PDA

View Full Version : Corbin cannalure tool?

BT Sniper
11-12-2009, 04:48 AM
I'm looking for one. Does anyone have one they would like to part with?

I will post my inquire on the WTB sight but figured you guys here are the ones that would have one.

Thanks

BT

elk hunter
11-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Brian.

Why don't you build one? I can send you pictures of mine.

deltaenterprizes
11-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Brian.

Why don't you build one? I can send you pictures of mine.

I would like pics of it!

ETG
11-12-2009, 12:15 PM
I would like the pics as well.

BT Sniper
11-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Yeh I'm sure it would not take to much and could probably even figure out a design that would work but couldn't figure out what to use or how to make the actuall crimping wheel.

I didn't really put much thought in it yet and the only thing that came to mind in the short amount of though I put into it was a US quarter. Of course that would not work but would seem to be about the correct size.

EH, you have certainly come up with many great tools that we might be able to figure out on our own with a LOT of trile and error as you have mentioned but if you would like to share and enlighten us with some more of your hard earned wisdom we would all be appreciative.

Great thing you did there durning elk season.

BT

groundpounder
11-12-2009, 04:49 PM
PM sent.

elk hunter
11-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Since I opened my mouth and stuck my foot in here it is. It took me a while to find it as I haven't used it in nearly thirty years. I had forgotten how crude and ugly it is, but all I can say is, I made it a long time ago when the only power tools I owned was a 1/4" electric drill and a 6 X 24 lathe, thank GOD the tool situation has changed for the better. I think the pictures will let you see how it is made. I would hope I would do a better job today.

BT, the wheel was made by turning down a piece of one inch round stock and running one wheel of a knurling tool against it. The frame is 3" x 1/4" angle. The handle puts down pressure while you crank and there is a positive stop for the wheel to keep from cutting the jacket too deep. If you look close between the two rollers you will see the stop screw that adjusts where the cannalure is on the bullet.

Hope this is of some help.

deltaenterprizes
11-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks!

ANeat
11-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Nice, that would put a good lube groove in a swaged lead bullet as well.

BT Sniper
11-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Had not used a knurling tool yet but friend did show it to me. That was what I could not figure out the rest looks good. Just as good as the CH tool. 30 years ago..... Ch must of stold your design :)

Now be carefull about sticking your foot in your mouth or you might just have to show us how we can make our own hydrolic swaging press from spare parts. Or turn dirt into lead, or brew our own powder, make brass cases or why not our own rem 700 action from scrap tubing lying around the shop or ................. :)

Thanks EH I'll see what I can come up with. Is there any need to heat treat the cannalure wheel after forming it?

elk hunter
11-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Brian,

I didn't heat treat mine and see no reason to do so.

I'm not much for hydraulic swaging presses. The only one that I'm aware of and have seen is the Corbin. A friend had one years ago and used it to make .357 hollow base wad cutters. As far as I know all the big bullet makers use progressive punch presses. I'm sure there are more reasons than I'm aware of, but from what I've heard it's very hard to control them, hydraulic presses that is, properly. Home swaging is a feel thing. I've read that it's possible to bulge the type of dies that we make with just a simple compound leverage press. I've not done that, but do see where it could be done. As for making lead from dirt, just get me some galena ore and we'll get it done. The Afghans used to make a type of smokeless power out of old movie film, and it's possible to make LOW PRESSURE brass cases with turned heads and tubing bodies, and I have a good description of how to make a 98 Mauser receiver from scratch.

How's that for getting my foot in clear to the knee?

Regards,

BT Sniper
11-12-2009, 08:43 PM
:lol: Lol!!!! I like it.

I can see that swinging for the fence just isn't far enough with you.

I Understand about the breaking dies possiblity. I popped a 308 core seat die trying to form a boat tail on the 5.7 case with to much pressure. A 44 swage die I split like a banana with a base punch that had developed a bulge from my early attemts at heat treating the base punch. Obviously I got it soft insted of hard.

As for bulging the dies..... this would end up with oversized cores or bullets without showing any signs of cracks in the dies? May have done that a couple times too as I have a .312 die that was supposed to be a .308. A lot of tryle and error in my learning curve apparently.

If I ever make the drive over to your neck of the woods drinks are on me:drinks:

BT

p.s. Now it seems you have challenged me I'll see what sort of ideas I can come up with.

BT Sniper
11-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Ground pounder,

PM replied

elk hunter
11-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Brian,

I hope my experience helps keep someone else from making the same mistakes I made, and Lord knows I made lots of mistakes.

Speaking of experience, for a guy that's only 21 I have a lot of experience at different things, that includes over forty years of being 21. I brag a bit and tell people that I can fix just about anything but a hangover and a hernia and by golly I might even try them. If you do ever get over our way we'll treat you to lunch or dinner here at the "Road Kill Cafe" better known as Elk Hunters kitchen. You never can tell what may be served, but you can bet it will have freezer trained by the wife or myself.

If you think you're headed our way be sure to let me know ahead of time as sometimes we're just not here. As matter of fact we're headed to Arizona next week and plan to stay two or three months. Got some grand-kids to go hug up on and the daughter says they had three hatches of quail this year. Dang, did I mention I like quail hunting?

Well I've burned enough band width, time to shut up.

Regards to all.

BT Sniper
11-13-2009, 01:15 AM
I'll be sure and let you know ahead of time. Looks like you are leaving just in time as snow should be here this weekend from the looks of it.

I hope to complete some custom dies this winter and have some good bullets to show of by the time you get back.

Enjoy the time with the family and the warm AZ wx.

Got to love that Road Kill Cafe. I may actually need a bigger freezer.

Thought of somthing. A moto I lived by growing up in LaGrande. It may become my new signiture too. With a full tank of gas, a 10-22 and a couple bricks of ammo the moto was.....It flys it dies, it crawls it falls and my Dad just added the third line of it floats it croaks. Have fun hunting.

Check in every once in a while. Hey while I got you here could the wheel be smooth and unknurled and still make a crimp grove? I imagine the purpose of the notches is to allow the jacket to slightly fold allowing for the new smaller diameter. Might look pretty cool smooth just as somthing different.

Later,

BT

elk hunter
11-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Brian,

You can try a smooth wheel, but it might not have enough traction to turn the bullet on the rollers. If I were going to go with a smooth wheel I'd try to add a narrow rubber drive wheel the same diameter or slightly larger than the the cannalure wheel so it would have the added friction to turn the bullet.

deltaenterprizes
11-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Try the little drive wheel from a can opener.

BT Sniper
11-14-2009, 06:24 AM
"Try the little drive wheel from a can opener."

I like your thinking! Has it been tryied yet? I'm going threw the wife's kitchen supplies right now to see what else might be useful:)

hcpookie
11-23-2009, 12:36 PM
There are paper perforating disks that are used to make the coupon-style tear-outs on newspaper, etc. I haven't looked closely it but that may be a cheap alternative if you could rig it up against a roller.

The cannelure tool I inherited appears to use knurling wheels that were trimmed:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/swaging/100_0709.JPG

Storydude
11-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Pookie!

Glad to see you here. Your AK pages helped me build a few really nice units on the ubercheap when people said you needed 100's of dollars in tooling.
:drinks:

hcpookie
11-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Pookie!

Glad to see you here. Your AK pages helped me build a few really nice units on the ubercheap when people said you needed 100's of dollars in tooling.
:drinks:

Glad to be here! Between bullet building and AK building I have no time for anything else :mrgreen:

Storydude
11-24-2009, 12:18 PM
I remember when you posted all that swaging stuff when you got it. Cannot remember WHERE you posted it..but....:)

Now, figure out how to make a swaging press based on HF boltcutters and we are all set :D