PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pot leaking around the spout?

thx997303
11-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Interesting. I am going to contact Lee about this, but I was wondering if anybody had any idea as to why it may be leaking around the spout.

mooman76
11-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I don't have a bottom pour but has been an on going issue. One thing it sometimes gets gunk around the spout so it can't close properly. It is imparative that you pre clean the lead good to help prevent this. Some just put something under the drip like a ingot mould and live with it. Also I have heard a fix is to attach a pair of vise grips to the handle to give it more weight and close the spout better.

Casting Timmy
11-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Isn't that just how they work? Just joking, mine had that problem and still does from time to time. The next time you use it drain it empty when you're done and clean it. Some people kind of jam something up there while they're casting too from what I've read. I'll keep a screwdriver handy and sometimes wiggle the shaft to try and get it to stop.

Both of my pots are pretty old, so they've seen some use. I've had to rebend the handles on them too. If you bought used pots and my handles were bent pointing close to the ground. Rebending them so they're correct keeps the weight pushing down on the shaft when you're not pouring.

I always try and keep something under my pots as they warm up or if I stop casting for a minute just in case though.

Hope some of this helps.

dragonrider
11-11-2009, 08:07 PM
This must be a 10 pound pot, the spot in them are pressed in and can loosen. Happened to mine because I would tap the to top of the rod to stop the drip. Eventually this action loosened the spout causing to leak uncontrolled. Lee does sell the inner pot complete with spout so you can repair it.

Horace
11-11-2009, 09:21 PM
The Pro 4 20 pot has a removable spout the nut may need to be tightened.Have not rebuilt the 10 pound pot so can`t say. Horace

Freischütz
11-11-2009, 09:39 PM
I had an experience like Dragonrider. The pot kept dripping and after tapping it a few times, I whacked it. Out came the spout and the lead. Good thing I kept the melter on a tray. That contained the flood.

wellfedirishman
11-11-2009, 10:20 PM
I had the same problem and it drove me nuts, until I did the following:

Take a 90 degree allen key (small) so you can hold the long part offside of the spout, and insert the small part inside the spout from below and wiggle it around to clear the crud in there. Then it should work fine.

The reason you use the 90 degree key is in case the spout floods and spills hot lead straight down, you don't want to get your hand burned.

Of course, use GLOVES, and EYEWEAR and put a drip tray under the spout to catch any dripped/flowing lead.

Some people kind of jam something up there while they're casting too from what I've read. I'll keep a screwdriver handy and sometimes wiggle the shaft to try and get it to stop.

RP
11-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Never dealt with a lee but I got a old lyman and I mean old when i get a dripping problem with mine i remove the rod from the handle and spin it in the spout. Like lapping a valve and some times i use the allen wrench trick or a piece of 12g cooper wire. Dont know it it will work on a Lee.

thx997303
11-11-2009, 11:39 PM
To those suggesting cleaning it, it's not the spout that's leaking, it's around the spout that is leaking.

It is a 4-20 pot. I will try tightening the nut.

stubshaft
11-12-2009, 12:25 AM
You can as indicated tighten the spout by removing the pot. Since I ladle pour I bought a replacement pot without the spout for the princely sum of $17.95. It is a direct fit and there is no way for it to leak now!

Phat Man Mike
11-12-2009, 02:58 AM
my brothers new 20 pounder leaked all over his wife's table !![smilie=b: he took the pot apart and found the nut around the spout was loose! (musta been built after a loosing packers game) he had a mess from hell! lead all over the place! some people take a flat head screw driver bit and put it in a cordless drill and spin the shaft to seat it like lapping a valve! mine don't leak but I guess that's a good thing.

ELFEGO BACA
11-12-2009, 02:59 AM
If a bottom pour pot is not leaking it's because it is not being used. Today my Lee 4 20 pot leaked then frooze then leaked. To 'solve' this problem i tap lightly on the top of the spout or use a screwdriver and turn the spout.

A clean alloy may be a better solution.

jmar254
11-13-2009, 09:12 PM
The fact that it leaks isn't a surprise, now if it didn't leak THAT would be a surprise.

I like that my drips a little, that way I know that it's ready to make boolits.

robertbank
11-14-2009, 01:43 AM
The fact that it leaks isn't a surprise, now if it didn't leak THAT would be a surprise.

I like that my drips a little, that way I know that it's ready to make boolits.
Truer words were never spoken. I reversed mine, built a stand for it and it now leaks into my RCBS Pro Melter. I use the Lee 10# pot to melt my spru and to add new lead. Lee should provide a certificate of authenticity and it should read. "To test to see this is an original Lee 10# pot, heat. If it leaks it is a Lee if it doesn't it is a cheap Chinese knockoff.:wink:

Take Care

Bob

Freightman
11-14-2009, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=Phat Man Mike;715564][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]my brothers new 20 pounder leaked all over his wife's table !!
In this case my least problem would have been a leaky pot!