PDA

View Full Version : Pacific "C" press rams.

dhansen
11-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Hi All.

Would anyone happen to have a list of the individual rams that Pacific used before they switched over to a universal ram? Some of the rams were labeled as to the cartridge rim that fit each ram (like 30-06 for 30-06, 308, 45AP etc) and some had simply 1, 2, 3 etc. for identification.

I've seen a list online but can't for the life of me remember where.

TIA, Dennis in Maine.

1hole
11-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Don't have a Pacific shell holder list anymore. But, are you aware you can get a newer ram that will allow you to use modern shell holders? I replaced one older Pacfic ram with a Lyman Spartan press ram years ago. Most any ram from the period, Lyman, RCBS, will fit the Pacific too.

dhansen
11-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Don't have a Pacific shell holder list anymore. But, are you aware you can get a newer ram that will allow you to use modern shell holders? I replaced one older Pacfic ram with a Lyman Spartan press ram years ago. Most any ram from the period, Lyman, RCBS, will fit the Pacific too.

Very aware. I'm as much interested in the history of the Pacific C-press as I am in using them to load. There are lots of the old rams floating around out there and I'd like to know their proper identities. Some of the have the parent cartridge noted on them but most of the ones I've seen just have a number ID.

Thanks!

stephen perry
11-14-2009, 11:55 AM
If you are looking for a HD press the Pacific older model is a good way to go. Remember it will not do anything better than a Rock Chucker but it is a nostalgia thing. Most reloading presses and equipment are revisions of some old design. Suprised check for yourself.

The lightweight Pacific C press is no better than a Lyman. But the Pacific Super Tool of 1947 is worth looking for. This press was given good creedos in The Complete Guide to Handloading by Philip Sharpe 1949.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR :brokenima

Dorf
11-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Yep-- pretty hard to find fault with most of Pacific gear. I picked up a Super "C" press back in '63, used it constantly and still cant wear it out. Finally gave up and switched to a Hornady L-N-L AP --- but still use the old Super "C" for "non-production" work.

Farmall 1066
11-16-2009, 11:42 AM
All my rifle ammo is loaded on an old Pacific Multi-Power. I like it alot better than my buddy's Rock Chucker!

Here in SE NE, Pacific Gunsight was in Lincoln NE, so lots of old Pacific goodies floating around.
My brother in law's dad worked for them for years.

Andy

Char-Gar
11-16-2009, 12:11 PM
It was entirely possible to break an old Pacific C press. When the Super C came out, it had more metal where the bottom of the C and the base came together. I started reloading with one of these in 1959 and used it for well over 20 years. My only gripe about it was it worked on the upstroke and the bench needed to be heavy or bolted down. I went to an RCBS Rockchucker to get the down stroke feature.

IIRC toward the end of the Super C production it could be had in down stroke.

The C and Super C were good presses, but not any better than similiar presses of the day.

The best of all single stage presses were the cast steel RCBS A2s. The Bonanza Coax would also be hard to beat. Of course then there were the Hollywood presses..etc. etc.

Pressman
11-16-2009, 01:53 PM
I have a list of Pacific shellholders covering several years. As for the rams Pacific put their name on theirs only. since everyone was coping the Pacific press there are literaly hundereds of rams out there that are marked in all manner of ways, if they are marked at all.
email me at: herters@netins.net for more info.
Ken

Mk42gunner
11-16-2009, 06:44 PM
I was given an old blue Pacific Super C when I went to shore duty the last time. It worked on the down stroke and used universal shell holders held in by a set screw.

I have loaded many thousand rounds with it; I really like the easy access of the C type press for light duty operations. You really don't need the strength of a Rockchucker for normal reloading operations.

Robert

TK Grogg
11-17-2009, 02:07 PM
"NOTE TO OUR CUSTOMERS" We have in previous years, stamped all of our shell holders individually with the name or designation of the cartridge as ordered. Since many of these shell holders are interchangeable between cartridges,as listed on pages 8 and 9 of our booklet on Pacific Reloading Tools, our shell holders for eight of these major groups will henceforth bear a code number only. The Key is as follows:

The #1 Group is correct for the following cartridges:

30/06 45 ACP

35 Rem. 270 Win.
30/06 Imp. 22-250 Var.
308 Win. 8m/m Mauser
300 Savage
250 Savage

The #2 Group is correct for the following cartridges

30/30 219 Zipper
32 Win. Spec. 219 Donaldson Rimmed

The #3 Group is correct for the following cartridges

22 Hornet 22 K Hornet

The #4 Group is correct for the following cartridges

257 Roberts 6.5x257 7x57 Mauser
257 Imp. 220 Swift

The #5 Group is correct for the following cartridges

300 H & H 375 H & H

The #6 Group is correct for the following cartridges

38 Special 357 Magnum

The #7 Group is correct for the following cartidges

218 Bee 32/20 25/20 Repeater

The #8 Group is correct for the following cartridges

38 ACP 9 mm Luger 7.65mm Luger

This information is from an insert that Pacific Gun Sight Co. sent with their Pacific Standard Tool (Press). Mr Hansen, I did not know if your question was answered so maybe this will help. I am presently restoring an old Pacific press with several of the old style rams plus a new conversion ram that takes the little shell holders.

dhansen
11-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks Mr Grogg.

I guess the question is are these numbers for the rams or for simple shell holders?

I have one ram marked with the number "2" and a 30-30 case will not go into it.

Part of the confusion could come from the fact that several different companies made replacement rams and might have used different numbering systems.

E-mail sent to you.

Dennis.

dhansen
11-17-2009, 02:55 PM
I just compared the list above to current numbers from Lee, Lyman, RCBS and Hornaday. All of the numbers (1 through 8) match the shell holders currently offered by Hornaday.

Now the question is, do the numbers on rams made by Pacific match the numbers on the shellholders sold by Pacific and now by Hornaday?

TK Grogg
11-17-2009, 03:16 PM
A ram marked #1 should fit a certain group of cartridges.

A ram marked #2 should fit a group of cartridges.

and so forth. That is how I understood it

TK Grogg
11-17-2009, 03:38 PM
A 30/30 case fits a #3 shell holder but I don't know who made the shell holder. No name on it. A 30-30 case won't fit an RCBS #3 shell holder. My ram is marked 30/30 Pacific. This could get complicated

dhansen
11-17-2009, 06:22 PM
You are correct on both accounts TK. The only rams you can be certain of are the older pacific ones with the caliber marked right on it.

Shiloh
01-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Zombie Thread.

Pacific Ram #22. What caliber or series of calibers is this for??

Shiloh

Mk42gunner
01-03-2015, 10:59 PM
Hornady's shellholder chart lists #22 as being for the .30 Carbine and 5.7mm Johnson Spitfire. That would be my guess.

Robert