PDA

View Full Version : .45 Colt 250 gr. CAS bullet in .455 Webley Mark II case OAL?

The Virginian
11-10-2009, 01:13 PM
I am curious if I can use the crimping groove in the .45 Colt RNFP 250 grain bullet that is commonly found in the .455 Webley Mark II case which is shorter. I am curious what the OAL should be since the Mark II case is very short? I am loading 3.6 grains of Clays which worked fine with the Remington 250 grain HBRNFP bullet. This load was lumbering along at 680 fps and if I brought it up to 3.8 it went down range at 710 fps. Any input is appreciated.

1874Sharps
11-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Virginian,

You have a cool gun, one that is on my somewhat large "bucket list"! If you have the bulllet you cite in hand, you could measure the distance from the crimping groove to the nose and add it to the case length and thereby come up with an overall length. If that number is less than the overall length for the cartridge, then the boolit should work just fine.

NickSS
11-10-2009, 06:55 PM
The original 455 round was loaded with a semi pointed bullet of 265 gr and it stuck out the case almost as far as the case was long. You should not have a problem crimping your bullet in the crimping groove.

The Virginian
11-11-2009, 01:45 AM
Nick: Thanks that is just what I was thinking because it is a 250 grain bullet I am trying to use compared with the 265 grain bullet that it was originally loaded with, so how could I get it wrong in seating it too deeply if the bullet is smaller in the first place.

The Virginian
11-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Virginian,

You have a cool gun, one that is on my somewhat large "bucket list"! If you have the bulllet you cite in hand, you could measure the distance from the crimping groove to the nose and add it to the case length and thereby come up with an overall length. If that number is less than the overall length for the cartridge, then the boolit should work just fine.

I guess I was worried about seating it too deeply, but that doesn't appear to be a problem with a bullet that weighs less in the first place. Webleys are cool and if you can find an unaltered one it is even better. If you find one that has been "shaved" try using .45 Auto-Rim brass downloaded to 12,000 CUP with .454" sized bullets and enjoy.

The Virginian
03-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Anyone have a good load for this using Clays powder? Seeing it is similar to Bullseye in burning rate could I use the low end for that with Clays?

The Virginian
04-02-2011, 01:10 AM
Just for crystal clarity, the typical CAS 250 grain LRNFP can be crimped in the crimp groove of this bullet....How many of you have any experience do this? I just want to be sure so I don't wreck the gun.