PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 457124 question?

Freightman
11-12-2009, 06:24 PM
I just won a mould on ebay I bid low and didn't expect to get it, so is it a good one and how do you like it? I have two 45/70's so I can always use the mould, I have a Lyman 300gr, and LEE 405 HB, 450 GCFN, and a 500 GCFN. All have been accurate and see no reason this one shouldn't.
I guess I should bid low all the time with no expectation of getting it.

Le Loup Solitaire
11-12-2009, 09:15 PM
This is an old original design for the 45-70 and was listed as weighing 405 grains.When the Army decided to step down from using 500 grain bullets this design replaced the bigger bullet. It is now listed in catalogs as having a weight of 385 grains. I suppose that playing around with the composition of the melt one could vary the weight to some extent. I have an old mold for this bullet and with WW it drops bullets at 400 grs and .458 diameter. I use it in my 45-70's with 42-45 grains of IMR 3031 which gives good accuracy at 100 yards with moderate recoil...out of a Remington roller, a Winny 86 and a Winny Hi-wall. All three are not light guns. This bullet can be loaded with up to 53 grains of 3031 if you want extra hunting power, but the kick will get your attention. The bullet is easy to cast, but keep a good sized puddle of liquid sprue on top of the sprue plate to feed the shrinkage. Don't cast too fast as the size of this bullet will tend to overheat the blocks. You could get frosty casts which other than looks that bother some people, mean nothing. But overheated blocks also can and usually do start smearing and you don't want that. From your experience with your 2 heavier bullets I'm sure that you aleady know that. Its been a good performer for me for many years and I have enjoyed shooting it. LLS

beagle
11-12-2009, 11:43 PM
I have a 457124 and it shoots pretty well in my M95 Marlin and it's a good weight.

The 457124 was designed as has been mentioned to replace the 500 grainer in the original Army loads. It was designed for use with BP with a reduced nose diameter of about .445" (in my mould) to allow it to be chambered after BP fouling had been built up in the bore.

Many say that this makes it less accurate than some more of the Lyman .45s but as I said at the beginning, it shoots well in my Marlin so I'm not complaining./beagle

Freightman
11-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks!