PDA

View Full Version : Anybody looking for a Jap 7.7?

Char-Gar
11-09-2009, 12:07 PM
I ran accross this Arisaka Type 99 on Griffin and Howes website for $125.00. Seems like a better price than I see most other places. I am told the bore is good. Let's see if I can post a pic.

m.chalmers
11-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Buy it now! Or send me the address, please!

shunka
11-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Actually it is the "blanks only no live ammo" training rifle, and it is currently at $175:
Guns International #: 100103355
Lister Inventory #: ARI31
Arisaka - 99 - 7.7 mm caliber -
Description:
Arisaka - 99 - 7.7 mm caliber - Barrel length: 30 Sights: Front post Weight: 8 lbs, 10 oz Overall condition: Good Stock condition: Very Good Metal condition: Good Stock original finish Metal: original finish Type of Case: none Pad thickness: " Manufactured in: Japan Item Number: ARI31 Lop: 13 1/4 " Comments: This is a training rifle and is to be fired with blanks not live ammo.

Price: $175.00

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Arisaka---99---77-mm-caliber--.cfm?gun_id=100103355

Char-Gar
11-09-2009, 11:20 PM
No it is not a blank firing training rifle. It is a type 99 Arisaka in 7.7X58. It still has the dust cover, which is not common. It was a clunky and noisy thing that many Jap soldiers got rid of. If anybody wants it you can go to www.griffinhowe.com go to their gun room and click in the used rifles section.

StarMetal
11-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Charger is right, it's a shootable rifle and I might say a dang good looking one for the price. Definitely a deal for someone looking for a 7.7 Jap.

Joe

shunka
11-09-2009, 11:43 PM
No it is not a blank firing training rifle. It is a type 99 Arisaka in 7.7X58. It still has the dust cover, which is not common. It was a clunky and noisy thing that many Jap soldiers got rid of. If anybody wants it you can go to www.griffinhowe.com go to their gun room and click in the used rifles section.

You are correct, while I am unsure if the trainers had the dust cover, the trainers did not have the anti-aircraft sights.

I apologise and stand corrected. that is dirt cheap even if the mum is ground.

shunka

Four Fingers of Death
11-10-2009, 02:37 AM
My dad was looking for some many years ago, but his had a Jap attached!

Buckshot
11-10-2009, 03:47 AM
My dad was looking for some many years ago, but his had a Jap attached!

.............Bummer, I heard there was a rash of that some few years back, but it got all sorted out. While the rifles are still around I understand the attached Jap accesory is no longer available?

..............Buckshot

10-x
11-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Very Good price on the 7.7.....selling at shows(around here) for way over $175.00 and no dust cover.
BTW guy at the JAX show last weekend had a "Jap Skull" he claimed was from a Pacific Veteran.... the discussion then turned to all the Jap gold teeth GI's and Marines took.....

Char-Gar
11-10-2009, 10:12 AM
My former Father-in-Law served aboard the USS Yosamite that put into Yokahama the day after the surrender. The Jap guards were still at their posts on the dock with fully loaded rifles. This made the crew very nervious and they proceded to disarm the Japs. He got one of the rifles (Type 99) broke it down and put it in his sea bag and brought it home.

He gave it to his Father-in-law who promptly sold it. He was still pissed about that 40 years later. The Yosamite was a supply ship and the favorite target of Jap subs and Kamakazi pilots. They had a ring of destroyers around the Yosimite to protect it and take the torpedo if necessary. They took on hit from a Kamakazi off Okinawa but otherwise were OK. The plane hit the deck and ricocheted off into the sea. Good thing as the Yosamite was loaded with lots of bombs and that sort of stuff as well as toothbrushes and everything the Navy might need. It was a floating warehouse.

He was on the Yosimite from when it was comissioned until the end of the war. It was still in service until about ten years ago.

Hip's Ax
11-10-2009, 10:59 AM
There is no information on whether or not the Mum is ground and if the parts are matching.

If the rifle is both ground and mismatched thats about all that rifle is worth. If this is true it would be more profitable to part it out to collectors looking for parts as a rifle like this is unlikely to sell, at least to a collector. One or the other issue by itself is OK but both is a death sentence as far as a sale goes.

Nice that it has the AA wings on the sight and the dust cover though.

plumber
11-10-2009, 11:25 AM
My type 99 is a tackdriver at 100 yards, nice shooting rifles. That is a good buy, localy they are going for $400+ with a ground mum and busted AA sights. I lucked out with my new one at $700, but it is all matching with the mum, AA sights, dust cover, monopod, and bayonet. No import mark, so I believe this one had the attached Jap once apon a time, but not for long. Much better shape than the one Grandpa gave me.

Hip's Ax
11-10-2009, 02:17 PM
If you think the Type 99 in 7.7 shoots well, get a hold of a Type 38 in 6.5 and shoot a group. Totally scary.

I have a normal (short) 99, a long 99 and a long 38 and that long 38 is hands down the most inherently accurate mil surp rifle I've ever seen. With just a medium fire forming load, poorly fitting Norma brass that I had to futz with to get to fire form right and some non descript Hornady hunting bullet I got groups time after time that made my jaw hang slack. I can only imagine the groups I'll see once I get around to reloading that formed brass and work up a match load with Match Kings.

BTW, once you get an Arisaka get ready for the three ring circus that is head space. Trying to decide if the rifle is safe to fire can take a long time.

Char-Gar
11-10-2009, 03:20 PM
I don't work for Griffin and Howe, but I have bought a couple of rifles from them over the years. If you have questions about that Jap rifle (ground, numbers matching or whatever) call them up. They will go get the rifle and answer any questions you might have.

Griffin and Howe treats every customer like royalty. It doesn't matter if they are buying a WWII Jap rifle or a $50,000 english shotgun.