PDA

View Full Version : Cupped Base Boolits?

SharpsShooter
11-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Just a question for ya'll. I have been tinkering with a cup based Ballard Paper Patch mould in my 45-70 rolling block and using the following stack in a loaded round.

Boolit
Lube Disc
.030 Veggie wad
70gr of Goex cartridge.

Results are hovering around 2 inches at 100 yards and it seems there is potential. I do have to clean between shots so I'm thinking of just skipping the lube disc and adjusting the compression a bit to manage the stack height.

Question is ..with a cupped base boolit which is worse, a .030 wad jammed into the base or powder distortion upon firing??

SS

RMulhern
11-10-2009, 04:14 PM
SharpsShooter

Cupped base bullets, IMO.....will not get you into trouble!! Even with a cup base depth of .080"....my accuracy is very good to 1000 yards. And no...you won't have to worry about base distortion! I load anywhere from 114 grs. Swiss 1F to 118 grs., compress .175", apply a .060" VW atop then insert a .250" BMLC with another .060" VW and then hand seat the PP bullet. After a 26" rainfall over a 30 day period I fired a few rounds into a highly soaked buckshot mound of dirt that was almost akin to soup and when I find the time (betwixt hunts) I'll dig them out and take photos of the bases for you! The noses may be slightly 'kattywampus' but the bases will not be harmed! I have had Red River Rick whom post here and who makes excellent CBPP moulds cut my last bases at a depth of .050" depth and I can ascertain no difference in accuracy betwixt the depths!

SharpsShooter
11-10-2009, 04:38 PM
So........you are saying to go ahead and use a wad or several as opposed to no wads and seating the boolit to firm contact with the powder? I would think (yup thats dangerous) that an imbedded wad in the cupped base of the pure lead boolit might not be a good thing. Thats what brings the question to mind.

SS