PDA

View Full Version : ingots stamped "Sanders"

aimlowsqueeze
05-09-2006, 05:56 PM
I found a source for lead at a local recycling center. They have ingots of lead that weigh about 55 pounds each and they are stamped "Sanders." A little research on the Internet reveals that they are from a company in Troy, Alabama that recycles the lead from batteries. From what I could tell based on some more research on battery lead, these are 12% antimony. Has anybody seen these before and are they acceptable for use in bullet casting?

No_1
05-09-2006, 06:18 PM
From what I understand (and someone will chime in I am sure) the lead transforms during the process of a normal battery's life and this makes it un-usable for our purpose. "CRAFT" has struck again and I cannot explain at the moment what happens but I am sure it will come to me in 4 days, 7 hours and 21 minutes at the exact moment that I am concentrating on something else....

Robert

From what I could tell based on some more research on battery lead, these are 12% antimony. Has anybody seen these before and are they acceptable for use in bullet casting?

ANeat
05-09-2006, 06:32 PM
If it has been smelted and the impurities removed it is probably good stuff.
If the price was right I would buy one and try it.

Adam

KYCaster
05-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Several years ago I got "battery tops" from a company that recycled fork lift batteries. I had them analized a couple of times and they were the same as wheel weights (.5% Sn and 2.5% Sb). The plates were seperated from the tops because they were a different class of hazardous material. When the battery is discharged the plates are mainly lead sulfide.

He quit selling to me because the EPA made him dispose of everything through certified hazmat handlers. They finally ran him out of business because of the sulfuric acid.

I'd treat it like wheel weights and see what happens.

Jerry

BTW, where is this place and how much of it do they have? If its not too far from me I'd be interested in getting some.

aimlowsqueeze
05-09-2006, 07:38 PM
The place is a recycling center in Oklahoma City and he is selling for .50 a pound. I just got off the phone with my buddy who is teaching me the ropes on casting boolits and he says that he has used the same ingots (he has 500 lbs of the same stuff) from the same recycling center and the same stamp and that they cast just fine. Will keep you posted on the results.

MacGregor
05-09-2006, 09:00 PM
50 cents a pound.. that's a chunk