PDA

View Full Version : repro M1 Garand Bayonets

Patrick L
11-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Just wanted to pass on that Cheaper than Dirt is selling repro WWII style bayonets (forgive me for not being up on all of the designations; I'm refering to the 10 inch blade, ring mount and ribbed plastic handles, not the shorter stud mounted Korean war type) For $39.99 including a repro scabbard. I have long wanted this type of bayonet for display purposes but was unwilling to pay the price of the originals.

I ordered one, and must say they're not bad for the price. It snapped right on my two M1s and my 03A3. Its a bit tight on my o3, but I may have a booger or burr on the lug I'm not seeing, or the lug may be just a bit fat.

No one will ewver mistake these for originals, but it satified my wants. I just thought I'd share.

1874Sharps
11-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Years ago I bought one of the cheap Korean War chopped down bayonets for my M1, even though it was an authentic WWII rifle complete with lockbar rear sight and proper stock cartouches. I did not realize what I had at the time!

jonk
11-11-2009, 10:48 AM
I've got an original that I picked up for $60 not too long ago. Cheap because it was sharpened.

Now my own opinion would be, modern made M1, get a modern bayonet. Old M1, get an old bayonet. But for display purposes these should do nicely for you. Let us know how the quality looks.

PatMarlin
11-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Backin the 60's as an 8 year old, I'm scopin' out metals and other stuff at the gunshow to buy with my savings hard earned from mowing lawns.

I dug through a box and find this cool bayonet, ask how much it is, and the guy says $10. I say "SOLD".

I run back to my dad's table to show him my new find, and he says, "Oh that's nice son", or something close to it.

Just so happens he also has a M1 Camp Perry National match Garand I believe it was on the table, and there's another guy looking at it as I walked up. This guy sees the bayonet and tells my dad that it will fit the rifle.

My dad says, "Naw- it won't fit, and the guy says "Yah it will". Dad picks up my bayonet and "click"- there it went. Last I ever saw of it ...:mrgreen:

Now I want it back ...:roll:

Funny- the stuff you NEVER forget... :roll:

10-x
11-11-2009, 11:22 AM
FWIW, the 16" blade bayonets are Models 1905s, WWI dated and well finished. WWII caused the finish to decline ,the rare ones are 16" dated 1942-43 and are "Model 1942's". When the Army "modernized" in 1943 the 16" bayonet was considerred to long and the 10" "Model M-1" came to be. Due to the war the military cut down most of the 1905s and 1942s on hand, thus the 10" "Model 1905-E1" came to be. The Navy had a plastic MKII also for training, 16" black version of the 1905.......Guess Sailors could'nt be trusted with real bayonets?:bigsmyl2:Coles books or Janzens book are good references.[/SIZE]

NickSS
11-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Well I guess I am lucky as I have a wood handled 1905 from WW I and a 42 from WW II both with 16 inch blades and three 10 inch ones (one cut down and 2 originals) The most memorable one is the 42 one. My Dad Used to work back in the 50s for a CBS rehearsal studio in NYC. He got the bayonet from the Phil Silvers Show were they were Using for a prop. He gave it to me when I was 8 but my mother promptly took it away from me as she was afraid I would stick it in my brother. She told me I could not have it back until I could reach it on the shelf in her closet while standing on the floor. I think I got it back when I was 12 and more responsible.

10-x
11-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Prices on 05's and 42's are through the roof, just check fleabay or your local gun show. Post Korean war M-5'a/M5 A-1s are still reasonable, as in under $100.
Remember the old surplus stores from the 50's 60's? barrels of bayonets, "T" handle shovels, WWII Camo........If we had only known what this stuff is worth today.......[smilie=1: