PDA

View Full Version : Flux & cores?

BT Sniper
11-15-2009, 02:54 AM
Been thinking about this a while but in the attempts to get the core to stay in place in the jacket does the material we use to flux the lead make a difference.

When I started this hobby I used parifin wax to flux the lead with and would make "pretty" cores but it seemed I could feel the slight film of slippery wax on the surface of the core. Now I use wood chips to flux and cast "ugly" (not shiny) cores but feel better about the core staying in place in the jacket.

I am not concerned with casting within a couple tenth of a grain as the brass case jackets vary by up to 10 grains.

Any thoughts?

rbt50
11-15-2009, 07:05 AM
i dont know if flux in the lead has anything to do with keeping the lead in place,but when i want to make a core bond bullet i use a couple of drops of soldering flux in the jacket ,drop in the core and melt it with a torch,then seat the core and fourm the point.
they hold together very well.

kawalekm
11-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi Brian
One method I've used to make cores is simply to heat pure lead in my furnace, then dip each jacket (cartridge cases) into the lead with long length forceps. After dipping them for several seconds, the brass is annealed to the temperature of the lead and the lead is soldered to the brass case. The lead core is also anchored with the bit the flows down into the primer hole. Once done this way, you only need to run the cooled proto-bullet into the nose forming die to get a finished bullet. I've made .44 bullets with 40S&W cases this way, and a full case with lead will make you a 270 grain bullet.
Michael

BT Sniper
11-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Michael good to hear from you. Not sure I tried dipping but I have tried to recycle my flawed core seat jackets by adding them to the melt and as I remember lead stuck to the out side of the case too. Never seemed to come out clean. Could be because of a wheel weight alloy vs. pure lead? Did the weight come out within a couple grains. I do like how the lead flows into primer pocket.

Good shooting

Brian

Ballard
11-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Brian,
Are you having problems with cores slipping? Please explain your problem a little more.
Randy

BT Sniper
11-15-2009, 03:50 PM
No problems I just thought that by using wax to flux your melt a slippery layer on the surface of the core my cause potentional for jacket and core seperation when hitting desired target.

I can feel the smooth almost slippery surface texture to the core after they cool from the mold when I used perifin wax and was curious if it may have any effects.

Good to here from you too Ballard hope the back is doing well.

MIBULLETS
11-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Maybe this is the easy way out, but I just use Corbin's "Core Bond". I think it costs $6 - 8 for 2 ounces. It lasts forever. You only use 1 or 2 drops per jacket. Put the formed core in the jacket and 1 or 2 drops and heat with a torch until it melts. If you watch it cool you can actually watch the lead climb the jacket wall as the center of the core sinks in. This is how you know you have a good bond. The lead actually shrinks as it cools, so if it is really bonded to the jacket you will get a small hole in the middle. Then seat and point form as usual.

Ballard
11-15-2009, 09:34 PM
They need to be lubed anyway, when you squirt them. Clean well afterwards.

BT Sniper
11-15-2009, 10:07 PM
All great info here

How about when you are melting your lead before you cast your cores you flux the pot of melted lead to remove the impurities and allow a good fillout of the core in the mold. What do you use to flux (add to the melted lead and stir)? Many things have been used from wax to saw dust. I was just getting an oppinion on wether anyone thought that using wax based flux in your pot of lead may have an effect on the outcome of bullet hitting target and staying together.

Ballard
11-16-2009, 12:20 AM
I don't believe so. I believe that unless you shoot a bonded core bullet, you will face jacket/core seperation if velocity is too high. Its a matter of design, not wax from the flux. I can tell no difference in cores (cast) from various fluxes.

BT Sniper
11-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Cool.

303Guy
11-20-2009, 03:14 AM
kawalekm, that's a great idea, dipping the 22LR 'jackets' into the lead melting pot!:drinks:

The only way to 'solder the core to the jacket' is to flux the jacket itself. I have tried filling the 22LR jacket with solder with the heat being applie to the outside of the jacket. It works OK but would not exactly pass off as a mass production method!:roll:

Corbin's "Core Bond" sounds like a good idea but I personally would like to avoid casting or cutting cores.

I wonder if Corbin's "Core Bond" would work by applying a drop into the empty case, warming it in the melt then dipping it fully?

MIBULLETS
11-21-2009, 11:45 AM
303Guy, it might work. You would just need to be careful not to vaporize all of the "core bond" before you add the lead.