PDA

View Full Version : new bullet idea

BT Sniper
11-13-2009, 02:44 PM
It seems I have a lot of time to spend day dreaming about different bullet design yet not enough time to actually work on them.

I'm trying to figure out a way to make a stronger .308 bullet from the 5.7x28 brass allong the lines of a partition.

The rim dia of a 22lr is about .278 or so and I would think that would be just about the right size to use as a partition between two cores of lead. The cores I use for my 308s are formed from a .25 drilled out alunimum mold. If I could get the 22lr filled with lead and inserted upside down in the .308 jacket it could work.

Still thinking up ideas.......may be able to some how put a 22lr brass in a core mold and fill with lead to get fairly close weights. I would not have to worry about trying to expand the 22lr case and could just pore the lead around it as it was held centered in the core mold.

Ultimite goal to find the perfect bullet design that has not hit the market yet. My idea would be a partition with a plastic tip for increased BC. Think nolsler partition combined with the nosler ballistic tip.

Anyway will see what I can come up with.

Good shooting

BT

deltaenterprizes
11-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Try using a short piece of 1/4'' copper tubing filled with lead.

Blammer
11-13-2009, 06:00 PM
copper end cap for the "partition" part?

MIBULLETS
11-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Why not bond them? I have have bonded my .358 bullets made from 223 cases. The mushroom they make is awesome and the retained weight is high.

elk hunter
11-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Brian,

Why not seat a short core and then drop in a gas check of the proper size, drop in a top core and then core seat again, then heat to bond them and run them through a point form die, then roll your cannalure in just above the gas check to lock everything in and give a place for the expansion to stop.

Just my two cents worth, and probably all it's worth.

MIBULLETS
11-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Don't get me wrong. Your idea is a good one. It will just act different than a Nosler Partition. Chances are, if while the bullet is expanding, the main jacket grabs as it enters the smaller partion part will separate and continue on while the main jacket slows way down with no lead in it. This could be exactly what you want or it may not happen at all, just something more to add to our day dreams.

MIBULLETS
11-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Here is a picture of one, I know kind of blurry but best I can do right now.

BT Sniper
11-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Great ideas and there maybe some potential here. What I imagine would be similar to seating a core in a 9mm case then seating that upside down in a 40 S&W jacket with a bit of flux, heating it up to bound then seat the top core. I know this very idea has been tried and I think the 9mm would need to be cut shorter a bit first but somthing along this ideaa in the .308 scale.

Ofcourse I'm fairly cheap so I would want to keep it that way. Gas checks may be cheep enough though I have not shot anything with gas checks so I don't have any on hand. A .25 tube of some sort capped or pluged sounds good too. I'll give it all a try and see what happens.

I did order some plastic hole plugs that are used in skies. A pic was posted a while back in the 22lr bullet threads and they looked very close to the Nosler BTs and only $8 per 500.

Love the ideas certainly keep them coming if there is any more to share.

Thanks

BT

BT Sniper
11-13-2009, 08:07 PM
WOW! MI that bullet looks great. I just woke up from a nap and trying to clear the cob webs from the brain so I need to read over your posts a bit more closly but I would sure like to konw more about that recovered bullet. What case jacket? bonded? partition? FPS estamate? a recover from animal or wet news paper? retained weight? original weight? and caliber?

Thanks

Again very good looking bullet you have there.

I lost about %50 of retained weight with mine and thought it was great for deer but I would like to make it stronger too. Of course this bullet was shot at about 2900 fps and may work better a little slower.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/57x308sideview.jpg

BT Sniper
11-13-2009, 09:22 PM
MI I see that it was a bonded .358 from .223 Awesome!

MIBULLETS
11-13-2009, 11:35 PM
I shot into milk jugs full of water. Impact velocity was around 2300fps. Weight retention is about 90%. Started as a 225 gr bullet. I don't think it would expand much further if shot faster though. The case web in the jacket starts getting very thick and pretty much stops the expansion.

Your bullet looks nice too. I think I saw another post where you said you made the shape of nose part of the die yourself. Awesome! I think your idea of bonding the lower portion of the bullet is a good one. That is what is so good about the Nosler Partition, the front opens fast for quick shock, but the rear stays intact to penetrate.

ANeat
11-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Just thinking here but why no do like a cast soft nosed bullet. Either bond or pour a hard base for the straight part of the bullet. Then add a softer nose portion that can be formed into the nose. The nose part wouldnt need to be bonded but it could be

For a limited ammount of bullets I can see a hard alloy base being bonded during the annealing process.

If a lighter bullet is needed I can even see leaving the nose portion hollow.

BT Sniper
11-14-2009, 12:21 AM
I have had some success with dual hardness lead cores. I have been thinking about giving that a try too with a ww alloy base and top 1/3 of bullet soft lead. Thought I might take it a step further after the bullet is formed and heat treat it in the oven follow by water quench to try and get that ww alloy up to 20 BNH or so.

Also a good idea thanks.

BT Sniper
11-14-2009, 06:21 AM
Pictured bullet above was made with a SAS die. Unfortantly I can not take credit for getting the nose and sape of this bullet to look that good it was all the die. I was able to improve the nose of the CH .308 die a bit to get a better nose shape by reaming the ejetor pin a bit.

Got some time now that the bad wether is upon us in the NW so hope to try out some of these ideas soon.