PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding a saeco pot?

machinisttx
11-11-2009, 03:33 PM
The thermostat on mine is cranky and knob movement in a certain range doesn't change the temp at all. Once it's past the bad spot, temp will stay pretty stable until you start pouring boolits..and then it just keeps rising, as if the element doesn't shut off or something isn't reading correctly.

A fellow over on the S&W forums gave me some info on a new thermostat, heating element, and a place that will rebuild the pot for you if you want to go that route.

What's my best bet here?

oneokie
11-11-2009, 04:14 PM
If your pot is melting alloy, the element is good. The temp rising as the level in the pot lowers is normal.

Do a search here for posts by member Tippet. There is info on that thread about aftermarket thermostats, and sources for them.

machinisttx
11-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Yes, the element is fine...right now.

A true thermostat, which I presume my pot is equipped with, would have a temporary increase in temp, then drop to the original setpoint if no more metal was removed. Mine however, does not do this...the temperature will remain elevated unless more metal is added. I would prefer that when I set it at 680, it doesn't rise to 750 or 800 after just a few bullets have been poured.

Anyhow, I'll do a search. Thanks. :-)

oneokie
11-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Another thread, with pic of thermostat.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=31213&highlight=Saeco