PDA

View Full Version : 03A3 front sight base

rvpilot76
05-08-2006, 03:47 AM
I was going to put a Lyman globe front sight in my Springfield a while back, and found out that it doesn't have a 3/8" dovetail cut. What gives? Does anyone know what cut the 03A3 front sight base has? Can you guys think of a way to modify the front sight base to accept a 3/8" dovetail front sight?

Kevin

Antietamgw
05-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Kevin,
There was a recent thread that included this and other excellant in-depth info regarding various '03 front sights. I think the thread was titled '03 sporter? All you could want to know plus some. The detailed info available from these guys is incredible! That said, I have a 17 front sight with the proper '03 dovetail, bought somewhere avhile back for my '03 project. It's not for sale but I wouldn't sweat it if I didnt have one. A standard 17 with 3/8" dovetail can be adapted. Make 1 side of a 60 degree file safe and have at it or have someone with a mill alter one. I believe I'd do that before I opened up the dovetail on the front sight base to 3/8" though either would serve the purpose. I've altered a couple 17's for friends that had various mausers that needed globe sights and it worked out well. Altering one for the larger old Remington dovetail is a bit tougher!
Happy tinkering,
Mark

Char-Gar
05-08-2006, 12:08 PM
RVPilot.. This is off topic, but did you get my PM in regards to your Fatter 30 Money Order? I could not cash it, due to the fact you signed it on the back as "Payee" and it was made out too me. It is in the mail back to you now.

Please answer my PM..if you still want to go forward with the Fatter 30 purchase.

On the 03A3 issues, Lyman made a globe front sight on a band, that replaces the front sight assembly on the 03 and 03A3. they come up on Ebay from time, to time, but they can be pricey.

rvpilot76
05-09-2006, 12:10 AM
No, I didn't get the PM. I thought it might have been me when I saw your post; I hoped it wasn't. ARRRGGGHHHH! I'll get a new money order sent out tomorrow. I hope that won't be too late. MAN, do I feel stupid! Live and learn, I guess.

Kevin

Frank46
05-09-2006, 03:34 AM
Kevin, I did take an 03A3 front sight base and file in a 3/8" dove tail for a bead front sight. So I know its possible. What you might be wanting is an old lyman 17xnb front sight. This replaces the issue front sight and just happens to have a globe on the top. Gary Fellers in texas is the guy to call for these sights. They ain't cheap but do look nice mounted on a 03A3. 817-346-9633 give him a buzz and he should be able to help you out. He also sells lyman, redfield and other rear sights for the springfield. Maybe you could have him get you a lyman 48 125 sight for your springfiield. I had one on a smith corona some years ago and although they aren't made anymore they are very good sights when teamed with a globe front. Hope this helps, Frank