PDA

View Full Version : Last bit of powder in a measure??

Dale53
11-14-2009, 01:55 PM
I am going to pose a general question regarding use of a Progressive Press.

I am NOT going to answer this myself as I don't want to lead anyone in a particular direction.

I have been reloading for well over fifty years. I still shoot several thousand handgun rounds a year in several different calibers.

I am in the process of using up a lot of partial cans, caddies and kegs of powder. I will limit my future purchases to a limited number of powders (need to get practical).

As I run out of a powder I have no intention of replacing, the last powder measure of that powder is nearing the bottom. I tend to be "frugal" but I also want to minimize the time lost in solving the problem -

"What do I do with the last small amount of powder in the measure"?

I have no intention of sitting down and weighing each charge but I have real problems in just throwing away that last bit that has reached the point of too low in the measure to measure reliably but too much to pitch (there is enough to load several cartridges but too low to believe it'll measure reliably).

What do YOU do in such a situation? Have fun...

Dale53

mike in co
11-14-2009, 02:25 PM
fertilizer..if you will not weigh the last couple of charges.

RobS
11-14-2009, 02:46 PM
I agree..........fertilizer. Or you can light it up:p

Flinchrock
11-14-2009, 03:47 PM
I agree..........fertilizer. Or you can light it up:p

Might wanna take it out of the measure first.:p

dogbert41
11-15-2009, 12:28 AM
I put it in my house plant planters throughout the house less than a month ago, and they are experiencing a good growth spurt.

dualsport
11-15-2009, 04:02 AM
I'd load some plinkers/foulers with it. Can't bring myself to throw away much. I'd just use a Lee scoop type measure. Good way to use those less than perfect boolits too.

AZ-Stew
11-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Cremation.

Regards,

Stew

Shiloh
11-15-2009, 09:49 PM
I am going to pose a general question regarding use of a Progressive Press.

I am in the process of using up a lot of partial cans, caddies and kegs of powder. I will limit my future purchases to a limited number of powders (need to get practical).
"What do I do with the last small amount of powder in the measure"?

What do YOU do in such a situation? Have fun...

Dale53

I light it in the dark:p

Like you, I have limited what powders that I use. At one time I had about 30 different powders. As younger novice reloader, I'd read articles in gun magazines and the Ken Waters Reloading series. If it was outstanding for them, I must be the thing Right?? No. I just kept acquiring powders and components.

There is no magic powder or bullet.

I'm down to 6 pistol powders, and want to get to 6 rifle powders.

Shiloh

Dale53
11-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Well, I am currently using two Dillon 550B's with three Dillon powder measures.

So, using Hodgdon's Clays, I ran a test. I got clear down to the bottom of the plastic powder baffle (actually UNDER the powder baffle until only the bottom slide of the powder measure was covered).

The NEW Dillon powder measure has a two part actuating lever. The design SLAMS the powder measure slide closed. This controlled BUMP insures that the powder cavity is full each and every time. This occurs even when the measure is below the level that reason would tell you to stop and refill.

Admirable execution of an excellent design. There is hardly enough powder left to worry about.

I ran the tests by measuring the last several loads with an RCBS digital scale. I went way below what I thought was necessary.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT advocating this to anyone else but it IS interesting how well the new Slam! operation works. "New" being a relative term. I just traded Dillon my oldest measure that had the single lever operation. It was not nearly so consistent as the new ones are with the two lever actuators.

FWIW
Dale53

curiousgeorge
11-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Dale53,

I load it and shoot it.

As you already know, I also have 2 of the 550B's with 7 different powder measures. I do not have any of the "new" powder measures but your reccomendation may put me in the trading mood with Dillon.

I discovered many years ago that with Bullseye and Unique that the bumps from the case sizing and primer seating kept the powder charges consistent until way under the baffle. Bullseye would lose 1/10th of a grain when the powder was "really, really low" and at that point dump the powder and measure or if no time or patience throw it out. By the time the measures became inconsistent there wasn't enough powder left to worry about.

Dale53 - Do you really like the new measures better than the old? I helped a friend set up his new Dillon several years ago and the "new" measure gave me fits for the first few days. Dillon had to replace the actuating spring and I still had to "tweak" it to get it to work. PM me if you have time.

Steve

Dale53
11-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Steve;
I actually had no problems with my old measure, but it finally (after several hundred thousand rounds) had worn. Dillon suggested that I send the whole measure back as they had done several upgrades - they didn't know where I was in the "upgrade chain".

They sent me a new measure to replace my old one - at NO cost!!

At any rate, the new "slam bang" operation settles the powder more uniformly than the old one did when powder got low. The noise doesn't bother me at all but my wife sews in the other end of our finished basement from my shop. She is not wild about the noise but no longer complains[smilie=1:.

Frankly, the noise is noticeable but not bothersome to me. I DO appreciate the accuracy of the new measure.

YMMV
Dale53

woodsoup
11-21-2009, 08:42 PM
If it's maybe an ounce or less, I just dump it in the next jug of like powder and shake it up.

Dale53
11-21-2009, 11:41 PM
woodsoup;
I am currently loading 4.0 grs of Bullseye (equivalent) in the .45 ACP. An ounce of powder left in the measure would load over 100 rounds. Since I am "using up" powder and will NOT replace these particular varieties, I can't dump it in the next jug of powder (although, if I were continuing with that particular powder, that is EXACTLY what I would do).

THAT is what brought up the original question. At any rate, I have solved it to my satisfaction and thank everyone for their response. It has been interesting.

Dale53

Marlin Hunter
11-21-2009, 11:54 PM
How much is "a small amount"?

If I had a small amount, I would use my Lee powder dippers. I would fill up a few cartridges with the last of the powder and if there was a partial dipper I would split it up between already filled cases. The dippers are always on the low side so a little extra powder wouldn't hurt. Unless you are using them for plinkers, I would put them aside and use them as barrel warmers or foulers.

Dale53
11-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Marlin Hunter;
I have been reloading well over fifty years. Early in the game, I got a powder measure. In fact, these days a feller could say, without fear of contradiction, that I have a collection of powder measures.

I am a bit ashamed to say, that for years I kind of "looked down" on anyone who used powder dippers. After some years, I decided to make up a few (this was before Lee came out with their set of dippers). Somewhat shamefaced, I learned that after you learned to "operate" the little dippers, that good work could actually be done with them.

Just goes to show, that what we KNOW isn't always correct.

At any rate, a set of the Lee powder dippers WOULD be a useful addition to the tool set.

FWIW
Dale53

Marlin Hunter
11-22-2009, 12:08 AM
woodsoup;
I am currently loading 4.0 grs of Bullseye (equivalent) in the .45 ACP. An ounce of powder left in the measure would load over 100 rounds. Since I am "using up" powder and will NOT replace these particular varieties, I can't dump it in the next jug of powder (although, if I were continuing with that particular powder, that is EXACTLY what I would do).

Dale53

Buy a set of Powder dippers