PDA

View Full Version : Lube-O-Matic (again)...

BCB
11-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Well, I see why I gave up on the Lube-O-Matic some years ago!!!

Recently I did get it to perform well with the 45-270-SAA boolit and a 0.454” sizing die. It put the lube on nicely…

O.K. Many years ago, I attempted to use this critter to lube the 358429 boolit. I purchased a 0.358” sizing die and went about making the effort to make this machine work—I gave up back then…

So, today since I had good success with the 45 boolit, I thought I would give the 358429 boolit another try…

And the reason I gave up years ago came back today!!! The lube gets all over the base of the boolit. I am more familiar with this critter so I measured the boolits. They are right at 0.358” or a bit smaller. I guess that is the problem. They don’t fit into the die tight enough to stop the lube from moving from the side of the boolit onto the bottom of it…

So really, it makes the Lube-O-Matic mostly ineffective if a boolit isn’t oversized for the die…

Hate to purchase a 0.357” die (if they even make them) as that might make the slug to small for my Marlin Microgroove barrel…

Maybe this is why the liquid alox is used much of the time by me and others?

BCB

GP100man
11-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Bcb

I opened a 358477 with lappin compound enuff to throw a fat boolit

1 of my revolvers favorites now!!!!

BCB
11-11-2009, 04:44 PM
GP100man,

How do you do that and still keep the corners and base good and square/sharp?

Will Lyman do it for me at a wait of probably a couple of years?!!!

BCB

lwknight
11-11-2009, 11:17 PM
I posted this in another thread earlier.
I put a gas check in the bottom of the sizer to seal the BB bullet base from gunking up with lube. It works great unless I press the bullet too hard then I get a gas checked bullet

doubs43
11-12-2009, 01:08 AM
I've found that when I don't adjust the sizing die depth deep enough, the lube wants to get under the base of the boolit. Setting the die to go deeper and keeping constant pressure on the boolit until it bottoms keeps the lube from under the boolits.

doubs43
11-12-2009, 01:10 AM
I posted this in another thread earlier.
I put a gas check in the bottom of the sizer to seal the BB bullet base from gunking up with lube. It works great unless I press the bullet too hard then I get a gas checked bullet

Do you place the open cup up or down?

MtGun44
11-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Adjust the stop to you let the boolit go deeper. You should have the base of the
boolit hard against the bottom pin and move the 'joint' between the boolit base and
the pin past the lube holes quickly. If you get lube between the base and the pin,
scrape it clean with a small screwdriver (gently!) and do another boolit. It will work
fine once the adjustment is correct. Also, DON'T overpressure the lube reservoir.

With the sizer die out of the machine, hold up your boolit (outside) and put the main
lube groove or highest of multiple grooves lined up with the highest groove and note
where the boolit nose is located. You want to be pushing the boolit this deep into the
die when sizing.

Bill

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
11-12-2009, 09:06 AM
358429 is not a bevel base boolit.

MTgun44 hit the nail right on the head.

If using heat, use just enough to get it to flow. If the lube flows fine without heat, get just enough pressure to fill the grooves. If you don't have enough pressure, only part of the grooves will fill. Add just a touch of pressure.

Patience is a virtue! ;)

GP100man
11-12-2009, 12:35 PM
BCB

I turned mine slow & put the compound sparingly on the bands only .

It is hard to do with a "small" boolit but worth the time !!

You can also use comet powder cleaner & make a paste with it , it`s less aggressive than lappin compound .

True i`ve sacrificed some crispness on the corners but gain in size was worth it .

When i lube i bump the handle every other boolit .

I lube with CR & maintain 100f-110f

870TC
11-12-2009, 05:28 PM
A small piece of Styrofoam coffee cup put under the bullet works too. Similar to the upside down gas check idea. Cups from fast food, or gas stations work best as they are a firmer foam.

BCB
11-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks all,

The Styrofoam and the gas check methods both work quite well—amazing…

I am glad that I did not start casting boolits in the early 70’s when encouraged to do so by the owner of the local gun shop where I used to hang from time to time…

One might ask, “WHY”. Well I will tell you why. I would have gotten discouraged and given it up as a lost cause! I sure have received some very good advice and assistance on this website. It appears there is no problem that has not been encountered by someone else and has been solved…

But maybe the older molds from back then might have been better? Oh well, I’m happy with the ones I have now…

Thanks…BCB

lwknight
11-12-2009, 08:20 PM
I have been putting the check cup side up. I never thought about turning cup down. It may have benifits. I will try it out soon.