PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson .22 WMR semi-auto

obssd1958
11-13-2009, 02:52 PM
My uncle just handed me a Jefferson .22 WMR semi-auto rifle. He asked me if I could find some information on it, and an approximate value. Searches on the internet have been mostly fruitless, with just a smattering of info about the parent company - Kodiak.
Has anyone got any info on these??

TIA!

Don

Bullshop
11-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Check out H&R, they are one of few to long ago make a semi auto for the wmr.
Yours may be an early version.

StarMetal
11-13-2009, 10:32 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Alpha924
[br]Well Gents,
I have found out a bit about this Kodiak 260. First off it was made some time between 1963 & 1966. It is stamped KODIAK, North Haven, Conn. USA Model 260 .22 WMR. No S/N. The butt plate has four circles like a target. It is tube fed and it is the first semi-auto 22 magnum. Kodiak made this in a 22 LR too, and also made a centerfire bolt action rifle (Model 158 Deluxe), and a slide action shotgun (Model 458). While Kodiak long guns are rare and extremely well made, that does not necessarily mean valuable (yet). Collectability to date has been minimal with most specimens selling at a slight premium over similar quality trade name counterparts of that era. Prior to 1963, Kodiak firearms were marketed under the trade name of Jefferson. Colt sold the 22 version under the name Colteer. Some of the Colteer parts work on the Kodiak magnum.

I found that info about Colt selling them a bit humorous as during this same time period Winchester made a 200 series of tubular magazine .22lr & ,22 WMR's. The 22lr's were 250 lever action, 270 slide action, & 290 semi-auto. The 22 WMR's were 255, & 275, no 295 semi-auto. This Kodiak is very similar to these in style and makes a nice fit if you had a collection of them.

To disassemble the Kodiak I start by removing the magazine tube plunger by sliding it all the way out.
Open the bolt and make sure it is clear then just leave it cocked.
Turn it over and remove the screw on the bottom and in front of the trigger guard. Then remove the trigger assembly housing from the bottom of the receiver.
Remove the screw on the bottom of the forend and slide the forend forward. Just as it clears the counter weight, you can lift it off.
Now remove the small magazine tube retaining screw from the magazine tube bracket.
Remove the magazine tube by sliding it forward away from receiver through the forend retaining bracket, action spring (remove the spring), and the counter weight.
Slide the counter weight, action bars, and bolt all the way to the rear and just lift out the assembly.(sliding the bolt rearward, and out, etc.)
The cocking handle should just drop out from the top of the bolt then move it forward to remove it out of the ejection port.
The ejector plate should just fall out of the side of the receiver.
To remove the stock remove the butt plate and the stock bolt.

Well that about sums up everything I know about this rifle. I can't wait to actually see how it shoots, and what particular type of ammo it likes(hope it is the cheap stuff).

Joe
P.S. That's what I found out about it.

Farmall 1066
11-13-2009, 11:49 PM
A very good friend has one of the Kodiak 22wmr's. His is beat to death but keeps on running. I'd hate to guess how many coons that thing has killed! Virtually no collector interest on these scarce pieces, at least around here.
Andy

obssd1958
11-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the answers guys.
Joe, that's about the same as what I was able to dig up.
My uncle had asked me to help him find a current price for the rifle, and sell this for him. So I took it to the gun show this past weekend, put a $500 OBO price tag on it, and got a whopping ZERO interest in it. Talked to several of the other vendors that are very knowledgeable about firearms, and found none that know anything about this rifle.
Guess I'll keep looking!

Don

looseprojectile
11-19-2009, 05:00 PM
one of "I got wunna them" posts. Mine fired out of battery and destroyed the plastic feed lips. it is now parts as no parts are available. Really nice looking quality guns. I have all the gun except the feed lips. Kodiak, HA not very tough.
Been thinking of making it into an automatic ejecting single shot.

Life is good

StarMetal
11-19-2009, 05:12 PM
one of "I got wunna them" posts. Mine fired out of battery and destroyed the plastic feed lips. it is now parts as no parts are available. Really nice looking quality guns. I have all the gun except the feed lips. Kodiak, HA not very tough.
Been thinking of making it into an automatic ejecting single shot.

Life is good

Loose,

Not being familiar with the rifle, but are the feed lips in the receiver or the magazine or what...or is it tube fed? Can't you make the lips from steel?

Joe

looseprojectile
11-19-2009, 07:07 PM
It was in 1990 that I offered to sell it to a customer in my gun shop and gave him a handfull of ammo and told him to go shoot it. He brought it back and said it is broke.
Upon examination I found part of the plastic feed mechanism gone. who knows what he did to it? Looked like a shell blew up in the feed mechanism. Some people can screw up a cannon ball. Just smart enough to not hurt himself, this time. Thank you Lord.
The feed lips guide the shells into the chamber from the tube magazine.
The plastic parts are about 1" X 1.25" 1/4 inch thick cast in two halves right/left with several grooves and alignment holes for pins to sandwich them together. I figured it would be easier to make a whole gun as opposed to making those parts. One side is fairly good and I thought about making a mould in a mirror image to cast a new piece, but new and more fun projects get in the way. Hoped that someday parts would show up. These guns are like hens teeth.

Life is good

pietro
11-25-2009, 08:32 PM
The best place to sell your uncle's Jefferson/Kodiak .22WMR is in the free classified ad section, over on www.rimfirecentral.com

TAWILDCATT
12-13-2009, 04:05 PM
could that be made by Marlin.look at a marlin 60 and se if the parts look alike.just a thought. becaus the marlin feed block is in two pieces.I just repaired one.