PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks and lube

acoilfld
11-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Have been casting pistol bullets (45) for the last few years and decided to give some 30 cal rifle bullets a try. This is my first experience with gas checked bullets - do I still need to lube them when I am using the checks?? I assume so - but thought that I better check.
Thanks in advance.

AC

ph4570
11-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Yes, you need to lube gas checked boolits.

acoilfld
11-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Thought so,

Thanks for the help

Tazman1602
11-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Have been casting pistol bullets (45) for the last few years and decided to give some 30 cal rifle bullets a try. This is my first experience with gas checked bullets - do I still need to lube them when I am using the checks?? I assume so - but thought that I better check.
Thanks in advance.

AC

Do yourself a favor with that .30 cal too. My handgun cast bullets and my big .458 cast bullets will take the GC at the same time I lube and size them with little problems, minimal culls. I just sized and GC'd about 300 .30 cal 173 grainers that I'd spent hours making perfect. I *thought* the sizer felt a little "funny" when I did this. When I looked over the batch about half had not seated right, had crooked bottoms, etc so back in the remelt pile they went.

It's been a while since I cast for .30 cal, just getting back to doing it since finding this forum so don't laugh too hard. Then I looked on my bench and lo and behold, theres a Lyman Gas Check seater. "What did I buy th...a.....t fooooorrr..OH NO" then it hit me. On .30 cals I ended up seating the GC separately in the sizer but now can't remember whether I seated GC and then lubed or the other way around. 'Bout to make a post on that so these fine fellows can straighten me out AGAIN.....

At any rate if you're seating GC's and sizing lubing at the same time do yourself a favor and make sure they're seating properly unless you want bullets all over the target...

Art