PDA

View Full Version : Now a Mica question

Jeffery8mm
11-12-2009, 12:24 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/MICA-POWDER-Fine-WG325-1-lb-Craft-Cosmetic_W0QQitemZ400084939632QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d26ebb370

Will the be useable for same purposes as motor mica??
Thanks
Jeff

Marlin Hunter
11-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Is all mica the same?

Whats the difference between motor mica and just mica?

That e-bay mica says it's OK for cosmetics, so it might be pharmaceutical grade.

Jeffery8mm
11-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Is all mica the same?

Whats the difference between motor mica and just mica?

That e-bay mica says it's OK for cosmetics, so it might be pharmaceutical grade.

Hopefully that will get addressed!!!!!
Jeff

Wayne Smith
11-12-2009, 09:06 AM
The difference will be how finely it's ground. Pharmaceutical grade will be finer than motor mica.

Jeffery8mm
11-12-2009, 10:21 AM
The difference will be how finely it's ground. Pharmaceutical grade will be finer than motor mica.

Is this a bad thing??
Jeff

Rocky Raab
11-12-2009, 11:09 AM
That might be true, but the can of Motor Mica I have is ground REALLY fine.

BTW one can of the stuff is probably a two-lifetime supply. If you have buddies nearby, get one and divvy it up. It's probably not overly wise to try to mail a fine, off-white powder to anyone these days, LOL!

Jeffery8mm
11-12-2009, 11:44 AM
What would be wrong with just plain ole CORNSTARCH??
Jeff

lwknight
11-12-2009, 11:48 AM
What is the mica used for? Other than coating a boolit to locate rifling contact point for proper seating?

Jeffery8mm
11-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Used as a dry neck lubricant, also used on boolits that were lubed with LLA so as to take away some of the tackiness.
Jeff

Jeffery8mm
11-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Back to the cornstarch question???
Jeff

Cadillo
11-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Isn't mica supposed to pose some health issues similar to those created by asbestos?

Wayne Smith
11-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Every kind of eye liner, hair stuff, or other cosmetics that are reflective to almost any degree have mica in them.

stubshaft
11-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Of course this product comes to light just after I purchased mica at $10.00+ for 4 ounces.

LAH
11-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Back to the cornstarch question???
Jeff

Anyone know?

Rocky Raab
11-12-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't believe that cornstarch is any kind of a lube, it is just very soft. Mica, like graphite, is made up of tiny plates that slide across each other easily - hence the dry lube effect. Mica also does not absorb water, as cornstarch most definitely does.

I have never heard of any health problem due to mica. That only reflects my ignorance of the topic, however.

Edit to add: Hey, 500 posts with this one! Whoo hoo!

Marlin Hunter
11-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Used as a dry neck lubricant, also used on boolits that were lubed with LLA so as to take away some of the tackiness.
Jeff

Some people use it to lube shotgun wads. Throw a teaspoon full in a large bag of wads and shake. It's suppose to make the wad fit in the hull easier and also is suppose to help with plastic fouling of the barrel and choke.

AZ-Stew
11-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Some people use it to lube shotgun wads. Throw a teaspoon full in a large bag of wads and shake. It's suppose to make the wad fit in the hull easier and also is suppose to help with plastic fouling of the barrel and choke.

Nice tip. Thanks!

Regards,

Stew

Jeffery8mm
11-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Rocky, Im glad it was my post that got you your 500th post!!!!!!
Jeff

Jeffery8mm
11-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Mica it will be. Applied with a kabuki brush. My wife now thinks strange things about me. I am, dusting my boolits with "makeup and a makeup brush"!!! Good thing she is a MK rep!!
Jeff

Cadillo
11-12-2009, 11:49 PM
I don't believe that cornstarch is any kind of a lube, it is just very soft. Mica, like graphite, is made up of tiny plates that slide across each other easily - hence the dry lube effect. Mica also does not absorb water, as cornstarch most definitely does.

I have never heard of any health problem due to mica. That only reflects my ignorance of the topic, however.

Edit to add: Hey, 500 posts with this one! Whoo hoo!

Yep! I did a search on Altavista. Real bad for the respiratory system. I first heard about this years ago and quit using it for neck sizing lube because of it.

It's for real. Let the user beware.

765x53
11-15-2009, 02:04 AM
Very little goes a very long way. Less than 1/4 teaspoon shaken in a box or bag will coat a hundred bullets.
A teaspoon would dust a dozen bags of wads.
Yes, I would advise agains snorting it.

Wayne S
11-23-2009, 01:31 PM
I just ordered 2 # of the mica from the e bay dealer, he also sells direct so you don't have to puss with e bay
I put a table spoon or so in a plastic dish and toss my just lubsized bullets into the dish , this keeps the still warm lube [still tacky] from getting on the noses of other bullets.
Just be sure to wipe excess mica/lube off after loading, ESPICALLY wheel guns, as it will build up on the cylinder pis and locking latch. no need asking me how I know this :bigsmyl2:

Rocky Raab
11-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I defer to the health warning. It DOES say "Do Not Inhale" on the side of my can, I discover.

Then again, can anybody think of a product that says "Okay to Inhale?" Me neither.

The up side is that it lets me type one of my all-time really big words! Ready? It's a mining disease from inhaling silicone dust: pneumoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoneosis.

LAH
11-25-2009, 10:52 AM
pneumoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoneosis.

This man had that.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Creeker001.jpg

Rocky Raab
11-25-2009, 11:08 AM
My sincerest condolences, based on the word "had."

LAH
11-28-2009, 08:44 PM
My sincerest condolences, based on the word "had."

That was my Dad. He lived to retire after a heart attack but only made it to 68.

mdi
12-12-2009, 01:06 PM
As to the health question, can't ship mica to CA. I tried to buy some a while back and the notation in the description said "cannot ship to California". And you know if there is the least remote possibility that if you feed a pound of mica to a rat and he gets sick, CA will ban it!

Bad Water Bill
12-12-2009, 01:20 PM
I remember when they banned Saccarin. You would have to drink 400 cans of pop per DAY to equal the amount they fed the mice to cause cancer. Want to bet your kidneys would fail first or maybe your finger from pulling all those tabs every day.

Echo
12-13-2009, 03:12 AM
Isn't mica supposed to pose some health issues similar to those created by asbestos?

EVERYTHING poses health issues...

Rocky Raab
12-13-2009, 11:14 AM
I would be exceedingly leery about mailing a baggie of mica. Any cream-colored powder in the mails today could land you in a spotlight you would not welcome.

(Yes, mica does look almost exactly like that "other stuff" that made so many headlines a while back.)

Cactus Farmer
12-13-2009, 11:32 AM
I would be exceedingly leery about mailing a baggie of mica. Any cream-colored powder in the mails today could land you in a spotlight you would not welcome.

(Yes, mica does look almost exactly like that "other stuff" that made so many headlines a while back.)

Oh,no! Weaponized mica! Next is weaponized dust! We're doomed.

EVERYTHING is dangerous. If you don't use your brain. Breathing air causes death. If you don't breath you never die........never live either......I chose breathing and using my brain.

shdwlkr
12-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Cactus Farmer
Congress just ruled that CO2 is a dangerous gas and should be banned.
As to the use of Mica, have you noticed that the use of gun powder can be dangerous along with gasoline, diesel fuel, kerosene, lamp oil, electricty, salt, peper and what ever you want if you don't follow the rules of use it will get you.
Soon we will have the government telling us how to sleep, where to work, where to put our money, when you can and can't not have kids, what kids are acceptable and what kids should be gotten rid of, where you can live, how and at what level you can live and if you can travel out of the area where you live and most of all who can and can not have firearms and how many in what calibers. Yep things are getting so much better since we got the Change so many voted for Last fall. Just hope they are happy with the results when we are being lead off to the death camps because we like firearms and love this country and maybe even served in the military and now are home grown terrorists in the eyes of our government.
time to get off my soapbox as it is getting slippery.

Rocky Raab
12-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Hey, I'm just saying that if some postal worker sees "a suspicious powder" dribbling from an envelope, the sender is going to receive a less than polite knock on his door.

You may take that for what it is worth, but if you disregard it and end up in a small room under a bright light (likely with all your guns confiscated for a very long time) don't blame me.

shdwlkr
12-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Rocky
I am not sure some postal workers would even notice the white powder leaking out unless it covered the floor white.
There are many things that I wouldn't ship now just because of the attitude in the country right now. Seems everyone today is out to stick their noses in everyone else's business until it comes back to them.
Me I can tell which houses around me have people in them and which don't but as to who is in the houses haven't a clue and we wave when we see each other but leave each other alone. If anyone needs help we all come running just like when I was a kid, maybe that is why I like where I am.
I like people who get their hands dirty with dirt, poop, fertilizer and grow things. They seem to have so much better idea of what is important and what isn't.

Rocky Raab
12-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Me, too, my friend. Thanks.

Just trying to head off a "Oh chit, I hadn't thought of THAT!" moment.

Blammer
12-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Just make sure you put it in an indestructable container when you mail it. :)

anybody ever tried to mix mica into some lube for your boolits?

felix
12-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Yes! It makes sorry revolters shoot just OK given enough rounds. ... felix

pascalp
12-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Talc is also a dry lubricant.
I use-it as neck lubricant and for LLA coating.
Began with-it because I wasn't able to find cheap motor mica. Talc (baby powder) wasn't scarce and not too expensive, I just double checked that it was real mineral talc.
Now my bullets are silky and smell good :)

shdwlkr
12-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Rocky
At this time of year I keep thinking of those who are defending our right to exist as a people and a nation. We owe them so much and they expect for the most part so little. To be treated as hero's, to not be called terrorists by their own government and most of all to be accepted as individuals once they put down the uniform.
One day when I am up in Utah we will have to sit for a spell and talk the old days and when we were young and foolish and so proud of America and what we could do in the world just by saying to back off to foreign governments.

LAH
12-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Now my bullets are silky and smell good :)

This is great...............Creeker