PDA

View Full Version : Oops!

BruceB
05-08-2006, 05:15 PM
There I wuz, shooting targets from Der Schuetzenwagen's benchrest, with a fresh and gusty breeze blowing right across the line of fire.

My chrono screens are mounted at two-foot spacing with the midpoint precisely ten feet from the face of the benchrest. The whole shebang is mounted on a length of steel conduit, which just happens to have a bit of flex in the breezes.

The M70 .338 has a 24X varmint scope mounted for load development, and I didn't notice a sudden uptick in windspeed, but the one particular shot sounded quite different. With a big WHACK, it neatly severed one of the plastic uprights which support the diffusers above the actual screens. The wind had clearly moved the upright into the line of fire, and no .338 is gonna stop for a piece of thin plastic! There were REALLY things flopping in the breeze after that. What a dumb feeling....

On top of that, the two %#@*(&^% .338s weren't shooting worth a damn, either.

Miz Liz, my lovely .303 #4, was behaving well enough to make it a pleasant outing, anyway.

dragonrider
05-08-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm on my third set of sky_screens for my pact chrono. Every now and then I let one go a bit too low. For some reason they just don't survive.

NVcurmudgeon
05-09-2006, 12:00 AM
I managed to tie with, no doubt, many others by taking out both Skyscreens with a single .358 Winchester 255 gr. Hoch. the good news was that Dr. Oehler cleverly designed his M 34 so that the expensive part hides on the bench where you can't get a fair shot at it.

Lee
05-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Shooting Chrony's flinch! I offer as proof the fact that my Chrony has flinched with a .480 Ruger and also with a .454 Casull. Lesser pistol calibers are no problem, but those two heavyboys make the entire setup FLINCH.
Haven't found either skyscreen rod yet. I estimate that by now they are somewhere past the Van Allen radiation belts..................................Lee:)