PDA

View Full Version : To check or not to check....

vincewarde
11-13-2009, 03:40 AM
I'm going to be loading the Lee 120gr round nose in the .30 carbine for use in a carbine. Alloy will be linotype. I plan on lubing with LLA. Simple question: Do I need to use a gas check?

Thanks

Buckshot
11-13-2009, 03:42 AM
.............If you plan on loading hot enough to operate the action, I'd for sure recommend the GC unless you dont' care where the boolits go :-)

..............Buckshot

dromia
11-13-2009, 05:08 AM
Depends on the velocity you are aiming to shoot at, whether your rifle will shoot the boolit of your choice without gas checks.

generally speaking GC boolit designs are better with GCs, however at lower velocities it can be done.

I've started a military rifle benchrest competition at 25yrd range I'm chairman of using reduced lead loads to keep the MV and ME within the range certificate.

There are a lot of .303" British rifles used and the boolit of choice is the 30 cal 113gn soupcan, this is a GC design.

Most shooters just use this as cast, tumble lubed with White Label's Xlox without GCs.

My cast boolit rifle for this is an original, all matching No4T that is highly accurate with cast but it won't shoot the soupcan worth a damn without a check on it.

Much to my chagrin I may add and the delight of my fellow club members.

So ultimately test and try withyour chosen components in your rifle is the only real way that you'll know your answer.