PDA

View Full Version : Loading dies for 45 LC.

Changeling
11-14-2009, 04:46 PM
I haven't ordered a set of dies in a few years so I don't know what is hot, except that my dies for the 44Mag are fine. I like the carbide sizer idea (no lube).

However I thought I had better check in with the revolver experts to find out if ordering dies for a 45 LC would be any different when you are going to be set up for lead projectiles only.

Should the case expander die be special/sized to correspond/relate to the size of the bullet out of the lube/sizer since these sizes can vary depending on the output of the lube/sizer?

I intend on getting Lee custom 4 die set, unless you guys have some problem with them.

454PB
11-14-2009, 05:21 PM
I've got .45 Colt dies from several different manufacturers, and all of them work just fine. As you suspect, using a non-standard (something other than .451" to .452") boolit diameter may require a custom expander plug.

If you plan to stay within SAAMI spec pressures, the normal .450" expander will be fine, but if you plan to do "Ruger only" or utilize slow burning ball powders, you may need to reduce the expander size to allow for a tighter case grip on the boolit.

gon2shoot
11-14-2009, 05:40 PM
RCBS dies work fine for me, my 45s run from ,.452 to .454

H-Marlin
11-14-2009, 06:50 PM
No reason to buy cheap dies. Redding are always a good bet. That is what I used for my 45 (and most everything else).

Bucks Owin
11-14-2009, 07:25 PM
I've used both the Lee Loader and their 3 die carbide set in .45 Colt. Neither will size WW cases to enough tension for .451" to .452" bullets. In fact a .452" jacketed bullet is an easy slip fit AFTER resizing! I've heard that using a .45 ACP expander in a Lee die will fix that. .454 Casull dies will work too, that cartridge uses TIGHT bullet seating. Some in the reloading manufacturing world are still stuck in .454" SAA Colt days. Be sure you can exchange those Lee dies when you discover this malady....."I ain't kiddin' neither"!!! Dennis

44man
11-14-2009, 09:48 PM
I use nothing but Hornady dies. However, due to a gun writer long ago, RCBS made their expander the right size for the .45. They did not change the other calibers.
If you use soft boolits, never mind, nothing will help. You either size when seating or lose case tension with over size expanders.

jh45gun
11-14-2009, 11:21 PM
I use Lee dies and have no problems. I am casting using a lee semi wad cutter mold too.

Snyd
11-15-2009, 04:13 AM
I have the Lee 4 die set and the neck tension is fine. I load 45 and 454 with them and .452 cast boolits are real snug. I can see the ever so slight "bulge" in the starline brass from the bullet. No probs for me.

Gee_Wizz01
11-15-2009, 10:04 AM
I have both RCBS and Lee dies in .45 Colt. I prefer the Lee dies in this caliber. The RCBS are '70s vintage steel dies and the Lee are '90s vintage carbide. I like the large seater die adjustment knob on the Lee and of course the carbide is the only way to go these days.

G

44man
11-15-2009, 11:04 AM
I have the Lee 4 die set and the neck tension is fine. I load 45 and 454 with them and .452 cast boolits are real snug. I can see the ever so slight "bulge" in the starline brass from the bullet. No probs for me.
Good to know. I never tried them. Old RCBS dies can have the expander cut shorter and polished down to work.

Dale53
11-15-2009, 11:08 AM
I have several of the Lee 4 die sets and prefer them over all but the Dillons. The Dillon die sets are pricy but very good (they allow you to dismantle for cleaning without losing the adjustment - very nice). The Dillons are made for Progressive use and have a nice "lead-in" that avoids crushed case mouths.

I use the Lee Factory Crimp die for all handgun loads, regardless of die maker for the other dies.

Dale53

ole 5 hole group
11-15-2009, 01:53 PM
I currently use Hornady and Redding dies. What I especially like about the Redding die is you can screw out the expander plug and sand down the stem, allowing more case tension on the bullet. The Hornady expander plug is pressed in and on most die sets they are fine, but just recently, I found the stem to be just a bit large for the 500 Linebaugh - they are making me a smaller stem in the custom shop and I should have it next week hopefully (free of charge - Hornady has customer service second to none in my opinion and it's always been that way) and I think they will redo all their 500 Linebaugh's with a smaller expander stem. Having the ability to "grind" a little on the stem to give the right case tension is a feature I personally like and having a couple stems for different bullets works for me. Now for the 45 Colt - I like the Redding combination 45 Colt/454 Casull carbide set but each to their own as we all have our own little reloading "quirks" and I "cam-over" on resizing cases.

StarMetal
11-15-2009, 02:03 PM
I have both RCBS and Lee dies in .45 Colt. I prefer the Lee dies in this caliber. The RCBS are '70s vintage steel dies and the Lee are '90s vintage carbide. I like the large seater die adjustment knob on the Lee and of course the carbide is the only way to go these days.

G

I disagree about the carbide sizer is the only way to go today. They size down cases unnecessarily , straight, and all the way to the web.
Some cases were designed with a tapered body. Two that come to mind are the 9mm Luger and the 45 ACP.

If you're after fast reloading and just blasting the carbide is it then. To have things more dimensionally correct the regular steel dies are the way to go.

Joe

Changeling
11-15-2009, 02:17 PM
In my exuberance I believe I have gotten ahead of myself, I'll wait till I get the revolver and slug the barrel to determine exactly what it is so I can determine the precise size die to get because I know darn well there will be times when I will be using Ruger only loading data. 296 will probably be the only powder I will be using but I only have about 2 1/2 pounds left so I better start looking for that also.

Lot of great input on this, thanks to all.

Changeling
11-15-2009, 02:42 PM
I thought you guys would like to see what Veral Smith had to say about this:

Re: Information Request Form at LBTMoulds.com‏
Medium riskYou may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
Sent: Sat 11/14/09 10:57 PM
To: Changeling

The case sizing dies are pretty much standard size, while the expander opens up the case mouth to somewhat closer to bullet diameter. The plug is all that can be changed if you get carbide dies, which are nicest to work with. If you should purchase standard (non carbide) dies they can be honed out to minimize case sizing for larger chambered guns, which will increase case life dramatically if the difference between carbide and honed out dies is great. Nobody bothers with it though. Case life is good just using standard dies, and at worst making up a new expander plug which is about .001 smaller than sized bullet diameter. This much difference will give maximum bullet grip.
Veral

Food for thought.

Mk42gunner
11-15-2009, 03:05 PM
I have both Lee and RCBS 45 Colt carbide die sets. I very much prefer the RCBS for a couple of reasons:

1. The sizing die is smoother it resizes cases with a lot less effort.

2. I really don't like the Lee's powder thru expander die, too much jerkiness when using it. All I want to do is bell the case mouth not carge the case at the same time.

Robert

wallenba
11-15-2009, 03:45 PM
My Lee dies work fine, I do use a Lyman 'M' die though. I modified my Lee charge though die by turning the expander button down so that it does not upset what the 'M' die has done. I size, expand, charge, and seat in a turret press. Then I use a separate press to crimp. Just my particular way of doing things.

StarMetal
11-15-2009, 07:23 PM
I have some powder through Lee expander dies and I polish them with a miniature buffing wheel and jewelers rouge. I don't have that sticky or jerky problem.

Again, in my opinion there is no sense in sizing revolver/pistol brass down excessively, which is what carbide dies do. If you didn't you wouldn't have the case looking like a snake swallowing something larger then itself when you have seated the bullet. Yes I know, they all don't do that and yes you can make a different expander. But if you make the bigger expander you are working the brass twice...over resizing it down....and over expanding it up.

Joe

Bucks Owin
11-16-2009, 02:51 PM
The old SAAMI spec for .45 Colt dies are for use with .454"+ bullets....

StarMetal
11-16-2009, 02:55 PM
The old SAAMI spec for .45 Colt dies are for use with .454"+ bullets....

No they aren't, not all of them. I have a set of Redding steel dies where I had to sent back the seater die to open it up because the brass would barely fit inside the die...alone belling the mouths for easy cast bullet insertion.

May have been true once. Now the cowboy type dies may bring that back.

Joe

Bucks Owin
11-17-2009, 04:10 PM
No they aren't, not all of them. I have a set of Redding steel dies where I had to sent back the seater die to open it up because the brass would barely fit inside the die...alone belling the mouths for easy cast bullet insertion.

May have been true once. Now the cowboy type dies may bring that back.

JoeDidn't say "all of them", but you'll take your chances with any used set! A lot, if not most of the CAS dudes are using Vaqueros as near as I can see, "Ruger rules" still apply! ;-)

Chihuahua Floyd
11-17-2009, 09:51 PM
My 45 Colt dies are Lee, however, I use the Lyman case expander die out of my 45 ACP set as I only load cast in the45s. I realy like the Lyman M type expander. Most of my other pistol sets are Lyman as well.
CF

44man
11-17-2009, 10:55 PM
I bought a Lyman neck size die for the 45-70 and it sizes so little the expander falls into the case. The M die can open brass too much for accuracy.

bohokii
11-18-2009, 12:39 AM
I have both Lee and RCBS 45 Colt carbide die sets. I very much prefer the RCBS for a couple of reasons:

1. The sizing die is smoother it resizes cases with a lot less effort.

2. I really don't like the Lee's powder thru expander die, too much jerkiness when using it. All I want to do is bell the case mouth not carge the case at the same time.

Robert

i concour i always take a little socket wrench and put it in there so it just becomes a expander without all that internal movement

jh45gun
11-18-2009, 02:35 AM
Thats why I like the Lee Factory Crimp die.

Firebricker
11-18-2009, 10:10 AM
I disagree about the carbide sizer is the only way to go today. They size down cases unnecessarily , straight, and all the way to the web.
Some cases were designed with a tapered body. Two that come to mind are the 9mm Luger and the 45 ACP.

StarMetal, I found this to be very true with .30 carbine. You can tell just by looking at the case which die was used. FB

44man
11-18-2009, 12:04 PM

StarMetal, I found this to be very true with .30 carbine. You can tell just by looking at the case which die was used. FB
You make a point. But why size to the base until the case gets hard to chamber? Neck size until that time, then use a regular size die to bring them back. Or bite the boolit and size once with the carbide die.
Some chambers are oversize and expand brass too much, you need to work with the gun.

Firebricker
11-19-2009, 11:15 PM
44man, In my case it seemed like the carbide .30 carbine die wasn't sizing the neck tight enough and the cases did'nt want to go into the cylinder completely. I tried steel dies and they work better. Now that's just for the .30 carbine I use carbide die on everthing else I can. Your right I definately need to work with the gun though. It's .30 BH and experiment with just neck sizing. Right now it on the back burner while I'm working with a vaquaro .357 trying to get it shooting good. BTW I used your method of fire lapping on the .357 using a Q-tip after every shot with very good result's Thank's FB

Bucks Owin
11-20-2009, 12:01 PM

Well, FWIW, I have a Lee 3 die carbide set of undetermined vintage, (I got them here), which say "Lee 45 Colt A8" on the sizer die. After sizing but before expanding/flaring, a .452" XTP bullet is a slip fit into a WW case by hand. I realize WW cases are somewhat thinner walled than some others. However, .454-5" lead bullets seat about right without being overly tight in WW brass. That tells me that at least older Lee dies size for SAA Colts etc. using .454" boolits. A Sierra .451" can't be used with WW brass..... period. I can "get away" with using .452" XTPs by coating them with LLA and seating bullets while still kinda "tacky". That and a firm crimp "works" but I expect from the ES I'm seeing on the Chrony that W-296, H-110 & LilGun aren't "happy" with that arrangement although at 1150-1200 fps I'm not "jumping the crimp".I'm now on the lookout for .45 ACP or maybe .454 Casull dies to do "double duty". My Lee .45 LC die can be used whenever I need a FL resize I guess. (Or go to someone with a SAA Colt or copy thereof)....:coffeecom Dennis

StarMetal
11-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Been shooting the 45 Colt longer then anything else I have had. At first there was only Win and Rem brass. Today we have more, like the StarLine. Of the Win and Rem I always found the Win thicker and more durable then the Rem. I have Win brass that is over 30 years old and haven't lost much of it.

Buck I think you got a bad batch of Win. I think your dies aren't sizing down good enough too.

Joe

Bucks Owin
11-21-2009, 03:21 PM
I think your dies aren't sizing down good enough too.

Joe
Huh....Must be an echo in here!:bigsmyl2: They don't, they size for a .454" boolit...

StarMetal
11-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Huh....Must be an echo in here!:bigsmyl2: They don't, they size for a .454" boolit...

Then you have old dies or you have cowboy dies. The expander plug also plays a big role in what the case ended up sizes as, as far as tension on the bullet.

Joe

Bucks Owin
11-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Then you have old dies or you have cowboy dies. The expander plug also plays a big role in what the case ended up sizes as, as far as tension on the bullet.

Joe

The expander means absolutely nothing when the RESIZED case "slip fits" a .452" bullet BEFORE it gets anywhere near the expander/flare die! Older SAAMI .45 Colt dies size for a .454" bullet as I've said a couple times. Apparently, some die manufacturers have figured out that they need to "tighten up" their dies to work with .451-2" bullets in a Ruger....[smilie=b: ("Cowboy dies" and "old dies" are fine for SAA Colts and the clones. .454" bullets)

StarMetal
11-23-2009, 01:01 PM
The expander means absolutely nothing when the RESIZED case "slip fits" a .452" bullet BEFORE it gets anywhere near the expander/flare die! Older SAAMI .45 Colt dies size for a .454" bullet as I've said a couple times. Apparently, some die manufacturers have figured out that they need to "tighten up" their dies to work with .451-2" bullets in a Ruger....[smilie=b: ("Cowboy dies" and "old dies" are fine for SAA Colts and the clones. .454" bullets)

Yes you are correct in that respect. I would have thought by now they have all made the change. I on the other hand have found 45 Colt dies too tight including the seater dies. Couldn't even get a sized case in the seater to seat a bullet. Set it back to the company and they rectified it.

Joe

Bucks Owin
11-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Yes you are correct in that respect. I would have thought by now they have all made the change. I on the other hand have found 45 Colt dies too tight including the seater dies. Couldn't even get a sized case in the seater to seat a bullet. Set it back to the company and they rectified it.

Joe

Dang Joe, we could've traded dies! :bigsmyl2:

StarMetal
11-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Dang Joe, we could've traded dies! :bigsmyl2:

They are Reddings too!!

Joe