PDA

View Full Version : Check this out

redneckdan
05-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Da redneck version of "pimp my ride (http://www.castpics.net/Der_Schuetzenvagen/Der_Schuetzenvagen.html)"

redbear705
05-07-2006, 05:22 PM
Hey ! That is pretty good!

But I think you should have a "priceless" photo at the end of your photos! :)

Do you have alot of open land that you can just pull up to and shoot?....it way to crowded here in Michigan...at least where I live......:(

JR

redneckdan
05-07-2006, 05:48 PM
not my ride, found it on cast pics.net shooting from a vehicle is illegal in michigan

BruceB
05-07-2006, 07:08 PM
(ahem)

You gentlemen are discussing the best 'shooting toy' I've ever owned. That vehicle is "Der Schuetzenwagen", based on a van I bought at sealed-bid auction from the gold mine where I work.... at a time when we were down to relatively few employees, and hence little competition. At the same auction, I bought my Detroit Diesel generator, 12KW/230 volts, one ton in weight, and just overhauled, for $489.00....

I really did pay $379.00 for the van, and spent a LOT more than that in getting it licensed, insured, and then outfitted as a shooting lab. There've been many changes since the photos were taken, although the basic layout remains the same.

It now has a ceiling-mounted spotting scope, a curtain for keeping those heavy cases ejected from my Garand from damaging the windows, a compressed-air barrel-cooling rig for Nevada summers, a chronograph boom adjustable for windage and elevation from the shooting position, and now there's a cleaning/'smithing bench where that second seat appears in the photos. Also built a rack for cased rifles immediately behind the driver & shotgun seats up front. Did I mention that it has nice, cold air-conditioning?

This vehicle had a great deal of input from certain members who now call this Board "home"....some was in earnest, some was truly wackily humorous.

It has to be VERY bad weather indeed, if it's too nasty to go shooting with my 'magic carpet'. The main restriction is if the weather is just too wet for the targets to stay on their backers.

The last photo shows my wife at a VERY remote location in Arctic Canada, many miles from roads or civilization, and the cabin belonged to a bush-pilot friend who loaned it to us rather often. Of course, he also got paid for the charter flights in and out! The gun is a full-auto 7.92mm MG42, which had to be left in Canada on our emigration to the USA, along with our Bren LMG.

(My Mother was born in Hancock MI and lived in Houghton until my dad returned from WW II service in the Canadian Army, finished his degree at (then) Michigan Tech and moved us to Canada in '47.)

wills
05-07-2006, 07:38 PM
How about some current pictures?

redneckdan
05-07-2006, 08:34 PM
(ahem)

(My Mother was born in Hancock MI and lived in Houghton until my dad returned from WW II service in the Canadian Army, finished his degree at (then) Michigan Tech and moved us to Canada in '47.)

Its still michigan tech, used to be michigan college of mining and technology. I attend MTU currently for an MET BS.

I was wondering who owned that. If I built one, I think I would go with a cube van, more head room.

NVcurmudgeon
05-08-2006, 02:45 AM
Since my move to Nevada, I am privileged to enjoy "Der Schutzenwagen" several times a year. Every time is see it there are new innovations to this constantly evolving mobile ballistic laboratory. One great advantage is that it is really difficult for Bruce to have forgotten anything at home when he has arrived at the range.