PDA

View Full Version : Local scrap dealer has lead

Marlin Hunter
11-11-2009, 08:24 PM
I just checked out my local scrap metal dealer for lead and they literally have tons of it. Some of the blocks are 12"x24"x6". I don't know how much it weighs but I know I cant lift it. They have several pallets of these blocks. The bad part is it is $1.25 a pound and the composition is unknown. Well at least it is a source when the wheel weights dry up.

Kskybroom
11-11-2009, 09:37 PM
I would go by one. Smelter an see?

montana_charlie
11-11-2009, 10:24 PM
You're talking about spending $900 just to find out if it's good stuff...
CM

lwknight
11-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Why pay a scrapper $1.25 per pound when you can buy pure certified from a foundry at near true market price. BTW as of yesterday was $1.03
I'm think of hanging out a sign to buy scrap lead and WWs. I live just 1/4 mile from a scrapper who will not sell me lead cause I might make fishing weights out of it. Go figger.. Dang tree huggers.
Maybe I can offer a bit more than the scrapper does.

Shiloh
11-12-2009, 12:35 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

Shiloh

Marlin Hunter
11-12-2009, 01:13 AM
You're talking about spending $900 just to find out if it's good stuff...
CM

I only have a half ton truck. I don't know if the truck will hold a block that big. But I do know I cannot lift it out of the back to put it in a smelter.

Marlin Hunter
11-12-2009, 01:14 AM
Why pay a scrapper $1.25 per pound when you can buy pure certified from a foundry at near true market price. BTW as of yesterday was $1.03

Maybe thats why they had so much sitting around.

fredj338
11-12-2009, 01:46 AM
Not sure how you would melt a block that large. If you get hard up for alloy, Widener's has known alloy for about $1.56/# delivered. Pricey, but better than nothing & it's about like hardball. http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8750&dir=278|885

imashooter2
11-12-2009, 08:24 AM
I only have a half ton truck. I don't know if the truck will hold a block that big. But I do know I cannot lift it out of the back to put it in a smelter.

1728 ci * .4096 lb/ci = 707.7888 lb

chris in va
11-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Not sure how you would melt a block that large

First post, I know...but I had a thought. Perhaps hit the sides with a propane torch and catch the lead running down with a pan?

lwknight
11-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I used a oxy-acelylene torch with a gentle flame to melt out into a pan from a huge chunk of lead. The propane torch probably would not work to satisfaction on chunk lead.

JSnover
11-12-2009, 01:17 PM
-1 on the propane idea. It doesn't throw enough heat for big chunks like that. Maybe a bandsaw to make smaller chunks....

montana_charlie
11-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Playing fire from any kind of torch directly on a lead alloy will vaporize lead from the surface.
That is a dangerous way to melt lead.

Better would be to have a flat griddle over a propane burner with the block resting on it.
The edge of the griddle has a 'chip' knocked out at one corner to act as a spout, and hangs slightly beyond the 'stove' so you can get a catch container under it.

As the bottom of the block melts away, the liquid metal runs into your container.
It should happen at a slow enough rate for you to switch containers as they fill up.
If the melting starts to get ahead of you, reduce the fire a little.

Keep an eye on the block of lead to make sure it stays straight up while melting. If it starts to lean, one side is getting more heat than the other. Turn it around to make it 'readjust'.

For that 700-pounder described in this discussion, I would have a chain hoist and tripod to lift and lower the block.
I would set it down inside a big skillet to melt lead off of the bottom, and raise it out of the melt to empty the skillet with a dipper.
Then lower it back down for more melting.

At all times, the tripod would be holding most of the weight...not the skillet.

CM

lwknight
11-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I guess I was not clear enough, Using the feathered end of a gentle flame , moving around an area of several square inches will not vaporize anything including water.
I took it granted that anyone would know not to just put the orafice of the flame right in one spot and stay on it. Sorry. My bad..

imashooter2
11-12-2009, 11:18 PM
I guess I was not clear enough, Using the feathered end of a gentle flame , moving around an area of several square inches will not vaporize anything including water.
I took it granted that anyone would know not to just put the orafice of the flame right in one spot and stay on it. Sorry. My bad..

If it won't vaporize water, it won't melt a 700 pound heat sink either.