PDA

View Full Version : Classic 1960's Match Rifle

Bob S
05-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Below is one of my “Classic Poor-Man’s Match Rifles” that I built in the late 60’s. It is an early Remington 03A3, with the original 2-43 dated four-groove barrel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Springfield%2003s/Classic%2003A3%20MR/Classic03A3MR.jpg

The scorebook for this one shows that the last time I fired it in an actual match was June, 1984, and the score was 464-3X. It seems I could not buy an X that day. At 200 yards, I used my old standard cast bullet load of the Ideal 311284 with 42 grains of WW II surplus 4831. Standing was 95-1; Sitting rapid 88-0 (yuk!). At 300 yards, I used Frankford Arsenal 1937 M1 ball: 96-0. At 600 I used the Sierra 190 MK with 45 grains 4895: 185-2.

The rifle is bedded with Acra-glass gel (and has been redone once since it was built circa 1969). The stock is a Keystone C, with Elmer Keith’s stamp on it, partially defaced by a deep groove cut for a low bolt for scope. You can’t see it in the picture. I got the stock from a guy who was “sporterizing” a National Ordinance “03A3”. Fortunately, I got the stock before he had a chance to hack off the forend. The “lightening grooves” in the forend are filled with lead to move the balance forward where I like it, and help with recovery in rapid. The bottom metal is M1903 from the DCM. The TG cost 32 cents if a I remember correctly, and it is a nicely blued very early one. With all of the parts, the complete TG, floor plate, follower and pins and springs came to less than a buck.

The rear sight is a Redfield No. 70:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Springfield%2003s/Classic%2003A3%20MR/Classic03A3MRRearsight.jpg

The discoloration that you looks like “rust” is actually dyed Acra-glass. The sight base is shimmed with steel and bedded so that it is mounted much higher on the receiver than the usual out-of-the-box mounting. This gives plenty of elevation for 600 yards, and I think also for 1000, but I never fired this particular rifle at 1000. The Redfield also came in a “long slide” version, which was relatively rare. My current M2 Springfield has the Redfield long slide on it. The eyepiece on this one is a Merit adjustable.

The front sight is a Lyman 17 AXNA (I think). It is mounted in a M1903 fixed base. The key needed to have a small notch filed in the back to line up with the pin position on the M1903 base.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Springfield%2003s/Classic%2003A3%20MR/Classic03A3MRfrontsight.jpg

The dovetail was lowered a bit to give more range of elevation without raising the sight line. The “slop” that you see is excess Marine Tex to make certain that the sight stays put.

This is a pic of the front end treatment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Springfield%2003s/Classic%2003A3%20MR/Classic03A3MRfront.jpg

There is generous clearance between the barrel and the metal of the upper band (red arrows). There is a shim of gasket paper between the barrel and the seat in the forend (yellow arrow). This was necessary with this rifle to get the right upward pressure at this point. It helps to dampen firing vibrations. Not readily apparent, but the spring clips in the handguard have been removed (green arrow). I wasn’t planning on doing any bayonet fighting with this one, and their removal provides clearance between the barrel and the handguard.

The buttplate is from the issue M2 .22 rimfire. They can still be found.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Springfield%2003s/Classic%2003A3%20MR/Classic03A3MRbuttplate.jpg

And no, you can't get away with this stuff for the CMP "Springfield Match", but it is legal for NRA Match Rifle, and many local clubs have "military rifle matches" that include a "modified" category.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

straightshooter1
05-09-2006, 08:41 PM
I really like this one. Look forward to seeing it in the Swapping and Selling section of this forum one of these days. I am sure it would sell (since I would buy it if I was fortunate enough to beat all these other guys to it). Really nice piece.

Bob

sundog
05-10-2006, 09:56 AM
Bob, really enjoyed your dissertation. I have a warm spot for 03s. My winter project of bedding my poor man's target rifle didn't get done. I guess I need to get on it. It's a CMP RI with HS bbl that looked like it never got used after rebuild. It now sits in a Carbolite stock and sports Lyman target sights front and rear. The original rear sight had slotted screw adjusters and I changed them out with target knobs. The front sight is a 17 that fits into the dovetailed sight collar. Just a fun gun to shoot! Thanks again for the write up and the pics! sundog

Maineboy
05-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Bob, my thanks as well. You always have plenty of useful information to share and I really appreciate your posts, on this forum and others.

Bob S
05-10-2006, 07:03 PM
This question was asked on another board:

{Hey Bob, could you expand on this sentence a little bit....I don't know what you mean by it and I'm curious.....

"The “lightening grooves” in the forend are filled with lead to move the balance forward where I like it, and help with recovery in rapid."}

Answer:

Springfield stocks have slots or grooves milled into the wood of the forend. Allegedly this was to decrease unneeded weight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Springfield%2003s/Lighteninggrooves.jpg

On the rifle in the post, these were filled with lead ... some folks used lead shot mixed with epoxy. I just poured molten lead in when I was casting bullets. This was a common procedure with shooters then, especially with light smallbore guns, like the Mossbergs and Remington 521T and 513T. If a stock didn't have the "slots", we'd put them in with a router.

The added weight reduces felt recoil, and shifts the balance point toward the muzzle. Some muzzle heaviness helps to dampen out your "wobbles" in the standing position, and reduces muzzle "jump", or "climb", thus shortening your recovery time between shots in rapid fire.

Original Springfield wood is getting much too scarce to do this today. Got a Boyd's stock? Have at it!! Not legal for CMP "as-issued" rules, though.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Jack Stanley
05-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Very nice rifle and great fun to shoot as well . I missed the deal on a SC years back that looked like it was setup very similar . I recently salvaged a Rock Island reciever someone had drill years ago and had a wanna be match rifle made up .
Picture I got, getting it here is another story :roll:

Jack

Four Fingers of Death
05-11-2006, 06:20 AM
I forgot, I picked up a Remington M17 wih an old Parker (now Parker-Hale)peep sight. It is a stock otherwise sweet rifle. I will takes some pics over the weekend if I get a chance.

26Charlie
05-12-2006, 10:35 PM
4fingermick - please do post the pictures - love to see it - have a stock P17 Enfield .30-06 which I was shooting last weekend, with some Korean ball ammo. Got on the 300 yd. target with a torso-sized group, nothing special. Then I had 11 rounds left to shoot, so I decided to do offhand practice at an orange clay target I had put of the 300 yard backstop berm, which I had used to get the sight setting for the paper target by watching the bullet strike in the dirt near it. I lined up on it with the first round, steadied down, squeezed off the shot, and splat! hit the thing - it disappeared. One of those shots you wish someone else had been there to see. Put the remaining 10 rounds back in the box, closed up, and came home.

26Charlie
05-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Bob S - thanks for posting the Springfield pictures. Have also got a soft spot for Springfield rifles - have two sporterized ones, and a Target one converted from a sporterized springfield by replacing the barrel with a Flaig's 26" target barrel and adding Lyman 48 and 77 sights. It is a marvelous shooter with cast bullets.

Ivantherussian03
05-13-2006, 01:28 AM
Beautiful rifle.

Uh, I always thought it was my imagination I shot better with a heavier rifle. I guess not, I always shoot better in winter wearing a heavy coat too.

Bad Ass Wallace
05-13-2006, 07:20 AM
This is my Springfield sporter. The action is an 03A4 Remington with a new 4-44 Remington 4 groove barrel. Loaded with Lyman 311284, it will group 1.5MOA 10 shot groups all day. The action was in a split military stock and came with the bolt bent down and action drilled & tapped for mounts.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Springfield_cast.jpg

45nut
08-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Hello Bob,

Can you please do some more write-ups on your guns? I would love to see one on the M 1917 series if you have them.