PDA

View Full Version : modified 358315 mould

jbunny
11-10-2009, 05:07 PM
i just got done modifiying my 358315 mould. i machined .107 thou of the top
of the mould in my lathe. got rid of the gas check part. it now throws 183.5 gr
boolits. now for the question, will this unbalance the boolit.????
i know i shoulda ask first:-) this is for my 357 maximum project. my barrel is
1-16 twist. this is what the bullet looks like now. jb

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/357boolits.jpg

Ben
11-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Depends on the nose dia. If the nose is .351" or so, it just might shoot if the velocities are kept sub 1,400 fps or so .

If the nose is .349 or less, it may not shoot so well.

Ben

beagle
11-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Looks like it should shoot all right. In removing the GC shank, the biggest problem is usually a long base band and reduced lube capability. That design looks like it has sufficient lube capacity remaining and since you scaled off the GC shank, there's a normal sized base band.

I'd say it will shoot./beagle

trk
11-10-2009, 06:32 PM
The more the rifling engages the bullet, the better aligned it will be. I generally drive one through the bore (well lubed) to see and measure the engagement of the rifling.

Got a max myself that I'm looking for something in that weight range for target work at 100 and 200.

jbunny
11-13-2009, 10:02 PM
i want to thank all that post the very informative posts like bullet fit ect,ect.
that got me thinking and i did something about it. i made a mould cutter tool.
first i made a sleve that fit in the mould cavity with a .246 hole for a 1/4 inch
bolt. then i diamond knurled the machined bolt head that left 2 lines the the cut. back to the lathe and this time i use straight serrations as u can see in the pic. i used
a carburator 6/32 screw with a filed taper to the screw. i tapped the hole in the
cutter head with just the starter tap and not to deep. the shallow threads with the
taper screw expands the cutter a little bit at a time to scrape the band i wanted.
after i cut the slot i put the cutter in my drill press and with the cutter tool turning
slow speed, i had a small can of cold water in one hand and my torch in the other hand. i heated the bottom of the cutter from the bottom real quick and immeadiatly
shoved the can up into the cutter. i did'nt aneal it. a grade 5 bolt can be used to make little center punched, chisles ect. just harden and use. anyhow back on track.
it worked like a hot dam and quick. my boolits now weigh 185 gr and the added
support band is .351 OD the pics should tell the rest of the story. just put the tool
in the mould and squezze the handles hard and turn the tool. of course u do
all this like 2 porkypines mateing, verrrrrrry carefully.
jb

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/mouldcuttertool.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/mouldcuttertool3.jpg
in this bottom pic u cane see the before and after boolits.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/mouldcuttertool2.jpg

madcaster
11-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Hmmm,right intresting!

Ben
11-13-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm betting it will shoot now ! !

Ben

Blammer
11-13-2009, 10:19 PM
that's impressive!

let us know how it does.

Bret4207
11-14-2009, 08:23 AM
A rn swc?

jbunny
11-14-2009, 12:23 PM
A rn swc?
not quite. u have to remember that the hindge point is not veryfar back.
when u expand the cutter the front part would be higher than the back.
useing the swag formula, the nose part of that band is smaller.
jb

jdgabbard
11-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Very interesting.... When do you expect have have results posted?

jbunny
11-18-2009, 04:59 PM
wellllll sir; we have had snow on the ground for a month now and the poor circulations in my hands, it's hard to shoot with frozen hands. the powers to
be talk about globel warmming, they fail to mention that it's for the polar
caps. the rest of the world will be picking bannas on snowshoes. now back on track,
i have a NEF rifle in 357 mag on the way. this is to be a test bed for many things.
and when i have it all screwed up , i will chamber it for 357 max and start over again.
i have to get some lee sizzer dies and and comeing right along with the zinc alloy
bullets. lots more testing to do.
regards
jb

jdgabbard
11-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Are you looking into Zinc boolits? I'd be cautious with those my friend. And slug you're bore often... Since is much much much harder then lead...

jbunny
11-20-2009, 11:50 PM
well boys and girls; today was one step forward 2 steps back. more mould mods
was needed. i started with the 358315 and cast a 100 and started to lube size them
and the back driveing band for a GC bullet is smaller than thr other bands. threw
the bullets back in the pot and and my little cutter tool worked some more magic.
i then cast some SWC from a RCBS 38 162. brain in neutral, i cast a bunch and DIW. go to lube size them and that don't work without a gas check. so more magic for my
little cutter tool. all fixed now . i have been casting for quite a few years but strictly
for front stuffers. how do the guys that shoot GC bullets without the GC lube them???
hopefully towmorrow will be more fruitfull.
jb

jbunny
12-08-2009, 06:46 PM
more mould evolution. i thought today was a good day to stay inside and
puter. i modifyed my lyman 358315 some more. i think i uped the BC
quite a bit. the weight whent from 185 gr to 211.5 gr and much more
streamlined. it's to cold right now to go shooting. -25 all week.
the bullet on the left was after milling the GC off. then i made the little cutter tool.
made some more cutter tools today. hopefuly they will fly stright. OHHHH
for the radius i used the S.W.A.G. formula.
jb

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/mouldevolution.jpg

jdgabbard
12-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Watching and waiting for results...

jbunny
12-10-2009, 08:03 PM
don't hold your breath. at -20 this old cowboy don't go to the gun range to freeze his pinkies. i only shoot from the open house door and only when i absulutly have to in
this cold weather.