PDA

View Full Version : ROA/Kirst 45 Colt Cylinder @ Trailboss

Dixie Slugs
11-10-2009, 02:26 PM
I have been still playing with my two ROA's with the Kirst 25 Cylinder. The latest is with Trailboss powder and trying to get a good backup load with the hard cast Lee 452-200 )305 gr) bullet.....that would group with the tound ball load....37,5 grs of Black Mag 3
The load I have settled on is....the Lee 452-200 (205 grs), hard cast and 7 grs of Trail Boss. This load, in the ROA 5 1/2", groups right on with the sights at 30 yards. Hitting the 10" gong at 50 yards is easy.
This loads burns very clen in the barrel, but does discolor the brass some...looks low pressure.
I have not chron'ed the load yet. but seems snappy.
Regards, James

StarMetal
11-10-2009, 04:14 PM
I have been still playing with my two ROA's with the Kirst 25 Cylinder. The latest is with Trailboss powder and trying to get a good backup load with the hard cast Lee 452-200 )305 gr) bullet.....that would group with the tound ball load....37,5 grs of Black Mag 3
The load I have settled on is....the Lee 452-200 (205 grs), hard cast and 7 grs of Trail Boss. This load, in the ROA 5 1/2", groups right on with the sights at 30 yards. Hitting the 10" gong at 50 yards is easy.
This loads burns very clen in the barrel, but does discolor the brass some...looks low pressure.
I have not chron'ed the load yet. but seems snappy.
Regards, James

I have to ask why have a black powder revolver if you're going shoot smokeless cartridges out of it? Isn't the allure of it being a black powder gun the reason one purchased it? Now don't you or anyone get the wrong idea, I'm not picking on you, just want to know why is all.

Now I can obtain 1140 to over 1200 fps with my ROA using Triple Seven and various 45 caliber bullets meant for the 45 acp and 45 Colt.

Joe

NickSS
11-12-2009, 04:10 AM
I use my conversion unit to load 45 colts with the same powder and ball load I load with powder and ball in my percussion cylinder. I find the cartridges more convenient when I am carrying it around hunting small game with it. The load I use is identical to the C&B load and shoots to the same point of aim (makes the same smoke and bang as well).

oldhickory
11-12-2009, 05:59 AM
I have a ROA and have been trying to decide if I want to buy a cartridge cylinder for it. I really don't see any real advantage other than being able to either leave it loaded, or being able to unload it at will. I just don't see the cartridge cylinders as being that handy otherwise.

Dixie Slugs
11-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Those that have followed my posts here and on Dixie Slugs.....know that I use one of my pair of ROA's as backup when ML for wild hogs. In past posts and tech notes, I listed round ball loads and conicals, with chrono results, with Black Mag 3 and 777. Then worked with both powders and the Lee 454-200 (casts 205") in 45 Colt brass in the Kirst cylinder. The Trail Boss loads was just continuing loads.
As for the Kirst Cylinder....I find it just gives me a setup for both sub powders and smokeless, percussion and cartridge...depending on what I am using the ROA's for.. It really all depends on what you what.
Regards. James

StarMetal
11-12-2009, 01:46 PM
I have a ROA and have been trying to decide if I want to buy a cartridge cylinder for it. I really don't see any real advantage other than being able to either leave it loaded, or being able to unload it at will. I just don't see the cartridge cylinders as being that handy otherwise.

I believe during the cap n ball era revolvers were more then likely left loaded. I know 777 can be left in the cylinder, just pull the caps to make it more safe.

Joe

Dixie Slugs
11-13-2009, 02:07 AM
Here in the low areas of Florida it is very damp indeed. We use CVA plastic cap guards on both our ML rifles and ROA's nipples. Some times both stay loaded for a week at the time.....James

lathesmith
11-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Why bother with smokeless loads in a BP revolver? Here's a good reason: Just try and shoot your BP loads at your local indoor range--you will likely get shown the door real quick. These conversions allow those of us not wealthy enough or fortunate enough to be large-acreage landowners to enjoy our historical hardware a little more than we otherwise would.
lathesmith

Dixie Slugs
11-13-2009, 11:37 AM
If we approach this thing about ROA's, we can really stir up things. It seems that there are various reasons why shooters play with ROA guns as well as other copies of vintage revolvers.
It covers the entire spectum of shooters from Cowboy Shooters. those the like vintage revolvers, and what all!
I have approached the thing from an attitude of showing the broad range of use one can expect from the ROA. Just because you lean toward one special use, it does not mean that there are others that like all aspects of the ROA are wrong.
Regards, James

vulture47
12-02-2009, 11:05 PM
StarMetal asked a good and honest question, my answer is simple. Back in the day the folks who had to rely on a revolver learned real quick that cartridges were a lot better than loose loads and many of the cap and ball revolvers were converted to cartridge use, and the factories started making conversions of their own before they changed over to new made cartridge revolvers. Now I know you all know all this ****, but what it leads to is this, I convert my cap and ball revolvers because I want to shoot a firearm that fits into that nitch of history where they were actually used. They are unique and different in many ways from the later models.