PDA

View Full Version : Patmarlins is at the RENO BIG Gunshow!

PatMarlin
11-12-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm in Reno ya'll, and will be setting up today at the Grand Sierra Resort for the RENO show starting tomorrow.

Come by and say hello if you attend. I'm excited to meet more Cast Booliteers that will be here.

I'm promoting CB and my ROCKDock -Reloading Bench Docking System for the first time in public, and it should be fun. New mounts like the Dillon 550b, Belding and Mull powder measure, Dual powder measure (2 measures on one base) mount, and various other cartridge presses.

Unfortunately, I'm not showing the Checkmaker dies as I'm still behind on orders for members here and I want to get everyone taken care of first.

Another great thing is my very first friend in life moved his family here about 10 years ago, along with his mother who watched over us as babies and we are all catching up. Had a great dinner last night.

Come buy and get your CAST BOOLIT hats and stickers as well..! ... :bigsmyl2:

Pat ...:Fire:

Rocky Raab
11-12-2009, 03:37 PM
If I were still on the circuit, I'd still be driving to get there, after ten hours.

The November show was always my gangbusters sales show, Pat. I wish you the same. Heck, most times, I never even got a bathroom break while the show was open! I bet it'll be that busy this time, too.

Tell Louis and Sylvia Fascio hello from Rocky willya?

BruceB
11-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Pat;

Among the CB Board denizens you're going to meet at the Show are ammohead, NVCurmudgeon, and myself.

Perhaps we can arrange to give you a break for a potty stop, if nothing else....

See you there.

PatMarlin
11-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Great show!

Got togther with the great ones.... NVCurmudgeon, and BruceB for a beer yesterday, and then we had dinner and some laughs last nght. My buddy Pat Murphy, the fireman was with us as well and helping at the show.

Were' in section 84 so come on by and say hello. Met a few members throughout the day. Pat said a CB member named Sandy came by and bought a CB hat while I was gone. Hope he stops back by today.

BruceB
11-14-2009, 11:47 PM
Yes, we have expanded the number of our "personal contacts" with Members of our Board.

Had a very pleasant session with Pat (and friend, the OTHER Pat). Pat Marlin and I had the Grand Sierra's buffet breakfast this morning, with about half an acre of foodstuffs to choose from while waiting for Curmudgeon to put in his appearance.

Pat has his interchangeable tool-mount system on display at the Show, and I have to tell y'all that the concept and the WORKMANSHIP is great. By mounting the various machines on aluminum plates, and then sliding the plate with the immediately-required machine into the retaining "dock", one can easily maximize the available bench space.

I have a ten-foot bench, and it's too crowded. When Pat gets this set-up into production, my 550 and All-American will still be permanently mounted toward the right side of the bench. Everything else, lube-sizers, trimmer, Rockchucker, vise etc etc, will be mounted on Pat's plates for installation according to need. This will free-up a whole bunch of space. Plates cost $11.95 at this writing, and the host "dock" costs $29.95. I like it.

Curmudgeon realized a dream of several decades' standing when he found a VERY nice small-ring Husqvarna .30-06 (Okay, it's really a Sears-commissioned rifle with the above action, with Marlin barrel and stock.....but it's excellent-plus and he's happy!).

For myself, I found an M1 Garand with spectacular high-gloss reddish wood finish, completely un-scratched or dinged in any way. It still shows un-sanded cartouches from Springfield Armory. Serial number dates the receiver to mid-1943, just like ME! The barrel is "pristine", according to Ammohead, and it's one of the Danish-marked "VAR" series dated 5/61. Close inspection of all parts shows no obvious problems of any kind. I still don't understand why it was priced so low, but I got it for $550. This rifle will be fired in the next few days, possibly even with cast loads, but for certain-sure with a few service-level j-words.

As our daughter will soon be in her own home and living alone, I also found a new Remington 870 with pistol-grip on a rifle-style synthetic stock. It has hi-vis sights, cylinder "choke" in the 18" barrel, and five-round mag. I dare say it will be the LAST nightmare for anyone breaking in... She also has a Springfield .45 ACP, a K-38 and a P95 Ruger 9mm. She's ready.

Primers and powder were readily available in quantity, and most if not all brands were present. About $35/1000 seemed to be the going price for primers, and at least one vendor had quite a few powder types available out back in his truck for around $25 per pound.

This Show, for anyone who enjoys firearms in any way, is a must-see.

NVcurmudgeon
11-15-2009, 12:47 AM
Little to add to Bruce's report on the BRGS. I've been looking for a HVA to replace the one I foolishly let go in my youth. The seller from whom I bought it often has good, used, Swedish sporting rifles available. There was one in 7mm Remington Magnum, not a cast boolit shooter's first choice, and the J.C. Higgins I bought. As a bonus, it came with a Redfield Jr. scope base and I happened to have a pair of rings in my parts box, an idle fine,old, 2 3/4X Redfield Bear Cub scope, and even a Sears J.C. Higgins Ted Williams soft case. This will complete a sixties time warp outfit. Later I found an all HVA rifle in .270 at another table, but I'm still glad I got the JCH. As Col. Whelen so profoundly said, "the .30/06 is never a mistake." My other main purchase was a good, thick, heavy, gun belt from Bob Mernickle, to complement the fine Mernickle holster I already had. A quality belt is really a must for CCW, as is eliminates the slight list to port caused by a thin belt at the end of a long day. We are lucky in northern Nevada to have our very own custom holster maker. Besides the usual suspects mentioned by Bruce we ran into Brian from Gardnerville who I often see at the Carson City range. All in all, a good time was had by all, or at least the cast boolit contingent.

9.3X62AL
11-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Congrats on the new toys, gents! And to having linked up with PatMarlin, as well. I would sure as hell rather be up there at BRGS than sitting around the house, but that's how it goes.

Dale53
11-15-2009, 01:28 AM
Well, I, for one, am just a bit jealous. I would LOVE to have been there with all of you. At any rate, I am happy for you all!!

I'll just have to "make do" with the Ohio Gun Collectors Show next weekend:mrgreen:.

Dale53

Buckshot
11-15-2009, 02:01 AM
.............I do wish 9.3X62AL and my oneself could have made the trip. However had I been able to afford the gas and the room, the money available in the firearms account might have allowed me to pickup a brick of 22RF. Those I can buy down here! I would have liked to have seen everyone though. Heck if Al and I could have gone we all could have cruised the isles and done that famous female thing: Shopping by committee :-)

...............Buckshot

PatMarlin
11-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Show was a good time for everyone attending. Thanks for the compliments Bruce- I had many, many compliments from others as well, and made some very good contacts.

Also Bill you're not alone on the -'06...

Sunday, I met a friend from Sacramento who had a table at the show. Just so happened he had a very nice 1924 vintage Winchester 1895 in 30 Govt' 06. Redfield peep, mint bore, much blueing left, and hardly fired but just carried by all accounts.

He and I are doing some horse trading on it here in Sac today and it looks like it's mine ....! ....:Fire:......[smilie=w:

Digger
11-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Hey there Pat.....I happened to be the one that stopped by and picked up a hat.., sorry to have missed you.
Your mount system looks very efficient and usable, will pick one up when the finances allow later on...you had a nice display with a classic cast set up (my baby !) looked real good !.
Would like to run into BruceB some day ...been reading some of the sticky's with his info and expertise with his M1-a....nice !
Some years back I picked up a Garand , but it's a "tanker" ....with a 308 barrel and an awful lot of fun to shoot !
Functions with no problems and sometime next year , want to start casting for it.
I know some frown on tanker garands but this one's a sweethart !
Been on the learning curve with reloading and casting , but getting there and the learning is so much fun....
By the way , with the number of people at the show friday...who said the economy was bad !
digger