PDA

View Full Version : PP the Lee 170 gr. for the 6.5 Swede mauser?

eli
11-14-2009, 03:16 AM
After looking through some of the threads here, it seems that the 6.5 mauser may be ill suited to paper patching, especially the longer cast bullets like the Lee 170, but I sure would like to hear others experiences none-the-less.

Have you pp the 170 gr. with success for M96 rifles?

What sort of alloy are you using, hardness factors, etc.

What sort of starting point loads can you recommend, particularly with Alliant powders?

Do you have an alternative cast bullet for patching in these rifles?

Eli

303Guy
11-16-2009, 02:53 AM
It sounds like it is not the easiest quest but for what it is worth, I am real interested in seeing the Swede shoot PP's successfully, if only because I want PP's to work and I like the 6.5 as a cartridge, even though I don't have one.:roll:

(I contemplated chambering a No4 Lee Enfield in the almost identical, in case capacity, 6.5x57 Rimmed. I might still do that one day).

pdawg_shooter
11-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Never tried the 6.5, but no reason not to. Slug your bore, size bore diameter +.001/.0015, patch to groove diameter +.001/.003 lube and load. Match your BHN to the velocity. Pure lead (3% tin added for mould fill-out) will work to around 2200fps. Faster than that you need to go harder.

eli
11-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys.

pdawg_shooter, because I'm thinking of some hunting loads, I was under the impression that softer alloy than would be used for regular cast loads would work well in pp cartridges; do I have this wrong or is it inappropriate for this cartridge because of the twist rate?

StarMetal
11-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks guys.

pdawg_shooter, because I'm thinking of some hunting loads, I was under the impression that softer alloy than would be used for regular cast loads would work well in pp cartridges; do I have this wrong or is it inappropriate for this cartridge because of the twist rate?

You have it right. I don't see why you don't just use the 170 as is. I"m using a great alloy of 50/50 WW/pure-lead and it's good for hunting. I've driven the CruiseMissile to 2500 fps out of my Swede with accuracy. That's what I'll be using.

As an aside you can paper patch a 25 caliber jacketed bullet for use in 6.5 caliber rifles too.

Joe

eli
11-16-2009, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE]As an aside you can paper patch a 25 caliber jacketed bullet for use in 6.5 caliber rifles too./QUOTE]

I do have several boxes of 25-06 Rem. ammo on hand and idle after selling my Remington BDL, my only 25-06, earlier this year. This includes some 85, 100 and 120 grain rounds.

Do you have any recommendations on a starting place for paper patching any of these weight bullets?

StarMetal
11-16-2009, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE]As an aside you can paper patch a 25 caliber jacketed bullet for use in 6.5 caliber rifles too./QUOTE]

I do have several boxes of 25-06 Rem. ammo on hand and idle after selling my Remington BDL, my only 25-06, earlier this year. This includes some 85, 100 and 120 grain rounds.

Do you have any recommendations on a starting place for paper patching any of these weight bullets?

eli, I sent you a pm.

Joe

jonk
11-16-2009, 08:31 PM
The only problem I see with this is that the cruise missle measures .268-.270 depending on what alloy you use and your particular mold. Figuring a double wrap of fairly ordinary paper, you're going to be to 278". I'm hardly a pp expert but I've found that sizing a bullet down that much obliterates the lube grooves. If you're ok with that (I mean they serve no purpose in this case) do try it.

303Guy
11-17-2009, 02:21 AM
As jonk says. But you may well be able to fit a larger finished patch boolit in you particular rifle's throat. That could mean using thin enough paper or having 'custom' sizer. I use a two diameter sizer with a taper between the two diameters. I size the core prior to patching. The base diameter is big enough to seat in the case neck without sizing and actuall does not fit the throat at all but swages in on firing.

I tend to agree with your thinking on the use of softer alloys for hunting but I cannot offer any first hand experience. I've only done tests on 'medium'. I want an alloy that won't shatter on impact. But you know, if 2200fps is achievable with a softer alloy, then there is going to be some serious hunting happening!

I shot a red deer using a Speer 180gr RN in my 303 Brit with a MV of around 2300fps. Range was 170yds so impact velocity would have been around 1900fps and the results were quite impressive (shoulder shot), so a 170gr cast 6.5 boolit launched at 2200fps will do just fine I would think!