PDA

View Full Version : Just have to vent

peter nap
11-09-2009, 01:43 PM
I called Alliant today with a question about 410 powder. I got the same thing I always get, a recording. I left a message as I always do and as always, I don't expect a call back. Never have gotten one or a reply to email.

It made me mad so I called IMR to see if there was a close powder to use. Sometimes I get good answers from IMR, sometimes I don't. There is one tech that I'm sure irons his underwear. I never get a straight answer from him....Just my luck today, I got him and still don't have an answer. At least I got someone to answer the phone.

I'll do what I always do. Get as much information as I can off of the net, load some shells and see if I start showing pressure signs. Hard to do with shotgun loads but it's either that, or stick with published loads.

I understand liability and I understand if they don't want to give information, but why tell me BS that's only half true.

In IMR's case, this same anal twerp that doesn't want to talk about rifle powders in Shotguns, is the same person that told me I COULD safely fill a 45/70 case to the bullet base, with Trail Boss and when I called back to get an estimated velocity with 18 grains, told me I was hitting around 1500 fps. Never mentioned I was pushing the envelope with the stuff. I'm glad I didn't follow what he said with a 45/120.

StarMetal
11-09-2009, 04:14 PM
I called Alliant today with a question about 410 powder. I got the same thing I always get, a recording. I left a message as I always do and as always, I don't expect a call back. Never have gotten one or a reply to email.

It made me mad so I called IMR to see if there was a close powder to use. Sometimes I get good answers from IMR, sometimes I don't. There is one tech that I'm sure irons his underwear. I never get a straight answer from him....Just my luck today, I got him and still don't have an answer. At least I got someone to answer the phone.

I'll do what I always do. Get as much information as I can off of the net, load some shells and see if I start showing pressure signs. Hard to do with shotgun loads but it's either that, or stick with published loads.

I understand liability and I understand if they don't want to give information, but why tell me BS that's only half true.

In IMR's case, this same anal twerp that doesn't want to talk about rifle powders in Shotguns, is the same person that told me I COULD safely fill a 45/70 case to the bullet base, with Trail Boss and when I called back to get an estimated velocity with 18 grains, told me I was hitting around 1500 fps. Never mentioned I was pushing the envelope with the stuff. I'm glad I didn't follow what he said with a 45/120.

Drop Ben Amonette an email. I guarantee he will reply to you.

Here's his email: Ben.Amonette@ATK.COM

Joe

peter nap
11-09-2009, 05:39 PM

Joe

He must read this thread because he DID call back and apologized for the times he hadn't. Said he couldn't remember getting the calls. Now I gotta eat crow. He wasn't a lot of help but did tell me he thought 410 was too fast for what I was doing and RE7 may work.

That's about three times more than I got from IMR.

SORRY BEN!

TAWILDCATT
11-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I just asked accurate powder about 2520 and was told not to use in in low charges. I just loaded for 308 and 30/06 in Garands,it ejected and cases looked good.31 grs min was 41.

Beekeeper
11-09-2009, 09:47 PM
At least you got an answer.
I wrote Hogdon an e-mail 2 weeks ago asking a simple question as to the differences between IMR 4895 and H 4895 as far as loading is concerned.
I have IMR 4895 but a lot of loads call for H4895.
Still waiting.
Am not holding my breath.

Jim

Shiloh
11-30-2009, 10:02 AM

Joe

This is a GREAT reference. Thanks!!

Shiloh

swheeler
11-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Forget Hodgdons! I sent 3 emails asking about LilGun, no reply.

KYCaster
12-01-2009, 12:26 AM
I've talked to techs at Hodgdon's on a few occasions and have been very satisfied with their interest and advise.

Jerry

mroliver77
12-08-2009, 09:50 AM
I just asked accurate powder about 2520 and was told not to use in in low charges. I just loaded for 308 and 30/06 in Garands,it ejected and cases looked good.31 grs min was 41.
I picked up a few kegs of 2520 for $50 an 8#. I too run it in 7.62X51and 30-06 gas guns with cast around 30 gr. I was very surprised how clean and consistent it burns. A fluff of dacron tightened it up a bit too. For plinking I have been just loading without filler with acceptable results.
Jay

doubs43
12-08-2009, 01:15 PM
At least you got an answer.
I wrote Hogdon an e-mail 2 weeks ago asking a simple question as to the differences between IMR 4895 and H 4895 as far as loading is concerned.
I have IMR 4895 but a lot of loads call for H4895.
Still waiting.
Am not holding my breath. Jim

Jim, for years I've read & heard that H-4895 is slightly slower than IMR-4895. If you use a starting or medium load with either, you should be OK and can work up to your desired load level. Either is an excellent powder for 30-06 and similar cartridges.

Gerry N.
12-08-2009, 11:54 PM
I wonder sometimes why people get their knickers wadded over not getting an answer from an E-mail.

Servers drop emails almost as a matter of course. If you don't get a response, assume the message was lost, not ignored. If you really need the information, send a letter. Remember those? Where you took a sheet of paper, wrote your questions on it with your name and address, or better yet a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope, then put it in the mailbox? Takes a few days longer, but the answer is more likely to arrive.

Gerry N.

hornsurgeon
12-09-2009, 12:45 AM
i would never expect a powder company to respond to an email. i would almost assume their lawers would suggest not to as well.

#1 they have no idea what the person is like from the email. they may not have a firm grasp of reloading. on the phone you can get a much better feel for who you are talking to.

#2 there would be a written record of the suggested data. if the person did something and blew himself up, there is written evidence. even if the loader swiched primers or cases, or bullet brands, i doubt any court would be smart enough to realize that could be the casue of the accident, not the info written in the email.

if you need info or data, call. it's the only way you will get somewhere. even then, you may not get anything.

swheeler
12-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Of the dozen or more times I've emailed Accurate I always got a reply from Johan Loubster, usually within a day. IIRC I emailed him a question about AA#2 on a Sunday afternoon, figured I would possibly get a response on Monday-WRONG- a couple hours later there was a reply answering all my questions and then some! NOW THAT IS SERVICE

And JFYI Hodgdons HAS answered emails before for me, just not recently

TAWILDCATT
12-09-2009, 08:11 PM
I would think that with the push on for all items of guns that the phone would be the worst way.
Thank you mroliver: just what I needed.
now if the rain would stop,I could get out and shoot.at my age I dont like to get wet.

aganger
12-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Johan has answered several emails for me in the past year as I was laid off 8 months and had time to play.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Was just now reading Speer's new handloading book and close to the front (p.47) says "...imr 4895 and h4895 are usually so close in performance that the data is often interchangeable. However, we strongly recommend that you follow published loads to the letter."

The truth slathered with cya.............BvT

Newtire
12-17-2009, 10:25 PM
I picked up a few kegs of 2520 for $50 an 8#. I too run it in 7.62X51and 30-06 gas guns with cast around 30 gr. I was very surprised how clean and consistent it burns. A fluff of dacron tightened it up a bit too. For plinking I have been just loading without filler with acceptable results.
Jay

Hi Mr.Oliver

Do you have a load for .30-06 in a Garand maybe that works?

Is your name meaning an Oliver farm tractor? My grandpa had 2 of those. My cousin has them now. A little off topic I know--sorry...

chemist308
12-18-2009, 12:01 AM
...In IMR's case, this same anal twerp that doesn't want to talk about rifle powders in Shotguns, is the same person that told me I COULD safely fill a 45/70 case to the bullet base, with Trail Boss...
:confused: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!
Uh, 70 grains blackpowder and 70 grains of smokeless are just a tad different, right?

Gunlaker
12-18-2009, 12:13 AM

Joe

I emailed Alliant once and Mr Amonette replied right away. I find that most of these people are pretty happy to give you some info. The Hornady guys have been quite helpful. Sometimes I think they just get busy like the rest of us.

Chris.

dubber123
12-18-2009, 08:50 AM
:confused: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!
Uh, 70 grains blackpowder and 70 grains of smokeless are just a tad different, right?

Trailboss is so fluffy, there is no way you could get 70 grains in a 45-70. The 18 grain charge mentioned in post #1 likely filled the case to the boolit base. Not necessarily an unsafe load, but one that is absolute max with this powder, and that apparently was not mentioned to the caller.

JudgeBAC
12-18-2009, 09:35 AM
I've had the same experience with Johan at Accurate arms. Very prompt and helpful reply to my questions regarding using 5744 in a .44 mag.