PDA

View Full Version : Broke new mold spru handle :-(

ETG
11-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Less than 500 boolits and the spru handle on my Lee 45 6 cav mold snapped off. Is this a common problem? I assume Lee will make it right but I will probably end up paying shipping.

plus1hdcp
11-12-2009, 11:52 PM
I have broken the same piece. It was probably my thought by not having the mold preheated to an adequate temp. My remedy has been to cast slowly and only use the furthest couple of molds to work up the temp and gradually work inwards. With this being said, I did call and explain my situation to Lee and they shipped me the part at no cost.

+1 to Lee customer service

Ben
11-12-2009, 11:56 PM
plus1hdcp has offered the truth on the matter. Exactly as he says.

Phat Man Mike
11-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Pat up in C/S at LEE told me that was a problem when you don't have the sprue plate lubed enough !! just call them and I'd bet they replace it free of charge and ship it out quick!! are you using Bull sprue lube? that stuff is the cats meow! IMHO :redneck::cbpour:[smilie=s:

ETG
11-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Not using any sprue lube. Mold was up to temp and boolits well filled out. Where do you get Bull sprue lube?

Muddy Creek Sam
11-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Look in the Vender Section for BullShop. http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3412

Sam :D

Freightman
11-13-2009, 09:23 AM
I noticed that if you run all six cavities at first the sprue handle is very hard to use! so I found that if you fill one cavity cut it twice , then two , three , ect by the time you are at six it is up to heat and for sure use Bullplate lube.

theperfessor
11-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Make sure the sprue plate is closed all the way before pouring. If not, it takes more force on handle at an awkward mechanical advantage to open plate.

And I second BullPlate for all molds, not just aluminum.

DanM
11-13-2009, 10:43 AM
I usually just discard the sprue handles on Lee 6cav molds, and keep a nut driver handle with a 7/16 deep socket attached for the job. The naked sprue handle slips right in the socket and levers open even easier than with the wooden appendage. Also gives me a handy tool for tightening those pesky nuts that loosen up during normal operations....

montana_charlie
11-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Where do you get Bull sprue lube?
First, you have to find a mature bull.
Then, throughly rub a pure cotton cloth on his sprue until the cloth is well covered.
Scrape a small amount of the material from the cloth with the point of a toothpick and apply that to a mould already heated to casting temperature.

The most difficult aspects of this procedure is keeping the toothpick uncontaminated while collecting the material...and holding the hot mould in your other hand.
If you inadvertantly touch the bull with the mould, you will be able to collect some kickapoo juice, a semi-liquid which squirts out of your nose when the bull kicks the snot out of you...

Good luck,
CM

Phat Man Mike
11-13-2009, 07:08 PM
First, you have to find a mature bull.
Then, throughly rub a pure cotton cloth on his sprue until the cloth is well covered.
Scrape a small amount of the material from the cloth with the point of a toothpick and apply that to a mould already heated to casting temperature.

The most difficult aspects of this procedure is keeping the toothpick uncontaminated while collecting the material...and holding the hot mould in your other hand.
If you inadvertantly touch the bull with the mould, you will be able to collect some kickapoo juice, a semi-liquid which squirts out of your nose when the bull kicks the snot out of you...

Good luck,
CM

:bigsmyl2:HAHA yousa funny guy[smilie=s: