PDA

View Full Version : Resize just part of the bullet????

abunaitoo
11-09-2009, 07:13 AM
I think this may have been asked before.
I even think someone makes a die to do it.

It's the short throat K31 problem.
I want to resize just the part of the bullet that is to big to allow it to chamber.
Kind of like half size a bullet.
Has anyone made a die to do this????

Something like the Lee sizing die that can be used on a regular reloading press.
It would be just a short die that is adjusted by screwing it up and down to get the correct depth.
Some kind of top punch that would push the bullet out after sizing.
A flat shell holder like pusher on the bottom.
Might even be able to use it to seat the gas check flat to the base of the bullet.

Does it sound doable????

largom
11-09-2009, 09:19 AM
I have to do this for one of my 8mm Mausers. I use a Lyman 450 sizer to seat the gas check and lube with a 325 sizer installed. I could just change the sizer die but I have 4 lub/sizers so I keep one set up with a 323 size die which has an ejection rod [homemade] with a boolit nose cavity to match my boolit, just like a top punch. I then install a flat top punch in the 450 and adjust the stop nut for the depth I want to size the boolit nose to. Boolit is inserted into die nose first, ram with flat top punch pushes boolit into die until stop, ejection rod pushes boolit out of die with up-stroke of handle.
If your boolit was flat nosed you could use the standard ejection rod for the size die. You can still use the standard rod with a round nose boolit but it will put a flat on your boolit nose.
Works good for my Mauser but I will probably buy a throating reamer and lengthen the throat in the rifles.

Larry

Calamity Jake
11-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Look up smokemjoe on this sight he makes the nose only size dies that you need