PDA

View Full Version : Remington Model 8

Denver
05-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Finally found one today in the condition and caliber I wanted at the first ever for our town, gunshow. It's a 35 Rem. and is in excellent shape with maybe 98% blue. The wood is a little scratched and dented, but no cracks and appears untouched with original buttplate. Best of all, there aren't any extra holes anywhere. Bore appears mint,and slugs at about .3575 .
Ran right home and loaded up a few rounds with RCBS 200 gr FP Boolits over 35 grs of Surp 7383 and headed for the range. Shot a couple 3 shot groups at about 65 yds that went into 2 inchs or so with the open sights. Shot a couple 5 shot strings as fast as I could re-sight at a silhouett target at about 125 yds. She digested everything without a hitch.
Serial number is in the 64000 range. Anyone have info as to the year of manufacture? Also there is a screw at the rear of the receiver that may be for mounting a receiver sight. Not sure if that was the intent, but I have seen these rifles with a sight mounted there. Would like to have one if anyone knows of one.
I also noticed that the receiver is cut with a slot that takes the stripper clips like some military rifles, so I loaded one up, and danged if it didn't work!
Back to the range tomorrow for more load testing.

Denver:castmine:

Ranch Dog
05-08-2006, 09:07 AM
These are very interesting rifles. I bought one a couple of years ago and I've never shot it. I have a friend that just bought one at a gunshow and it had a same period Weaver scope mounted with a Weaver side mount. It shoots great and with the scope actually looks pretty cool!

KCSO
05-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Somewhere I have the book, REMINGTON MODEL 8, I will try and look up the number.

Hairtrigger
05-08-2006, 09:12 PM
this may help.
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes

I have a Rem 81 in 300 savage that I enjoy shooting but do not hunt with it

crazy mark
05-09-2006, 12:43 AM
Be prepared to pay good money for a receiver sight. Last 2 I saw were in the $140 price range. They aren't getting any cheaper either. I have one on my 81 in 300 Sav. Mark

Denver
05-09-2006, 12:47 AM
this may help.
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes

I have a Rem 81 in 300 savage that I enjoy shooting but do not hunt with it

Thanks for the info. I found the letter code on the left side of the barrel extension. It is DD which indicates Sept 1935 as the manufacture date if I'm reading the chart right.

:lovebooli

Denver
05-09-2006, 01:07 AM
Be prepared to pay good money for a receiver sight. Last 2 I saw were in the $140 price range. They aren't getting any cheaper either. I have one on my 81 in 300 Sav. Mark

Yes. I have no doubt they'll be a bit pricey, but as nice as the gun is, I figure a sight that is original to the gun would only add to the value. I found out today the rear sight has no windage adjustment. I would assume the receiver sight does.

KCSO
05-09-2006, 10:53 AM
That date would be about right according to the book.

Denver
05-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Somewhere I have the book, REMINGTON MODEL 8, I will try and look up the number.

KCSO

Any chance your book on the Model 8 would have disassembly/reassembly instructions?

45 2.1
05-10-2006, 07:54 PM
KCSO

Any chance your book on the Model 8 would have disassembly/reassembly instructions?

The 8 and 81 were take down rifles. Take off the forend and you will find an attached lever near the receiver. Lock the bolt back and unscrew the lever. The barrel will come apart from the receiver then. You really don't want to go any further than removing the barrel assembly from the receiver. DO NOT try to take the barrel jacket off, it is under a lot of spring pressure.

NVcurmudgeon
05-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Denver, PM headed your way.

crazy mark
05-10-2006, 11:46 PM
The receiver sight isn't windage adjustable. The front sight is on my 81. Mark

Hairtrigger
05-11-2006, 06:47 AM
There was an article on the Remington 8 in a recent issue of either Shooting Times or RIFLE magazine, I cannot remember which.

Bret4207
05-12-2006, 07:44 AM
FWIW- As a lad growing up in the cetral Adirondacks these were quite a common rifle. Oddly enough, some were pretty good grouping-wise. You wouldn't think it, but they will shoot.

My son went to the local gunny-shop with me the other day and was quite taken with a Remington model 14 (slide action) in 35 Remington with the Lyman tang sight. At least the kid has taste.

45 2.1
05-12-2006, 07:53 AM
My son went to the local gunny-shop with me the other day and was quite taken with a Remington model 14 (slide action) in 35 Remington with the Lyman tang sight. At least the kid has taste.

Those are harder to find than hens teeth here. Don't pass that one up.

Denver
05-12-2006, 10:51 AM
FWIW- As a lad growing up in the cetral Adirondacks these were quite a common rifle. Oddly enough, some were pretty good grouping-wise. You wouldn't think it, but they will shoot.

Trp. Brett;

The model 14, 141, 8 & 81 were also common here in Michigan as deer rifles. My Dad and I both had 14s in 30 Rem cal. Various uncles, cousins, and in-laws had a variety of Rems in the above models.
My Dad always swore he could tell from the sound when someone shot a Rem auto as it made a noticeabley different sound. Sort of a double report.
There was a Rem 141 in 35 cal at the same show where I bought the Mdl 8, that was in near new condition. I didn't want to pass up the one I bought, and the guy was willing to deal, where the other guy wouldn't.

NVcurmudgeon
05-12-2006, 02:30 PM
That Lyman tang sight looks cool and helps accuracy. I had to pay $75 for one for my M141, and it's well worth it.

Bent Ramrod
05-14-2006, 07:59 PM
I believe John Henwood's book "The 8 and the 81" is now in its second edition.

He's at 819 Linda Mar Blvd., Pacifica CA 94044, (415) 359-1719, or was, when I bought my first edition. It has everything, including sights, assembly-disassembly, collectors' info, etc.

Mine is in .25 Remington, a tragically underappreciated caliber.

Bent Ramrod
05-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Oops, forgot your question. According to Henwood's book, your 64,000 range 8 was made in 1930.

26Charlie
05-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Along with the K31 (posted under Military Rifles) There was a M81 .300 Savage in the rack. It had a low price on it because it had been uglified - stock shortened, recoil pad added, and a scope base screwed on to the side at about the 10-O'clock position on the receiver with six (count 'em, 6) screws. Blue, mostly all there - owner fell down in the rocks once, that's all.
Already have a M81 in .35 Rem, and one in .32 Rem Rimless, but it's like having a set of spoons with one missing - one wants to complete the collection.
So, would they let it go for $200 if I bought the K31 at the same time? Yes - such a deal!
Took it to the range with some jacketed hunting handloads, and one cast bullet load I had left over from another .300 Savage rifle. Jacketed bullets are holding the black at 100 yards "wrist rest" with the rear notch and bead front sight, but nothing special - 5" groups or so. Had a failure to extract, and a failure to eject which caused a smokestack jam.
Then fired the 5 rounds of RCBS 30-180-SP 180 gr. GC, 24.0 gr. Scot 4197, CCI 250 primer - my notes say loaded back in Dec 2000. Surprise - four of the shots into 1.25 inches, the fifth wide to the left opening the group to 3.4 inches, and all rounds cycled the action!
The empties all go straight up into my hat-brim, and fall down onto the bench right in reach. I'll keep an eye open for another stock, but I'm pleased with this hunting gun for two bills, and I'll ignore the scope base since its not in the way of anything. The stock is short enough that it may have been the plan to shoot it in winter with a heavy coat - I had to be very careful of the shooting-hand thumb, and hold it off to the side, just like I have to do with a Garand.

Oldrifleshooter
12-14-2008, 02:29 AM
Just bought a Remington Model 8 in .35 rem, nice rifle. Am taking down for thorough cleaning and can't get pin out that holds fireing pin in place. any tricks , lookd=s like it should go out in the up to left direction. Any body know. The Remington manual just says "remove pin that holds firing pin in place" not which way!

Thanks for your help!

KCSO
12-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Let me get my Model 8 Book back Monday and i will post the diagram and full instructions alon with the date code.

Brownie
01-01-2009, 10:58 AM
I have a Remington Model 8 in .30 Rem and it has a Lyman #41 receiver sight with windage adjustment and a Lyman #5B combination front sight.