back....

Very strange - I have been experiencing the exact opposite. The Wolf aren't working for me and I can't make the CCI fail.