PDA

View Full Version : .45-70 target with questions

k8bor
11-13-2009, 11:56 AM
I hope this isn't OT, I wanted to share.

If you guys remember, last year I was asking a bunch of questions about loading BP in my 1895CB.

It only seemed right to shoot BP this rifle. I cast a bunch of 405 gr. lee 30:1 bullets and lubed them with SPG. I experimented off and on for the last 6 or 8 months and finally came up with a load that shoots well. That load consists of 62 grs. of Goex FFg on top of a CCI magnum rifle primer. 30" aluminum drop tube and a homemade compression die so I can thumb seat the bullet. I tried using a Lee factory crimp die lightly on the first bullet land, but it seemed to smush the soft lead land too much and wasn't as accurate as I wanted. Then tried just a light factory die roll crimp and it works really well. Accuracy improved a lot. The reason for the crimp is when I hunt I like to have one in the chamber and at least a couple up the tube. The rounds have to hold together and feed well. I'm very satisfied to this point. I'm amazed at how the smallest change in the reloading format will make a difference with BP.

This is a 50 yd. target, and it's 3/4" ctr/ctr. I've done this consistently with this load too, so it's not a fluke.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z41/k8bor/4570tgt.jpg

The season starts Sunday and I'm really stoked about hunting with it this year.

I have a couple questions:

1) Does anyone have an idea of how fast these 405's are coming out? Whatever it is, I expect it'll be DRN with deer.

2) Has anyone else ever used a Napa soluble oil mix on the bore of your bpcr? I lost my moose milk mixture and remember reading about the Napa mix I think somewhere on this very forum. I mixed it about 10:1. Fwiw, it seems to work very well. It cleans the BP fouling out fast and leave the bore nice and shiny. I hope I'm not doing anything wrong here.

Just wanted to share my enthusiasm.

Don McDowell
11-13-2009, 12:09 PM
That's a pretty nice group.
Just a w a g here but the velocit is probably around 1200

10-1 is about what alot of the folks that use Napa oil mix it at.

Good luck and have fun on the hunt bring us back some pictures of the deer chops in the OEM packaging.

k8bor
11-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Tnx for the info, and yeah, I'll let everyone know how I do.

jgraham1
11-13-2009, 07:50 PM
If it does what you want and kills deer, how could you go wrong! Nice group it fires too. Have you tried a 1:20 or 1:40 mix instead? I am wondering if it will allow you to crimp the bullet better.

Jerry

NickSS
11-14-2009, 04:39 AM
Well you manage to hit on my 200 yard target load for 45-70. I have chronographed mine at 1195 from my Sharps with a 30 inch barrel. I have used the same load on deer and generally the bullet goes clean through without stopping no matter what angle the animal is hit. Generally they will travel a few yards and fall over dead unless you break a shoulder or neck that is.

k8bor
11-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll let you all know how I do next week. Have a good season and enjoy yourseves. The info is great.