PDA

View Full Version : Need quick advice on seating lead

Jeffery8mm
11-11-2009, 11:35 PM
I am seating a Lee 150gr gc boolit in a 308 win case. If i seat it to the "crimp" grove, the OAL is VERY short!! AS in 2.44. I know my J word load are out there around 2.80. I am lubing these with lla.
Is that COAL ok?? Seems like a long jump for the boolit.
Any suggestions?? I don't have the Lee book or it may help.
Thanks
Jeff

Uncle Grinch
11-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Jeff,

Are you loading them to hunt or target shoot?

Hunting may require more care in not exposing the lube grooves since the rounds are handled more.

You can seat them out more but you need to be careful if the lube grooves are exposed. A lot of guys seat their boolits so the gas check is even with the base of the next, assuming it does not exceed maximum OAL. Remember OAL is affected by both the chamber and magazine.

Jeffery8mm
11-11-2009, 11:53 PM
These are mainly plinking, but will be hunting with some like this also. Does it hurt the GC to be below the neck if the GC is crimped on via the lee sizer??

mpmarty
11-12-2009, 12:07 AM
drop a boolit into the chamber without a cartridge case with the rifle pointed down. Tap it lightly to "stick" it in the throat. Gently move the rifle to horizontal and slide a quarter inch wooden dowel down the barrel and mark the dowel at the muzzle when it touches the nose of the boolit. Now tap the boolit out of the chamber and close the bolt. Reinsert the dowel and mark it when it is against the bolt face. The difference between the marks is your maximum overall length for a loaded round. I'd subtract about twenty thousandths of an inch from that measurement. It should be 2.80" or thereabouts. With cast boolits don't worry about higher pressures with moderate loads if you shorten the thing a bit to fit. Don't worry about your lube grooves at all as with the LLA it should not be a problem once dried. If you wish sprinkle a bit of motor mica on the dried boolits to make them easier to handle.:coffeecom

Jeffery8mm
11-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Marty, never thought of doing that!! I like that idea and will definately do that!!!
Jeff

Shiloh
11-12-2009, 12:26 AM
To answer your question, I'd make sure the gas check is securely crimped if seating where the boolit base is in the cartridge body. Mine are secure, as well as being held in place by the neck.

Shiloh

Jeffery8mm
11-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks guys!
Looks like some experimentation is in order.
Jeff

Ricochet
11-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Does it hurt the GC to be below the neck if the GC is crimped on via the lee sizer??
The short answer is "no."

Jeffery8mm
11-12-2009, 11:04 AM
The short answer is "no."

That is what I am hoping for. Cant see the lube sticking out of the case and not collecting dirt!!
Jeff