PDA

View Full Version : Well I found a 45LC SS and bought it.

Changeling
11-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Saturday morning I drove to the local town to get breakfast and seen a sign there was a gunshow. So I stopped in and started looking around (unbelievably crowded).
I came to this one exhibitor who seemed to be talking a lot but no sales. He had a lot of Rugers out but people weren't buying, prices were good.
I asked if he had any Ruger 45LC in SS with a 5.5 inch barrel with adjustable sights and his father answered and said I have a used one that is like new but I'll have to find it. I told him I was interested so he started going through boxes under the display case and came out with it in it's orig box.
It was absolutely flawless, I couldn't tell it from new. My first thought was this is going to be HIGH priced. I asked what he would take for it and he didn't seem to know so asked some woman behind the counter, I heard her say $372.00 so when he turned around I just said OK. I paid for it and he said I would have it after the police investigation.

AWESOME! Sometimes you just get lucky, I guess it was my turn, finally.

Now I have to order/get some dies and other stuff.

gon2shoot
11-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Now that was a good deal right there.

Bucks Owin
11-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Hey welcome to the fold of .45 Colt "cultists"! Now you'll get to slug the barrel, inside mic the throats, grumble about oversize charge holes, swap around with .45 cal dies, boycott .451" jacketed boolits and all the rest of the joys we .45 fans embrace! [smilie=b: (Unless you just shoot "F word" ammo!:-? ) John Linebaugh will rise to biblical heights in your eyes and you'll sing his praise with all your .45 Colt pals, [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1: and you'll scoff at the other big bores with the "magnum" moniker :takinWiz:Just kidding, enjoy that fine sixgun! You're in good company...Dennis [smilie=p: (Oh yeah, good deal!)

jh45gun
11-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Good Luck I hope you had better luck than I did with my looks like new gun that was a Ruger Single Six stainless. Some times it may be a good deal other times it looks like new but is for sale for a reason. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Dale53
11-15-2009, 01:47 AM
I just bought a new Ruger Bisley 5½" SS .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible. I had to ream the cylinder throats (they were undersize on both cylinders) and it is at my Pistolsmith's for a trigger job and Power Custom Pawl. I can't wait to get it back so I can shoot the dickens out of it (a revolver with too much dickens is a pain:veryconfu).

I do have some ammo loaded and bullets cast so I am REALLY looking forward to exercising this baby.

Dale53

jh45gun
11-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Dale I know you think that is the cost of doing business but I really cannot see having to do that to a gun you buy new. Ruger should have it right in the first place.

bobke
11-15-2009, 10:17 AM
jh-
there's a concept out there called 'benefit of the doubt'. perhaps we should ALL let changeling have that opportunity before disparaging his purchase. listen, i've had my share of issues with ruger, but i do have some good ones too. and so could others.

gotta say, give the horse his head and let him run before you declare him lame. hard as changeling's worked and researched for this project, we owe him that respect, eh?

Dale53
11-15-2009, 11:17 AM
jh45gun;
You are right. However, my option to get a really good single action handgun with excellent adjustable sights with everything right leaves me with a Freedom Arms that costs many times as much and I still have to pay extra for a good trigger. When I am finished with the Ruger, I will have a revolver that will shoot with the best for a fraction of the cost and it will last several lifetimes.

So, going on past experience, I CHOOSE Ruger. Ruger DOES need to do better regarding dimensions (they do fine with the .44's). I have two new Rugers ( a .44 Lipsey Special Flattop and a 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum Flattop). They have PERFECT cylinder throat dimensions and shoot extremely well. Why they don't do that with the .45's, I have no answer for.

So, I can p*ss and moan or for a very few dollars I can SOLVE the minor problems with my revolvers. I choose to SOLVE the problem and have "shooters" that will please me and my family for the next three generations for a very respectable price (one might say a BARGAIN).

YMMV
Dale53

wellfedirishman
11-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Good deal Changeling! I would have bought 3 of them at that price.

Better invest in a 45 mold, you will be doing a lot of shooting with this puppy!

Ruger makes great revolvers, you will enjoy it immensely.

jh45gun
11-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Thats fine BobK but after getting Burned a few times I will not buy an other Ruger and if you read my post I wished him better luck than I had I cannot see where thats a problem.

Dale if I considered Ruger as a gun in KIT form I would say fine but since they sell a finished product I cannot see why a person has to finish their product to make it a good gun. Yea I know some you get are good but some are not so it is a **** shoot one I am not willing to take anymore. Not after being burnt a few times. Your willing to spend money to fix it up fine I am not willing to do so if nothing else for the principle of the matter. To me fixing up an old milsurp to get a handier sporter is one thing but with a sporting arm that is supposed to be good out of the box that irks me that a person should have to spend to get it fixed the way it should have been from the factory.

dale evidently you know how to ream the cylinders thats great others may not want to try that so add that to the cost of the gun along with your work being done and that Ruger I suspect is starting to get a bit pricey.

Changeling
11-15-2009, 03:46 PM
I went into this with my eyes wide open. I've spent hours and hours reading here and other places concerning the 45 LC and am well aware of the problems with it.
I also agree with jh45gun about the 45 LC in particular, it shouldn't come from the manufacture with some of the sloppy machining such as the cylinders and throats, and in my opinion the barrels also, people here don't seem to talk a lot about the barrels but try sluging one an you Will Be Surprised.

When I first bought my .44 Mag I contacted Veral Smith about the mold. Veral helped me from the start by instructing me how to slug throats and barrel witch were a mess. I relieved them both by his methods and then he made my mold. It shoots awesome now but it did take some work and time.
A full discussion of his methods would take a long post!

When I first started this search I was definitely interested in the Freedom arms but there prices are very high, They are really nice but at that price they shouldn't need a trigger job and I have never slugged a barrel of theres so I don't know about that are the throats.

Dale53. I believe he has the right idea about the 45 LC, because I'm darn sure Ruger knows exactly how lousy some of there parts are because of there machining, but they don't seem willing to do a dam thing about it, so there you go! Its either either the Freedom Arms at 1500 to 2,000 or more or correcting Ruger s screw ups.
I know that when dale says:
"
So, I can p*ss and moan or for a very few dollars I can SOLVE the minor problems with my revolvers. I choose to SOLVE the problem and have "shooters" that will please me and my family for the next three generations for a very respectable price (one might say a BARGAIN). "

He is dead right except for the part for a "very few dollars", thats not going to happen, LOL, I wish it was but I think he said that in haste. Except for the trigger, I have never seen a great trigger from any manufacture, but I am really fussy about triggers.

Thanks to everyone though, I now have the base line for an awesome revolver with some modifications except for the chamber sizes that is just to plain costly to correct. Thats the part that really erks me about Ruger!

runfiverun
11-15-2009, 06:03 PM
throw some 453 sized boolits through it before you even measure anything.

txbirdman
11-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Well I'm in the same boat with everyone else on the Ruger's. I have a 45 Vaquero that's gone through the various "fixes". I also have a 50th Anniversary .44 Mag that required no attention whatsoever. It beats me why they can get one caliber exactly right while the other has to have work done to make it right. At the end of the day both are great guns now and that's all that matters to me.

bobke
11-16-2009, 08:09 AM
the boat's going to get full. mine went back to ruger for both new barrel and cylinder/s, came back w/.010 cylinder gap, barrel/front sight not square, still had the constricted barrel and so on. i sent it local to screw barrel in a turn and straighten up front sight. have since recut both ends of barrel w/11d forcing cone and 11d crown. rebuilt my own front sights. recut throats and lapped barrel to smooth and remove constriction and now working on loading. nope, hasn't been easy, has challenged all of my patience with ruger, but honestly, i'll continue to put in the effort because i really like the bisley format. if i get to the end of the road and it still won't shoot, it won't be for lack of effort. i kinda like working on 'em anyhow. can't leave a gun, motorcycle or bicycle stock for long-it's half the fun to make 'em run.

jh45gun
11-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Thats a shame Bobke that they cannot even get it right the second time around after you pointed out their defects.

44man
11-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Well, how about a $2000 gun in .357 with .357" throats and a .3599" out of round bore? Took three barrels and a new cylinder to get it right. Still does not shoot and is on consignment but nobody wants it.
I will play with a Ruger any day, SOOO easy to fix without spending a dime if you know what to do. Rarely does one need sent back but it happens.
Then Bioman buys a new .44 Hunter, I load his rounds and he shoots 1/2" groups at 50 yards with cast, right out of the box. (I did the trigger, 2#.)
Now S&W, Dan Wesson, Ruger, and many other gun makers, even the super expensive ones, can and do screw up.
But so far Magnum Research and the BFR's have not shown me a single problem other then some simple thing like a screw too short or some other trivial thing. All dimensions of every one I have measured are right on the money.
To get sour on a gun maker is not my way unless they want to charge me to fix their screw ups.
I did a trigger job on a $2000 gun, took it to 1-1/2# in 15 minutes. The time it took to form a new trigger spring, nothing else was done. But they will charge you $100 to do it.
I talked to Marlin about my bad shooting .44 and the first thing they asked was is it still under warranty!!!!! What is that about? Take a 50 year old Remington and they will fix it FREE.
Send in a broken scope from about ANY maker and it does not matter how old it is, they will fix or replace it. If it is real old and no parts are made, they will work with you and sell a new one at a reduced price.
I think the shooting fraternity has, without a doubt, the best companies to work with and I feel most really do care. Only a few only care about getting their money, then never want to hear from you again.
Take a look at your cars and appliances and about anything else you buy. What a farce, have a problem and the first answer is that it is not covered, you need to pay. How many car dealers do you trust? I took a 4 Runner in to get a timing belt changed. When I brought it home the air didn't work anymore so I took it back. They charged me $40 to tell me the system was empty. Well DUH, I could see where they screwed a connection up when they removed parts in the front. I was sluffed off and they wanted a fortune to fix it. No way. That dealer will never see another penny from me and I warn everyone but it has nothing to do with the car maker.
I bought a very expensive Maytag washer and it has had a problem with the circuit board all along and it is not covered.
We, as a group, are very lucky.

Bucks Owin
11-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Very well said 44man! No one stands behind their product like major US gun manufacturers. Heck of a lot better than yout local car dealer! lol As to guns, as much as I long to own a new M-83 FA .500 WE, I'd have to sell a couple other firearms to do it! So I'll continue to shoot my Rugers with complete satisfaction. IMO, even though Ruger has apparently slipped a little bit in recent years as far as QC goes, they are still the most bang for the buck available. I don't mind having to do a little "tweaking". Heck, a CUSTOM Ruger can be built for less than a Freedom Arms. (The neat thing with a FA revolver is that it is custom quality right from the factory near as I can tell). And here's a thought, buy an OLD Ruger if you don't like the new ones. I'd as soon buy a 3 screw "Old Model" as a spanking new one anyway. Those were "built right" IMO. Too bad B. Hussein is driving the prices up though..[smilie=1:Two centavos, Dennis :coffeecom

jh45gun
11-16-2009, 04:30 PM
44 Man your wrong about Remington in some cases. for the most part their guns are tough take the 870 for example. But with their older semi auto centerfire the 740 and then 742 they had issues one being the receiver would crack, Other issues being clips going bad and feeding/bolt issues. This is why Remington went to the look alike but redesigned internally 7400. Remington WILL NOT fix these if you have one and it goes bad, too bad. At one time they would give you some credit on a new 7400 if you had one of these rifles but that was only for a brief time. Many gun shops do not even want to take these in on trade anymore and if they do you do not get much for them.

44man
11-16-2009, 06:53 PM
I went into this with my eyes wide open. I've spent hours and hours reading here and other places concerning the 45 LC and am well aware of the problems with it.
I also agree with jh45gun about the 45 LC in particular, it shouldn't come from the manufacture with some of the sloppy machining such as the cylinders and throats, and in my opinion the barrels also, people here don't seem to talk a lot about the barrels but try sluging one an you Will Be Surprised.

When I first bought my .44 Mag I contacted Veral Smith about the mold. Veral helped me from the start by instructing me how to slug throats and barrel witch were a mess. I relieved them both by his methods and then he made my mold. It shoots awesome now but it did take some work and time.
A full discussion of his methods would take a long post!

When I first started this search I was definitely interested in the Freedom arms but there prices are very high, They are really nice but at that price they shouldn't need a trigger job and I have never slugged a barrel of theres so I don't know about that are the throats.

Dale53. I believe he has the right idea about the 45 LC, because I'm darn sure Ruger knows exactly how lousy some of there parts are because of there machining, but they don't seem willing to do a dam thing about it, so there you go! Its either either the Freedom Arms at 1500 to 2,000 or more or correcting Ruger s screw ups.
I know that when dale says:
"
So, I can p*ss and moan or for a very few dollars I can SOLVE the minor problems with my revolvers. I choose to SOLVE the problem and have "shooters" that will please me and my family for the next three generations for a very respectable price (one might say a BARGAIN). "

He is dead right except for the part for a "very few dollars", thats not going to happen, LOL, I wish it was but I think he said that in haste. Except for the trigger, I have never seen a great trigger from any manufacture, but I am really fussy about triggers.

Thanks to everyone though, I now have the base line for an awesome revolver with some modifications except for the chamber sizes that is just to plain costly to correct. Thats the part that really erks me about Ruger!
Since you live close, I can slug your gun and I have the .45 throat reamer if needed. I can also do the trigger.
I have 200 yards in my woods to shoot. PM me and I will send my E mail and address.

dubber123
11-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Take him up on it. The triggers are super easy to work. If the throats need opening, he can do that too. At that point, barring serious misalignment, or a huge barrel, it should shoot.

Dale53
11-17-2009, 12:48 AM
changeling;
I would jump all over 44Man's offer. When he gets finished you will have a PRIZE.

Dale53

Base534
11-17-2009, 01:15 AM
Changeling, that didnt take long to find, lol. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes ya dont !! good luck with it, i hope you enjoy it.

Dale53
11-17-2009, 01:27 AM
changeling;

Now that you are "on the way" to having your revolver "tricked out", you will need a good mould. NOE still is listing an "in stock" mould for the Lyman copy of the 454424 mould:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=63853

I will be at the range in the morning with my .45 Convertible shooting the .45 Colt with the NOE Bullet. The anticipation is GREAT!:mrgreen:

Dale53

45 2.1
11-17-2009, 08:29 AM
NOE still is listing an "in stock" mould for the Lyman copy of the 454424 mould: Dale53

Dale, thats not a Lyman copy............... It is the same boolit that Catshooter ran the original GB of from the Keith series of GBs.

Bucks Owin
11-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Dang! I wish I lived close to 44man. I'd be pestering him to lemme pick his brain, fine tune my guns and shoot at his range 3 times a week! (maybe even get some trigger time with a fine FA or MR pistola!) Take him up on the offer!.....Dennis

Changeling
11-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Since you live close, I can slug your gun and I have the .45 throat reamer if needed. I can also do the trigger.
I have 200 yards in my woods to shoot. PM me and I will send my E mail and address.

My heavens that is quite an offer and I will accept. You might have do do any shooting required if that is OK because of a medical problem.

There is some things going on that you guys are not aware of (short version). I was in an accident where a guy ran into the rear of my truck. I ended up with spine damage of some sort in the lower back. It had been slowly getting better until about a month ago when I started getting the pains back. They have continuously became worse till I can hardly walk in the mornings and again in the afternoons.

To make matters worse I am somewhat allergic to pain pills (They are all the same, trust me), I can take 3 percosets a day, usually 2 in the morning and one in the afternoon but believe me they don't do the trick. During the day when I am starting to walk around things are not so bad, knock on wood!
The surprising thing is that nights are the very worst!
Anyway the allergy to the pain pills (perks) makes me like a nervious wreck, it's sort of a catch 22, damed if you don't take them and damed if you do!

Anyway, that is a heck of a generous offer and I accept if it's still on. Just wanted you to know the situation.

jh45gun
11-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Good luck on the back!

44man
11-17-2009, 11:00 PM
My heavens that is quite an offer and I will accept. You might have do do any shooting required if that is OK because of a medical problem.

There is some things going on that you guys are not aware of (short version). I was in an accident where a guy ran into the rear of my truck. I ended up with spine damage of some sort in the lower back. It had been slowly getting better until about a month ago when I started getting the pains back. They have continuously became worse till I can hardly walk in the mornings and again in the afternoons.

To make matters worse I am somewhat allergic to pain pills (They are all the same, trust me), I can take 3 percosets a day, usually 2 in the morning and one in the afternoon but believe me they don't do the trick. During the day when I am starting to walk around things are not so bad, knock on wood!
The surprising thing is that nights are the very worst!
Anyway the allergy to the pain pills (perks) makes me like a nervious wreck, it's sort of a catch 22, damed if you don't take them and damed if you do!

Anyway, that is a heck of a generous offer and I accept if it's still on. Just wanted you to know the situation.
It is on, just PM me and I will give you directions.
My wife has two compressed disks pressing on her sciatic nerve. Terrible pains in her left leg. I have to do everything around here and do the shopping too.
I hope the next doctor can help her, she can't take any of those pills either.

jh45gun
11-18-2009, 02:32 AM
44 man I hope your wifes back gets better too!

44man
11-18-2009, 12:07 PM
44 man I hope your wifes back gets better too!
Thank you. I am taking her to a chiropractor tomorrow that might be more help then all the bad medicines.

jh45gun
11-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Can't hurt Chiropractors cannot fix every thing but they in some cases can do a lot of good.

Changeling
11-18-2009, 03:38 PM
My wife has two compressed disks pressing on her sciatic nerve. Terrible pains in her left leg. I have to do everything around here and do the shopping too.

44Man, I'll send you a PM this evening.

I may be able to help your wife. My doctor is a friend so I don't mind raising Hell with her but theres never the need, LOL.
She takes very good care of me and is so worried about me is ridiculous, I just don't tell her that. She has run me through every test known and I have also researched the problem from top to bottom.

The one place you should stay away from is the chain of spine centers called "The Spine Center", theres one in Frederick. All they end up doing is giving one an injection of a cortisone type substance near the problem area in the back with absolutely no guarantee of it working. They'll just quote you some percentages of people that they have helped with no proof. It might have helped some but not a lot, and it won't last if it does work.
The procedure takes less than 10 minutes, more like 5, plus you will have about 3 consultations that take about 10 to 30 minutes, about half of that wil be waiting for the doctor.

Now the cost. In Maryland you have whats called 3P in your auto insurance, This means "your car insurance" company pays for the first $10,000.00 if it go's over that you have to sue the other persons insurance company or settle with them for money,or get your medical insurance to pay.

For those 3 injections and 4 consultations they took all of the P3 ($10,000.00) minus about a $1,000. for a MRI and my doctor small fees ($200.00). So figure about $8800.00 plus another bill they are trying to get me to pay of $3700.00 more for a total of $11,700.00!!!! Theres other things they do but I'll have to tell you that in person.

Bottom line it's best to have a really good surgeon fix things but finding one of them is next to impossible. I've did all the homework and found one of the best ones onthe East coast, and he accepts insurance companies. Getting an appointment can be hell with him but he is the way to go.

In the mean time walking will help the pain as will loosing weight, nothing else. You can completely forget about any electronic gadgets you see advertised, they're all cons.

If your wifes case is "NOT" from an accident, 99% of the time it is osteoporosis witch is bone loss. This happens to everyone but women especially. After the age of 35 bone loss starts in.
Her doctor should have her on something like the drug "ACTONEL", Calcium (700mg twice a day), and Vitamin D. this will help slow the bone loss and hopefully turn things around. Actually all women should be on this, won't hurt, and might save her the agony she has to go through.
I'll tell you more later.

There is NO pain worse than back trouble that causes sciatic nerve pain except for burn victims.

I'll say a prayer for all of your wives NOT having this happen.

44man
11-18-2009, 05:29 PM
44Man, I'll send you a PM this evening.

I may be able to help your wife. My doctor is a friend so I don't mind raising Hell with her but theres never the need, LOL.
She takes very good care of me and is so worried about me is ridiculous, I just don't tell her that. She has run me through every test known and I have also researched the problem from top to bottom.

The one place you should stay away from is the chain of spine centers called "The Spine Center", theres one in Frederick. All they end up doing is giving one an injection of a cortisone type substance near the problem area in the back with absolutely no guarantee of it working. They'll just quote you some percentages of people that they have helped with no proof. It might have helped some but not a lot, and it won't last if it does work.
The procedure takes less than 10 minutes, more like 5, plus you will have about 3 consultations that take about 10 to 30 minutes, about half of that wil be waiting for the doctor.

Now the cost. In Maryland you have whats called 3P in your auto insurance, This means "your car insurance" company pays for the first $10,000.00 if it go's over that you have to sue the other persons insurance company or settle with them for money,or get your medical insurance to pay.

For those 3 injections and 4 consultations they took all of the P3 ($10,000.00) minus about a $1,000. for a MRI and my doctor small fees ($200.00). So figure about $8800.00 plus another bill they are trying to get me to pay of $3700.00 more for a total of $11,700.00!!!! Theres other things they do but I'll have to tell you that in person.

Bottom line it's best to have a really good surgeon fix things but finding one of them is next to impossible. I've did all the homework and found one of the best ones onthe East coast, and he accepts insurance companies. Getting an appointment can be hell with him but he is the way to go.

In the mean time walking will help the pain as will loosing weight, nothing else. You can completely forget about any electronic gadgets you see advertised, they're all cons.

If your wifes case is "NOT" from an accident, 99% of the time it is osteoporosis witch is bone loss. This happens to everyone but women especially. After the age of 35 bone loss starts in.
Her doctor should have her on something like the drug "ACTONEL", Calcium (700mg twice a day), and Vitamin D. this will help slow the bone loss and hopefully turn things around. Actually all women should be on this, won't hurt, and might save her the agony she has to go through.
I'll tell you more later.

There is NO pain worse than back trouble that causes sciatic nerve pain except for burn victims.

I'll say a prayer for all of your wives NOT having this happen.
Good information. I don't believe in cortisone injections either. I really believe it is bone loss and lack of strength of muscles around the spine, also abdominal muscles. But please, if you can, tell me how to talk to a woman!

targetshootr
11-18-2009, 06:56 PM

Sorry to hear that, 44man. I ruptured a disk picking up a bucket of ww several years ago so I know how she feels. It was barely noticeable at first but it got a little worse every week until a few months later I could barely walk or drive. Some days weren't bad but on others the pain was intense so I was looking at spinal shots and/or back surgery. One day I wondered what would happen if I jumped up and down a few times and believe it or not it worked wonders. Two days later I was good as before. I still have tingling and occassional cramps and sometimes pain but it's not like before and it doesn't last. Hopefully the chiropractor can move her disks around like that.

Bucks Owin
11-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Gee, we're all crippled up around here! I too have three herniated lumbar discs since 2001 which have been treated with cortisone shots (helpful for a short time IF in the "right" spot), Hydrocodone, Fentadyl patches etc. Sciatic nerve pinching is "a pain in the ass" for sure! :groner: Dennis (Who knows there's nothing funny about back pain, but been advised against surgery for "as long as possible" :?)

Changeling
11-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Gee, we're all crippled up around here! I too have three herniated lumbar discs since 2001 which have been treated with cortisone shots (helpful for a short time IF in the "right" spot), Hydrocodone, Fentadyl patches etc. Sciatic nerve pinching is "a pain in the ass" for sure! :groner: Dennis (Who knows there's nothing funny about back pain, but been advised against surgery for "as long as possible" :?)

It's not so much the surgery but finding a good surgeon. Those cortisone shots only reduced the main somewhat and didn't last very long for me. No way am I going to pay 13 to $14,000.00 for a small amount of relief 3 to 5 times a year. My money tree has borers, LOL.

44man, how do you talk to women, god grief are you allowed to talk, ALRIGHT!

bobke
11-19-2009, 07:36 PM
hope you all don't mind me referring to another forum for a reference to what might prove helpful to some of you fighting back issues. can't say anything as a personal reference, but i know a handful of these guys and they're pretty sharp. if nothing else, more information is always of benefit to someone out there. check it out:
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181373

NHlever
11-20-2009, 12:03 AM
jh45gun;
You are right. However, my option to get a really good single action handgun with excellent adjustable sights with everything right leaves me with a Freedom Arms that costs many times as much and I still have to pay extra for a good trigger. When I am finished with the Ruger, I will have a revolver that will shoot with the best for a fraction of the cost and it will last several lifetimes.

So, going on past experience, I CHOOSE Ruger. Ruger DOES need to do better regarding dimensions (they do fine with the .44's). I have two new Rugers ( a .44 Lipsey Special Flattop and a 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum Flattop). They have PERFECT cylinder throat dimensions and shoot extremely well. Why they don't do that with the .45's, I have no answer for.

So, I can p*ss and moan or for a very few dollars I can SOLVE the minor problems with my revolvers. I choose to SOLVE the problem and have "shooters" that will please me and my family for the next three generations for a very respectable price (one might say a BARGAIN).

YMMV
Dale53

The last two Ruger .45 Colts that I checked out had .452 throats, and strong .451 bores........ guess they are finally getting the idea. Bore, and cylinder alignment also seemed improved from some I have looked at in recent years.

Changeling
11-20-2009, 04:05 PM
The last two Ruger .45 Colts that I checked out had .452 throats, and strong .451 bores........ guess they are finally getting the idea. Bore, and cylinder alignment also seemed improved from some I have looked at in recent years.

I sure hope mine has those measurements, but you never know. I don't know when they made the 5 1/2 inch barreled stainless steel model that I bought. I guess time will tell.

kingstrider
11-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Sounds like a sweet deal to me. I'm going to a gun show tomorrow and #1 on my list is the same gun but with the 4-5/8 barrel. You did good!

Dale53
11-27-2009, 11:58 PM
I don't really know for sure (my friendly dealer found three of these for himself, me, and another friend), but I believe these are distributor specials and may only be available with 5½" barrels. At least, all three of ours were and I have not seen any of the short barrels.

Dale53

jandbn
11-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Changling,

If you are still curious as to when your revolver was made, you can now find (Ruger changed their website again from a different web address I used a little over a month ago) the answer here:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/service/productHistory.html#.

My NIB Bisley .45 Colt 5 1/2" SS (without the .45 ACP convertable) that I purchased at the end of this last August was made in 2009. As an FYI, the throats were all the same at between .4518-.4519.