PDA

View Full Version : Sighted in my Type 97 AGAIN!

Mike Venturino
11-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Well, my Type 97 6.5mm didn't STAY sighted in and I found that the mount screws and their holes had been almost completely stripped in the past and when I tightened them down last time, that ended their relationship.

So I took the rifle to a local gunsmith, he threaded the holes and put new screws in and I picked the Type 97 up again this morning.

It took most of the afternoon in shooting and shimming but I finally got it done. Locked everything down and then shot the rest of my ammo at steel plates at 100, 200, and 300 yards. So now I'm happy again.

MLV

Ben
11-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Mike :

What about a few pics ?

Ben

Buckshot
11-11-2009, 03:23 AM
So now I'm happy again. MLV

..............There is really nothing quite like being happy :-) (gun stuff aside!) Or possibly 'pleasantly satisfied' might be better? If you walk around happy some will think there's something wrong with you, or you've been at the herbs again.

I too was in such a state (pleasantly satisfied) Monday, and it also was about an ex-military rifle. My brother had given me a CZ24 he'd bought, and due to a totally wasted bore he was disatisfied with it, so he discarded it in my direction. Over time I aquired a new military Mauser profile barrel chambered 308. Just recently I had had it installed and then I reassembled the rifle.

I had fun fire forming 100 new R-P cases at the range Monday, and gad-zooks it'll shoot! A shooting buddy asked why I'd invest money like that in an old Milsurp rifle, and then still end up with an old milsurp rifle? I really couldn't put it into words. The rifle's solid with nothing broken, cracked, bent or cobbled up. The stock has it's share of dings and compressions, yet the solid craftmanship is still evident.

Maybe it's like being able to fly any kind of airplane you'd want to. There are those who'd natually want to try the F22 Raptor. I'd be the one to pick the Spad :-)

...............Buckshot

Mike Venturino
11-11-2009, 06:33 AM
Ben: here's a photo of the Type 97 at bottom with a standard Type 99 7.7mm at top for comparison. That's about all the photos I have right now but I'll be shooting it for group soon so I'll post some. I've just got to wait out the wind some to do that.

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/MLV1/4-22-08110.jpg

Ben
11-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks Mike:

Those are beauties indeed.

Thanks for sharing with all of us,

Ben

Mike Venturino
11-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Buckshot: I know what you mean. A couple of friends stopped by while I was "shooting & shimming" that Type 97. Both asked why in the world I would spend good powder, primers, and projectiles, not to mention time on an "old Jap rifle."

I told them if they had to ask then they wouldn't understand.

MLV

StarMetal
11-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Buckshot: I know what you mean. A couple of friends stopped by while I was "shooting & shimming" that Type 97. Both asked why in the world I would spend good powder, primers, and projectiles, not to mention time on an "old Jap rifle."

I told them if they had to ask then they wouldn't understand.

MLV

Mike,

What comes to my mind is satisfaction.

Joe

riceone
11-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Mike that is one pretty rifle. Ya'll keep posting things about Japaneses rifle and I start checking without Ben emailing me. I have a 97 but have never shot it and don't guess I will. I've heard of damage to the 70 year old scopes from shooting and don't want to take a chance on mine. Besides I have made a mount to use a commercial scope if I want to shoot. Both those rifles are winners. riceone.

MtGun44
11-12-2009, 01:38 AM
Mike,

Do they all have chromed bores? My 99 does, but I don't know if this is normal or
unusual. Bore in mine is amazing and the gun is very accurate. I found the weird
forward peep and the wide "A" front sight with a sharp tip to be excellent for accuracy
for my eyes. Strange rear and front, but they worked for me. I hope yours is accurate,
too.

Bill

Mike Venturino
11-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Bill, As far as I know only the Type 99s had cromed bores. That one shown in the above photo is mine too. It shoots ok but not great. I haven't put much time or effort into figuring out a load for it but that's going to change very soon. Next it will be interesting to see how that Type 97 does with cast bullets.

Just Duke
11-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Bill, As far as I know only the Type 99s had cromed bores. That one shown in the above photo is mine too. It shoots ok but not great. I haven't put much time or effort into figuring out a load for it but that's going to change very soon. Next it will be interesting to see how that Type 97 does with cast bullets.

That's some good shooting for an old curio relic Mike. :bigsmyl2:

budman46
11-13-2009, 08:26 AM
i don't want to know how much of a blockhead i am for passing on a pretty nice 99 for $175 a few weeks ago.

i have no original configuration ww2 american, jap or italian rifles in my collection so far, but if i see the jap again one of those will be crossed of the list.

budman

kywoodwrkr
11-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Budman,
Really depends on the codes on the left side of the receiver.
Sounds lofty I know but with the Japanese rifles, this is especially true.
I bought 16 rifles a few years back for $100 @.
Luckily some of them were very good examples.
That means some weren't!
Many folks think a Japanese rifle's firing pin and safety knob and various other parts should match the last digits of the serial number.
Not true.
They will have an assembly number under the frame(usually) which is then matched to these.
SO if you have a 'mismatched' rifle or find one, check this before you discard as a mismatch, especially if all the bolt matches itself.
Many were assembled from a pile of actions and bolts, but many are still as issued.
I used to have a link to an outstanding website which documented all of this in tabular form.
FWIW

StarMetal
11-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Budman,
Really depends on the codes on the left side of the receiver.
Sounds lofty I know but with the Japanese rifles, this is especially true.
I bought 16 rifles a few years back for $100 @.
Luckily some of them were very good examples.
That means some weren't!
Many folks think a Japanese rifle's firing pin and safety knob and various other parts should match the last digits of the serial number.
Not true.
They will have an assembly number under the frame(usually) which is then matched to these.
SO if you have a 'mismatched' rifle or find one, check this before you discard as a mismatch, especially if all the bolt matches itself.
Many were assembled from a pile of actions and bolts, but many are still as issued.
I used to have a link to an outstanding website which documented all of this in tabular form.
FWIW

kywoodwrker,

I believe you are only partly correct. It depends on which arsenal it was made at as to what the bolt numbers match. Take a look at this website near the bottom on that explanation:

http://emoryholst.com/index.php/2009/01/my-collection-of-japanese-model-99-ariskas/

Joe

kywoodwrkr
11-13-2009, 04:54 PM
kywoodwrker,

I believe you are only partly correct. It depends on which arsenal it was made at as to what the bolt numbers match. Joe
Joe,
Now you know why I don't get involved with those anymore!
I had sooo much documentation in front of me when I was deciphering those 16.
I just remembered that the bolts and etc didn't always match the last digits of serial number.
I do remember now though that a couple did.
I was too busy scambling trying to get my money back and didn't spend time 'remembering' all the details.
I did end up with a real nice pre-war 99 out of all of it though.
Now if it hadn't been in a fire, it would probably be a good shooter-oh well.
Dave
PS Those tables are the same(different link) or close copies.
I'd reccommend anyone getting into Japanese rifles to get a copy them!

riceone
11-13-2009, 06:31 PM
All T99 short rifles from "No" series to 40 match by the last three digits of the serial number. The Nagoya T99 Long matches by last three digits of the serial number. The Toyo Kogyo T99 long matches by a seperated three digit serial number found under the receiver.

The T30 Koishikawa both carbine and long rifle matched by seperate number found under receiver. The T35 Koishikawa also matched seperated three digit number.

T38 rifles made by Koishikawa, Tokyo also matched by number under receiver. Kokura T38 rifles series 20 - 23 could match either way. Kokura T38 rifles could match either way. T38 rifles made yKokura in the 20 - 23rd. series could match either way. T38's made by Kokura Arsenal Series 24 - 26 could match either waymatched.

T38 rifles made by Chigusa with no series mark and series 26 were matched by serial number as did series 27, 28 and 29, Series 30 made by Jinsen also matched by serial number. Type 38 rifle made by Mukden without series mark aso matched by serial number.

Information taken from Military Rifles of Japan by Honeycutt and Anthony.

riceone